Mouth Wash vs Warm Salt Water - Page 3 of 8

I went to the dentist on Saturday for a check - Page 3 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 5th Sep, 2010 - 10:42pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (8) »
Discuss  Mouth Wash Vs Warm Salt Water Mouthwash - Mouthrinse - Mouth Sores - Healing Infections - Gingivitis
4th Oct, 2009 - 1:28am / Post ID: #

Mouth Wash vs Warm Salt Water - Page 3

I have been advised by both my doctor and dentist that warm salt water is the best remedy for bleeding gums and bad breath. My doctor mentioned that mouth wash is great for those who are too tired or lazy to take the time to mix a salt water solution. But the downside to using mouthwash is, your gums grow accustomed to it very quickly. Whereas, the salt water is a natural antiseptic which heals very quickly. I must admit that I prefer the mouth wash since it is faster to purchase and use without going through preparation like the salt water solution. But these days, I am watching my pennies, so I have stopped the mouth wash and use only the salt water solution. Not a bad choice.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 3rd Dec, 2009 - 11:03am / Post ID: #

Water Salt Warm Wash Mouth

Name: OrientalBoy

Comments: Salt water is a great substitution. Remember when there were no refrigerators? We used salt on our food to kill bacteria and preserve our foods.

Rather off topic, but...
Water with lemon is also a great way to cleanse your urinary system, especially for the kidneys and bladder.

3rd Dec, 2009 - 11:50am / Post ID: #

Mouth Wash vs Warm Salt Water Health & Special Psychology

Lately I have just kept a small ketchup battle in the bathroom with a salt mixture in it to save time. Just shake and use then refill when it gets low. I know warm or hot water is better but if time is an issue if found this helps.

Post Date: 3rd Dec, 2009 - 3:13pm / Post ID: #

Mouth Wash vs Warm Salt Water
A Friend

Page 3 Water Salt Warm Wash Mouth

I know that I love to drink water with lemon juice in the water. If I am not able to drink lemon water I try to drink water that I added a peppermint candy to. IT gives one a nice taste to their water.

Post Date: 6th Dec, 2009 - 3:21pm / Post ID: #

Water Salt Warm Wash Mouth

Name: Terry

Comments: Thank you all above for the great suggestion of salt water as a substitute for mouth wash which, I do not like at all. I really only thought of salt water washes for bleeding gums or inflammation.

Post Date: 17th Jan, 2010 - 11:00am / Post ID: #

Mouth Wash vs Warm Salt Water

Name: DentalBee

Comments: Here is a quote for mouthcare with cancer patients. The salt water mix is more towards the bottom, but the mouthwash part is still an interesting read...

international QUOTE

Anti-Bacterial Mouth Rinses

Most of us came home from the hospital after our child's initial diagnosis with instructions to have our children rinse their mouth after each meal and before bed with Peridex. Peridex is a prescription drug, generic name: Chlorhexidine gluconate. Peridex is a particularly bad tasting concoction.

Dr. Mark, what do use for your son to prevent mouth sores during chemotherapy for ALL?

"David's oncologist wanted him on Peridex and I said "Not if I can help it!" I asked the doc if we could substitute 0.63% stannous fluoride rinse. He said it was okay. For the laymen here, they do the same thing, but the stannous fluoride does not stain teeth as bad or taste as bad, it prevents cavities (because of the fluoride), and the patient is more likely to comply."
"As a dentist I knew Peridex would taste terrible and stains teeth. Peridex tastes so bad that they put a flavoring agent in it. Problem is if you rinse your mouth out after taking Peridex, you rinse out the flavoring agent and it tastes worse."
"The stannous part of the fluoride is antimicrobial - it kills the bacteria that give you mouth sores. Also kills the bacteria that build up the plaque and tartar and destroy the gums. The reason you use Peridex or 0.63% stannous fluoride is to kill the microbes in the mouth. These two meds have substantivity, which means they stick around killing the bugs for about 8 hours. Mouthwashes in general will kill on contact, but don't stay around. I use the 0.63% stannous fluoride because of the above properties, but also because I think it is kinder to the mouth tissues. My son has not had one sore since being on chemo with the 0.63% stannous fluoride."
So, where do we get stannous fluoride for our kids?

"It is prescription. A lot of dentists dispense this. Usually the fluoride that is dispensed from a dentist tastes better than the fluoride one picks up at the pharmacy. At the pharmacy, they are generically filling the prescription. You still get 0.63% stannous fluoride, but they fill the prescription with the cheapest one, hence it does not taste that good. Let me rephrase that. The dentist dispensed fluoride, in my experience, tastes better because we want you to keep using it."

"I am using Stanimax, manufactured by SDI Labs Inc., out of Glenview IL 60025. It comes in mint and tropical. Used to use PerioMed, manufactured by Omni International. They have mint, and cinnamon. One mixes 1/8 oz. Of concentrate with warm water, making 1 oz. (This is enough for two adult mouth rinses. You may want to cut that down.) Swish for 1 minute (time it!) and spit. This needs to be used by kids who are old enough to where they won't accidentally swallow it."

"The salesman for the PerioMed had a daughter with leukemia on the 0.63% Fluoride Rinse and said she never did have a mouth sore!"

"Your oncologist could probably prescribe stannous fluoride. However, Stanimax and PerioMed are only sold to dentists -- NOT pharmacies. I am sure that the pharmacists carry or can get someone's brand of 0.63% stannous fluoride, I just can't guarantee the taste if it's not Stanimax or PerioMed. Best bet would be to contact your dentist, but alas, not all of these guys dispense this stuff either."

"I offer this as an alternative to Peridex. If your child tolerates the Peridex, stick with it. If your child's onc insists on Peridex, stay with it. My child's onc said it was ok to use the 0.63% stannous fluoride instead of Peridex. I knew my child is picky about bad tasting medicines, and I wanted to smooth out his roller coaster. It is something I could do."

"My son has no problem taking this. He is 6 yrs. Old. He is only taking it before he goes to bed. If and when he starts developing mouth sores, he will take it AM and PM."
Wait Dr. Mark, I thought you said that Peridex and stannous fluoride are preventatives. Now you are saying you would use it if mouth sores developed, too?

"If the mouth ulcers are chemo induced, I personally don't think the Peridex or fluoride will help. But they will keep ulcers down from bacteria and reduce opportunistic secondary infections due to low counts. So what I am saying here is use the Peridex or 0.63% Stannous fluoride daily, as a preventative and as a therapeutic agent."
Doesn't fluoride cause mottling of the teeth if it is used daily?

"You only swish with the 0.63% stannous fluoride and then spit it out, so mottling of the teeth from too much fluoride should not be a problem. This concentration of fluoride used in this home rinse is different than the fluoride you get after a cleaning in the dental office. So if your kid has ever puked after taking fluoride at the dentist's, the Stanimax or PerioMed is not as bad."
"Stannous fluoride is used in dentistry all the time as a therapeutic agent in the treatment of periodontal disease, sensitivity, and controlling bleeding after cleanings. This fluoride is more powerful than one would find in an over the counter toothpaste or mouthwash."

Our oncologist advised us to have our son rinse with warm salt water. What does this do?

"Salt water rinses are good because they alkalinize the mouth (opposite of acidify, which is what the bacteria create.) Use one-half teaspoon each of baking soda and salt in a cup of warm water. The alkalinity helps decrease the bacteria count because they like an acid environment. As far as hot or cold, I'm not sure it matters. The rise in pH (alkalinity) is temporary. That is why the docs are promoting the Peridex, because they last longer."
And what about over-the-counter rinses, like Listerine?

They kill bacteria, they just do not work as long as Peridex and stannous fluoride.

Anti-fungal Mouth Rinses

Patients under intense chemo are at risk for fungal and yeast as well as bacterial infections. Some oncologists prescribe Nystatin to prevent fungal infections; other oncologists only prescribe Nystatin after infections occur. These infections are evidenced by white patches in the mouth. Other names for the medicine are Mycostatin or Nilstat rinses, or Mycelex lozenges. The rinses are known as "swish and swallow", since the kids do not spit them out because this type of infection can occur down the throat passage as well as in the mouth. After "swish and swallow", the child should not eat, drink, or rinse their mouth for 30 minutes so that the medicine can have time to act.

Different brands of this medicine taste differently, as reported by child-patients. Ask your pharmacist to order a different brand if your child cannot tolerate this medicine.

Source 1: Pediatric Oncology Resource Center

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 26th Jul, 2010 - 2:33pm / Post ID: #

Mouth Wash Warm Salt Water - Page 3

Name: Massi

Comments: Warm salt water is absolutely essential for proper hygene. A rinse should take place after every meal along with your regular brushing. To this and you'll never have to visit the dentist for any major work just checkups.

5th Sep, 2010 - 10:42pm / Post ID: #

Mouth Wash Warm Salt Water Psychology Special & Health - Page 3

I went to the dentist on Saturday for a check up and cleaning. He said my teeth are aligned pretty good (despite the fact I have a couple of teeth that aren't straight). He also commented I never had any cavities and that my teeth are healthy. He also mentioned I didn't have any "active" gum disease and that he could see I floss and brush my teeth properly.

However, he noticed gum disease from previous food in my teeth that haven't been cleaned by a dentist. He did all the cleaning and said once I keep how I am doing now, I won't need anything else.

For me, the salt water was the MIRACLE worker. My gums were bleeding badly some months ago and I started using warm water with salt. I could see the difference from the first time! And now, it's part of my routine. I floss every single tooth thoroughly, brush them and then use the salt water.

I will never go back to mouth wash, warm salt water is a GREAT healer!

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (8) »

> TOPIC: Mouth Wash vs Warm Salt Water

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,