Hispanic Not A Race? - Page 4 of 5

WhiteCuban: QUOTE I don't like being - Page 4 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 18th Dec, 2007 - 1:59pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
The census does it right! Hispanic is NOT a race. There are many races within the Latino community, including White, Black, Native Indian, and even Asian. Some segments, like the Cuban community, show very few mixed-race individuals. In fact, Cubans exhibit a race discrimination behavior within their community that is similar to that of the general market.
23rd Aug, 2007 - 4:13pm / Post ID: #

Hispanic Not A Race? - Page 4

Wow I always that that the census really cared little about race so much as ethnicity. I know from a marketing view point the data they collect is valuable and ethnic back ground would be more important.

I never had thought of Latino or Hispanic being a race, I guess because in school I was taught that physical aspects of a human made them what they where ie colour of skin facial features ect. These features I think at one time where generally regional specific.

Here are some methods that used to be used

Typological Model 19th to early 20th century
Populational Model around the 40's
Clinal Model in the 50's

An interesting statement made on www.cartage.org.lb

Most physical anthropologists would agree that this human variation is not now sufficient to warrant defining separate biological races, varieties, or sub-species.

I guess now with world travel having been around for so long the old measuring sticks are perhaps not valid.

I have no idea what I would "label" my children as since their blood lines descend from *inhales deeply* England, Scotland, Ireland, Persian, German, East Indian, Chinese, native Jamaican, Spanish and Chinese, oh yes less I forget French.

As for me and mine we just say we are proud Canadians Eh! For Census I just keep filling other.

Sponsored Links:
23rd Aug, 2007 - 4:24pm / Post ID: #

Race Not Hispanic

If you refer to my earlier posts I quoted Websters and Encyclopedia .com but if I have to admit I am wrong I would have to say Hispanic is the term used to describe any region of the western hemisphere conquered by Spain in which they assimilated. That being said the natives of this region I.E. Mexico, Central America or the Caribbean were not White or Black or Asian. So if I were to say I am any race besides Hispanic it would be Native Indian.

And if thats not a race then yes I'll start putting human in the race box biggrin.gif

Post Date: 23rd Aug, 2007 - 4:41pm / Post ID: #

Hispanic Not A Race?
A Friend

Hispanic Not A Race? Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I stayed out of this largely because I didn't care which "word" we used to describe a race and ethnicity. But I suppose it does matter a bit. And having read on the subject, seems to me the U.S. government's reasoning is sound on viewing race/ethnicity. And the U.S. government is very clear that:

Hispanics and Latinos may be of any race.

https://www.census.gov/population/www/socde...racefactcb.html

Rather off topic, but...
Perhaps African is an ethnicity, with various races of white, black, etc.

23rd Aug, 2007 - 4:41pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Race Not Hispanic

shanecorp
So if I were to say I am any race besides Hispanic it would be Native Indian.

I think this really does sum up the issue as how can you really call your self Native Indian when you are not 100% Native? Or is one native because there is one drop of Native blood in you. This can be said of any race, or ethnicity.

Plus to be Hispanic means to be decended from HIberian Peninsula, Portugal, Aragon, Castile-Leon and Navarre were collectively referred to as Hispania back in the 1450's.

Jumps in that human race box. I think we are truly to the point where we have some old races left but the vast majority are of a new race which I will call mongrel for the lack of a more accurate word.

23rd Aug, 2007 - 4:52pm / Post ID: #

Race Not Hispanic

Tortdog, that's correct. Hispanics and Latinos may be of any race.

Krakyn:

Plus to be Hispanic means to be decended from HIberian Peninsula, Portugal, Aragon, Castile-Leon and Navarre were collectively referred to as Hispania back in the 1450's.

That's correct. That's why I rather the term Latino/a to describe someone from Latin-America. If the person is also a descendant of Spaniards then the term is correct. That's why Black Latinos (such as some Cubans) refer to themselves as Afro-Latinos and not Hispanics.

23rd Aug, 2007 - 5:30pm / Post ID: #

Hispanic Not A Race?

Yes I understand that perhaps I did nor convey that correctly.

I personally think most of these words we use to describe race culture a very vague and do not convey enough information to call some one that. By definition my father in-law is Latino even though he would never consider himself one. He was also called a Negro when he came to Canada though he is not one. People love labels and to me that is what the word Latino is.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 18th Dec, 2007 - 10:43am / Post ID: #

Hispanic Not Race - Page 4

Name: White Cuban
Comments:

"I think the US came up with the idea that Hispanic is a race and it spread all over and most people now see it this way."

The confusion came up because some uneducated American decided to put "Hispanic", a label that encompasses almost all races of the world, along with Black American and White American. The result is that Hispanics are perceived as the new brown race in the US. I'm a white guy from Cuba and I don't like being labeled as Hispanic because "Hispanic" = "Brown" inside the American mind. Since "myself" = "White" I have a problem with the Hispanic label. To wrap this up, there's an ethnicity of the English speaking countries. This ethnicity includes: USA, Jamaica, South Africa, among other countries.

18th Dec, 2007 - 1:59pm / Post ID: #

Hispanic Not Race Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 4

WhiteCuban:

I don't like being labeled as Hispanic because "Hispanic" = "Brown" inside the American mind. Since "myself" = "White"

Well, I careless what Americans think. The truth is that no matter how you look, your accent will always sell you out, you will always be considered "Hispanic" and probably assumed you are illegal, uneducated and that you do not speak English.

I have a problem with the Hispanic label.

I don't, as long as is labeled as "ethnicity" and not as "race".

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Hispanic Not A Race?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,