Hispanics: The Typical Immigrant? - Page 5 of 7

I will try to be as brief as I can be. I'll - Page 5 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 19th Oct, 2017 - 12:42am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Discuss  Hispanics Typical Immigrant This MAY offend you. If you are easily offended then DO NOT read this Thread, especially if you are from Mexico!
Hispanics: The Typical Immigrant? Related Information to Hispanics: The Typical Immigrant?
Post Date: 11th May, 2017 - 1:59pm / Post ID: #

Hispanics: The Typical Immigrant?
A Friend

Hispanics: The Typical Immigrant? - Page 5

KN,

That's the thing, there is right on both sides of this argument. And it's not just that they are contributing a service by doing jobs others don;t want. Most of them are contributing a service by making the US stronger. Like my grandparents did when they came here. But some of them come here to take advantage or to do bad things, whether as terrorists or in gangs like MS-13. Much like the Mafia 100 years ago. We deported those people and we should do the same now.

The bottom line for me is that when there is right on both sides of an issue we need to find a way to compromise. We come back to this again and again. That is what is missing nowadays, we have lost the ability or perhaps it's the will to compromise.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 11th May, 2017 - 2:23pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Immigrant Typical Hispanics

I always hear about them doing jobs that Americans won't do. That isn't really true. Their presence illegally in our job market has depressed wages in certain fields. Americans won't do that kind of work for that low of a wage. Take illegals getting paid under the table out of the equation. Let the wages rise up and they will reach a point that Americans will do them.

Ninja, there is a big difference between our ancestors and Hispanics. Our ancestors committed everything to come here. There was no going back. There was an ocean in between. Hispanics keep strong ties with the country next door. A lot of the money they make here doesn't go into our economy. It is sent to Mexico. If our ancestors had issues they weren't waving Greek or Irish flags. It really infuriates me to see illegals protesting openly in our streets waving the flag of a foreign country. If your country is so good then why are you here? I know what would happen if we were in Mexico illegally and were waving American flags around. I want people treated fairly but this needs to be fixed.

Post Date: 11th May, 2017 - 2:49pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hispanics: The Typical Immigrant? History & Civil Business Politics

Kyrroeth,

I agree with everything you said here. You have the right of it in… including what you said about wages. Immigrants do depress the wages, but those depressed wages also lead to lower prices at the grocery store. I'm not saying that is good or bad… it just is. Also, my blood boils when I see people waving Mexican flags too. That is absolute BS. My grandparents told my parents to be proud of where they were and that this is the greatest country on Earth. That's what they taught me.

But I think the people we see marching in the streets are the minority. I think most immigrants, legal or otherwise, come here to better themselves and for a better life for their families. I think their kids will be more American and their grandkids will be completely American. Or maybe I should say, I pray that is the case.

My best friend is a retired Special Forces Command Sergeant Major. He's from Kermit Texas. His parents spoke broken English. He's as American as apple pie and vanilla ice cream. His kids even more so. That is the America I love… the country that gives so much to us. It ain't perfect, but it is pretty darn good. Better than anywhere else I've been. I believe these new immigrants will see that and love it too. We should pray I'm right or we're in for bad times.

Post Date: 17th Oct, 2017 - 12:37pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Page 5 Immigrant Typical Hispanics

Tweeting rage: How immigration policies can polarize public discourse. A study of tweets in the months before and after the 2010 passage of Arizona's "Show me your papers" law, findings showed that the average tweet about Mexican immigrants and Hispanics, in general, became more negative. Researchers said the social media data was useful in determining whether people had changed their attitudes about immigrants as a result of the law or whether they had begun behaving differently. Source 7s.

Post Date: 17th Oct, 2017 - 1:31pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Immigrant Typical Hispanics

If you were to poll people about immigrants with more precise questions, it might help to define the issues better. IMO most people don’t have a problem with immigration when the person come in legally and tries to make a life for themselves and/or their family. When these kinds of people try to actively get employment, And join the society they come into, people respect and would endurance it. It’s when people come in illegally, working for a non-living wage and hiding income as much as possible, or get into whatever dole/welfare system is in place for free support, perpetually, that people generally are offended by. This does not mean that welfare programs are a bad idea, just abused, even by full citizens. Go back far enough in all ancestries, and we are all from immigrant pasts.

Reconcile Edited: Gknightbc on 17th Oct, 2017 - 1:32pm

17th Oct, 2017 - 7:11pm / Post ID: #

The problem is assimilation in my view. If [Mexicans] were to adopt the fact that they were Americans there woukd be far less problems. An immigrants culture should never override the culture of the host country.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 2 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.2%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 17th Oct, 2017 - 11:17pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hispanics Typical Immigrant - Page 5

I think no matter how you look at it immigration is a serious issue. While many do it the right way they get over looked because so many do it the wrong way. Then when people act out against America itself that causes many hurt feelings.

Post Date: 19th Oct, 2017 - 12:42am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hispanics Typical Immigrant Politics Business Civil & History - Page 5

I will try to be as brief as I can be. I'll address both legal and illegal immigration, as well as refugees in the following paragraphs. I'll start out by saying that no country can long survive being balkanized - and that is the inevitable result of mass-migration. This is not to say that immigrants are inherently immoral, or bad people. They're not. What I am saying is that without a common cultural starting point we will view the world in different ways, and thus we will interact with it in different ways - often having conflicting views on how to run the shared state apparatus. This does lead to conflict and animosity on all sides, particularly within large blocs/communities - as their numerical strength bolsters their will to shape society around their own ideals. This is just human nature and something that all people and groups of people do. The more influence you have the more likely you are to try to change things around you to suit yourself. Given this, I do not feel that we have any moral imperative to accept ever more immigration, especially from communities that are largely (Key word, largely) not integrating. Furthermore, more people means more city/traffic congestion, more pollution, a greater strain on water and food resources, and more tax beneficiaries who haven't paid into the system. I get that there are good reasons why many people leave their homelands, but that does not mean that it is our best interest - or in the best interest of the countries that they leave behind - to move here. Consider this: if we're taking "The best and brightest", does that not leave their homeland less prosperous and necessitate more foreign aid? If we're not taking the best and brightest, then how does it help us? Furthermore, what is wrong with people who lament/resent that their home towns and cities bear little resemblance to the ones of their childhood?

Those who oppose large scale immigration are often lampooned with the phrase "Dey took are jerbs" (Sic), attempting to mimic the accent of a low class southerner - in order to convey the idea that it's actually about racism, while is hiding behind legitimate social and economic concerns. That is, if they are not immediately characterized as some kind of supremacist or rabid hate-monger. However, in many states that stereotypical phrase about jobs actually bears fruit. In the 2007-2017 timeframe, 77% of growth of the labor pool of Tennessee was attributable to native citizens. Despite this, virtually all of employment gains went to immigrants [1]. Furthermore the rates of welfare use is far higher in immigrant households (51%) as opposed to native households (30%) [2]. So while an open borders advocate might scoff at the idea that they both take jobs, as well as use welfare at a disproportionate rate - it does actually bear out that way. Furthermore the presence of a larger pool of labor also provides disincentives for employers to raise wages/benefits, as there is less competition for workers. While not the only culprit behind stagnant wages, we'd be foolish to ignore the impact that it has had on American workers - particularly low-skilled workers, and those who rely on jobs doing manual labor [3].

However, that is to focus mainly on legal immigration. Illegal immigration is another problem in and of itself. Illegal immigrants are a net drain on the economy, providing a deficit of $14,000 per household. In the United States there are roughly 3.7 million households - which puts the total deficit at about $54.5 billion dollars. This includes benefits for children of illegals who gave birth within the borders of the USA, public education costs, as well as costs to public services (Police, fire, park services, and highways). These services are largely unpaid for. A common argument is that if we give amnesty to these illegal immigrants, then they will become a net gain for the economy, however, given that the majority of these people are below the poverty line it is estimated that they would go on to consume an extra $14,000 per household, putting the total deficit at around $28,000 per household. They'd also now be eligible for social security benefits and medicare. Amnesty would therefore have a short term mitigating effect on costs, but then once the interim period is through would lead to an explosion in costs. This would also reinforce the precedent set by Reagan's deal that one can break US immigration laws, and if you do it well enough you are entitled to services paid for by US citizens. [4] Furthermore, amongst illegal immigrant communities crime is astronomical - and likely much higher than what we know since many victims who are also illegal are hesitant to report crimes to the authorities [5] The worst part of this, is that if the law was upheld then these crimes would never have happened.

This is to say nothing of the changing collective soul of the United States, where US teens and young adults will label any common sense fixes to these above issues as "Fascism" and "Bigotry", leading to them marching in the streets and throwing rocks and bottles of urine at their fellow citizens in the name of protecting the "Rights" or even the feelings of people who do not belong here. None of this is to say that these people who are here illegally are deserving of scorn and hatred, as individuals. Nor is it to claim that they're inherently bad people. It is to say that their presence here is not good for US citizens, nor the countries from which they hail.

Edit: for anything with a citation number, just ask for that specific site and the name of the article. I did have it all nicely sourced, but I saved the original post in word.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Hispanics: The Typical Immigrant?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,