Where Is Safe?

Where Safe - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 4th Jul, 2007 - 12:37pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

The world is heading to an inevitable path of destruction...
10th Sep, 2005 - 4:18pm / Post ID: #

Where Is Safe?

Where Is Safe

Before you start replying to this thread PLEASE first understand what this thread is NOT about:

1. It is not about the Second Coming
2. It is not about 'Stand Ye in Holy Places'
3. It is not about how bad the world is...

For items 1-3 above we already have threads on those. Now that I have told you what this thread is NOT about, let me tell you what it IS about...

This is about an actual physical place that we can be safe to live and raise a family where you do not have to be constantly worrying about the basic elements of safety. Are the Lord's Saints just supposed to 'cope' with a seemingly evil environment? Is it that we have to face these kinds of threats on our life all the time? What if you can actually feel the presence of evil around you.

As I read the news in Trinidad I cannot help, but wonder why would I even want to return there. The sole reason is mainly a better chance of employment, but really I cannot stand the country. The general moral of the country is despicable and I can easily see a New Orleans type setting were any kind of catastrophe to hit the island.

I am in Argentina, and it is the same, a reading of my blog would tell you how bad it is, and then there is something like New Orleans, look what happens in the great USA. I wonder, would it be the same in Utah, would people band together or would people forget their purposes in life and become chaotic, the natural man as it were.

So essentially, I am asking, am I supposed to physically live around this and merely hope none of it affects my family? Is there a place I should be living where I can want to have a huge family and concern myself with only service to others rather than about safety? Are we to live as those in the Book of Mormon where they slept with their swords or moved into a bundle to get away from robbers? Is there a place we should be 'moving' to?

NOTE: I will not be afraid to remove unrelated discussion, stay on topic.

Sponsored Links:
10th Sep, 2005 - 4:55pm / Post ID: #

Safe Where

Personally, I believe that, for the most part, the US is the safest place. However, you would have to carefully figure out WHERE in the US you want to live.

I am determined to live in the Sanpete Valley in Utah. There, I want to gather some family members, and some close friends, where we can teach our children together, and provide a degree of security to each other. I think this is the only way to really be safe, to create your own security.

10th Sep, 2005 - 5:01pm / Post ID: #

Where Is Safe? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I know the reasons behind that choice as we discussed in the Mature Board, but for those of us who are not US Citizens / Residents that choice is not so simple, in fact it is downright impossible. Plus realistically, the whole world of Saints cannot move into one valley, so what about us, the 'outsiders'? Many times I have thought about moving to a place where there is a lot of wilderness, where a great storage of food and supplies can be kept. I have often thought about Canada, but similar to what I said above, it may not be a realistic choice.

Post Date: 1st Oct, 2005 - 11:02pm / Post ID: #

Where Is Safe?
A Friend

Safe Where

That's a tough on JB, I was about to make a suggestion that is prophesied will be the safest place on earth in the near future, but when you added outside the US. I can't think of anywhere.

I constantly hear of wars in far away lands and kidnappings of others. Like the scripture says, "Ye hear of wars in foreign lands; but, behold, I say unto you, they are nigh, even at your doors, and not many years hence ye shall hear of wars in your own lands." D&C 45:63 So truly at this time the only place that a person would be safe is to hide in the wilderness, but even then if war breaks out in that nation even the wilderness will not be safe. The best thing we can do is prepare ourselves for when the day comes when either our lives end and we return from where we came, or that war breaks out and we need to flee to New Jerusalem (when it is time).

30th Oct, 2005 - 7:00pm / Post ID: #

Safe Where

There are some scriptures I would like to share with emphasis added in bold:

D&C 101:54 And behold, the watchman upon the tower would have seen the enemy while he was yet afar off; and then ye could have made ready and kept the enemy from breaking down the hedge thereof, and saved my vineyard from the hands of the destroyer.

The above is quite interesting as it relates to preparation and not becoming ignorant of the advancing approaches of your enemy.

D&C 38:29 Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land.

This, can be said about any country, but I feel it has strong references to the US where this revelation was given.

31st Oct, 2005 - 2:00am / Post ID: #

Where Is Safe?

In my opinion, any place that is sufficiently removed from high-density population areas would be much safer in the event of calamity, catastrophe, war, epidemic, famine, drought, etc. We've seen what happens when huge groups of people, all suffering the same terrible conditions, get stuck together: Hurricane in New Orleans, Earthquake in Pakistan, Tsunami in India. Horrible things happened! So my solution to that is what I've emphasized before in some of the survival threads: Get out of the city.

Now, as you have stated, JB, this isn't always attractive, practical, or available to everyone. Not everyone knows how to sustain themselves so far from "civilization" and the modern conveniences of shopping centers and such. Not everyone can afford to live far away from a workplace. Not everyone can afford to move to whole different country. In that case, we have to understand that we are not safe where we are, and plan accordingly.

Or, as some advocate, just do it: just change your life to live where you feel safer, learn what it takes to live cheaply, learn animal husbandry and farming, food preserving and canning, making clothing, etc., and then find a place. What is safety worth to you and your family?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
31st Oct, 2005 - 2:11am / Post ID: #

Where Safe

Insightful Farseer, and it reminds me... when people who have become accustomed to seeing us move a lot ask me wether I am here (Trinidad) to stay, I often reply, "I do not know", and really I do not. I believe we live in such an uncertain world that one really cannot know where one will be in the future.

At this very moment we are planning to secure things for our prosperity first of all and we are praying the Lord can bless us to be safe despite not being able to do better. I believe one important element of safety is having your own home, in this way you can control the amount of fortification in and around it, something that cannot be done at all when renting.

The other part of it is based on faith, as simple as that sounds, it is by faith many miracles are wrought. I am bent on exercising spiritual exertion to ensure that my family remains safe.

Post Date: 4th Jul, 2007 - 12:37pm / Post ID: #

Where Safe Mormon Doctrine Studies

"In our uncertain physical environment, we need to increase our spiritual nutrients--nutrients that come from the knowledge of the fulness of the gospel and the powers of the holy priesthood. When such knowledge penetrates our souls, we not only draw closer to God but we also want to serve Him and our fellowmen."
(James E. Faust, "Spiritual Nutrients," Ensign, Nov. 2006, 54)

> TOPIC: Where Is Safe?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,