Can A Lamanite Be The President Of The Church? - Page 3 of 8

I do not think any of that matters, 'tribe' - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 11th Sep, 2007 - 2:57am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (8) »
Post Date: 10th Sep, 2007 - 7:54pm / Post ID: #

Can A Lamanite Be The President Of The Church?
A Friend

Can A Lamanite Be The President Of The Church? - Page 3

That a person who is not from the tribe of Ephraim would be called to serve as the prophet in these latter days.

Sponsored Links:
10th Sep, 2007 - 11:09pm / Post ID: #

Church The President The Lamanite Can

I could not understand the relevance of your post since the Topic is about could a 'Lamanite' (whatever the definition is) could become the President of the Church or are we now saying that the term 'Lamanite' also denotes those of a certain tribe as well. Interestingly, Lehi was of Manasseh and it was Ishmael from Ephraim. So Nephi and the 'leading crew' were primarily from Manasseh.

Rather off topic, but...
However, considering that Packer is Levi and the next in line after Monson I think making such a conclusion is really another Topic: Can someone from a Tribe other than Ephraim be the President of the Church? Of course we will thus be assuming that the Presidents thus far have all been of Emphraim.

And (yes, I begun with a conjunction) for your benefit Tortdog, if you are going to reply and focus on my off topic then it is better to start a new Thread unless you also plan to keep with the main Topic as well.

QUOTE (Elix)
Why will a Member think that a Lamanite can't be the President of The Church?

Did you ask them? Again, there is this term 'Lamanite', I wonder if everyone is considering the use of that term, especially where you may be of Native American / Latin descent and think that it applies to you. I mean to say... why not say 'Nephite'? in either case, why use it at all? Does the Book of Mormon say we should distinguish Native Americans who join the Church as 'Lamanites'?

10th Sep, 2007 - 11:43pm / Post ID: #

Can A Lamanite Be The President Of The Church? Studies Doctrine Mormon

JB:

or are we now saying that the term 'Lamanite' also denotes those of a certain tribe as well.

I do not know what Tortdog meant but I am from the Tribe of Ephraim and I am considered by others as a "Lamanite".

Does the Book of Mormon say we should distinguish Native Americans who join the Church as 'Lamanites'?

Not sure but surely certain Prophets have talked about the "Lamanites" as Native Americans/Latin descendants. I do not recall which Prophet right now but he had a "Lamanite" scholarship.

10th Sep, 2007 - 11:50pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Church The President The Lamanite Can

The Lamanites are to blossom as a rose is what I recall, and once they do they are then called Saints or Christians - not Lamanites. Do we still call non-members Gentiles when they join the Church? Did they call those who joined the Church in those times 'Lamanites'? Lamanite is actually a negative term and hence why many of Elix's quorum had doubts about how a 'negative' could be a positive.

11th Sep, 2007 - 12:43am / Post ID: #

Church The President The Lamanite Can

JB, I understand what you are saying but you do not understand the fact that in Church "lingo" (including the example I gave about that "Lamanite Scholarship") Lamanites are called to those who are Native American/Latin descendants. Of course it has a negative connotation but they DO use the term, I have heard it and read it.

11th Sep, 2007 - 1:12am / Post ID: #

QUOTE (LDS_forever)
...but you do not understand the fact that in Church "lingo"...

Oh, I understand it quite well. Notice the wording of the question... "Can a Lamanite..." rather than "Can a Mexican...", "Can a Ecuadorian", or even "Can a South American...", actually it is more like can a 'dark' person or can a non-White become President? Think about it... what is a Lamanite even with a slant term - it represents a color - 'dark'. Just because it is used in this way is it right? Brigham once said "n....", does it make it okay? Lamanite was a term used in the Book of Mormon period to designate those who were dark and did not follow Christ - why have we restored that as a term to represent South and Central Americans now regardless of them accepting the Gospel?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 11th Sep, 2007 - 1:47am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Can Lamanite The President The Church - Page 3

I generally think of Manasseh when considering Lamanites (being from Lehi). I am not considering Lamanites as that term is used by the later part of the Book of Mormon (when it calls those who follow Christ to be Nephites and those who don't to be Lamanites - thus relying on faith and not blood as a determinative factor).

11th Sep, 2007 - 2:57am / Post ID: #

Can Lamanite The President The Church Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

I do not think any of that matters, 'tribe' to be honest. I am from Ephraim and so is my wife. I was called, 'The Lamanite' when I was on my mission, because I was the only person from the South American region within my mission, and thought nothing of it until one day my Mission President (White) brought up that there were no more '-ites', and then I pondered about the terminology.

Regardless of intent I believe that labels in Church has got to stop. There is another thread somewhere in here where something similar was brought up and it was also a 'Church term' used often with little or no thought. However, these slangs or terms cause these kinds of questions to be asked - this is my main point. The question received enough strength because of the term - 'Lamanite' - that is the subject. Do note... and think about where the question came up and who was Discussing it - it was not in a 'regular' commune of Saints somewhere in North Salt Lake where this would not even be an issue for casual thought let alone a quorum meeting.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (8) »

> TOPIC: Can A Lamanite Be The President Of The Church?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,