LDS Food Storage - Mormon Survival Food - Page 2 of 5

Mormon Girl, I understand that, there for, - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 4th Oct, 2012 - 8:40pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
LDS Food Storage Keeping it for 30 years or more! This Thread is specific to how Mormons should do it as opposed to the Thread available in the Survival Board.
8th Apr, 2011 - 7:11pm / Post ID: #

LDS Food Storage - Mormon Survival Food - Page 2

The cost of food is becoming so high that even the Church is raising her prices to compensate:

international QUOTE
Beans. Black 13.69%
Beans, Pinto 12.13%
Beans, White 11.88%
Milk, Non Fat Dry 25.00%
Rice 38.99%
Sugar 33.81%
Wheat, Red/White 44.54%
Apple Slices 24.53%
Carrots 21.31%
Macaroni 40.25%
Oats, Quick 48.90%
Oats, Regular 49.19%
Onions 21.60%
Potato Flakes 33.33%
Spaghetti 38.99%
Beans, Refried 27.72%
Cocoa Mix 40.69%
Flour 29.70%
Fruit Drink Mix 26.20%
Ref. Source 3

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 20th Sep, 2012 - 12:03am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Food Survival Mormon Storage Food LDS

LDS apostle tells Mormons: Stock up on food, not ammo

LDS apostle Dallin H. Oaks cautioned Mormons against joining or supporting "Right-wing groups who mistakenly apply prophecies about the last days to promote efforts to form paramilitary or other organizations." Ref. Source 3

20th Sep, 2012 - 2:03am / Post ID: #

LDS Food Storage - Mormon Survival Food Studies Doctrine Mormon

I'm surprised that he feels the need to mention this. Mormons are the most laid back - least to take action religious group I know. There maybe the odd few that will try to go gun-ho but the majority will just stock food anyways.

Post Date: 29th Sep, 2012 - 2:32am / Post ID: #

LDS Food Storage - Mormon Survival Food
A Friend

Page 2 Food Survival Mormon Storage Food LDS

Food Storage in the US, a very low percent in the Church actually do it, I mean like only 25% or less, it varies from area to area. I would say that in our Ward and Stake, it is around 40% or plus; knowing the results from food storage drive a couple years ago, on a Stake level. My wife and I used to be our Emergency Preparedness/ Food Storage Reps, and part of that time, we also served a 2 1/2 year part time Service Mission, out our area Church Dry Pack Cannery, attacked the Bishops Storehouse.

The Church has always said to store whole unprocessed basic foods first, food that stores well and will keep you alive. On that note, one needs to eat what one stores, if need be, learn to use it.

In more recent times, adding to the first comment, the Church has said, store what you eat. And most recently has told us to begin small if we have too, don't go into debt to acquire it. Now too we have the buy a little extra if you can as permitted. A extra can of corn and green beans or etc.

Now we have, seek to built a month supply of what you normally eat, work up to like 3 months; also work on more long tern whole grain and etc storage; focus on what will keep you alive and store, nothing fancy.

And of course a 24 hour and a 72 hour supply you can throw into your car for the day or the 72 hour, when you might have to evacuate in a hurry and may not have time to take anything else with you.

It used to be pretty much store wheat, rice, powdered milk, legumes, a fat source, honey/sugar or etc. From what I remember, this list was created many decades ago by Jack West, the one who used to do firesides and seminars on the Book of Mormon relating mostly to Ancient American sites in Mexico and a few in North and South America.

This list no longer fully applicable cultural diet wise in many places outside of the US. We need to store what we eat, and within our means. Then we now are more aware of people, who have food intolerances and other health restrictions. I have developed increasing intolerance to wheat and etc grains, dairy products, flesh of all kinds, have more recently been forced to become almost completely Vegan. Not so hard to do, basic storage items, but take out wheat makes it a bit more complicated.

From my own perspective, you don't need diary products, they are actually counter productive to your health, they are actually the cause of Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis, not the cure as most often advertised. Wheat is no longer a good choice either, besides many forms of Wheat autoimmune response diseases, including my intolerance to wheat.

Modern Wheat is not the wheat I grew up with in the 50s and 60s, it has changed. They super hybridized the wheat, to have have more production and grows now only around 2 feet tall, not 5 to 6 feet tall like it once did. Scientist are finding it is helping to promote obesity, heart disease and some neurological problems and damage. Items made with trans-fats and such, are not good for us, along with many of the chemical food additives. Maybe a mute point if hungry, but just makes sense to store what is better for you, if you can plan ahead.

More and more the warnings in the beginning of the Word of Wisdom in the D & C take on a newer and more clearer picture then they did for those living 100 years ago.

If possible, our land or yards should be part of our food storage supply, to provide more nutritional foods in season, and some for storage if possible. In my grandparents and great grandparents day, whether Mormon or not, they stored a year supply if possible, if you didn't, you may not eat; this was more essential the further you go back in time. The problem today, we have passed this off to someone else, as jobs and careers have become more specific. That is the advantage of a society, but can also be its down fall, if greed and pride enters into the picture at some future time, like we have today.

You may want it or crave it, but nutritionally unless you have some medical problem, you don't need dairy or meat with a adequate food/storage supply, unless you need animal products to make up the lack. Look at the Word of Wisdom, it says that all wholesome herbs in the season there of, and every fruit in the season thereof, to be used with prudence and thanksgiving. Flesh to be used sparingly and it is pleasing unto me, that they should only be used, only in times of winter, or of cold or famine. I have a hard time understanding why most Saints don't see that, it is pleasing to me, it is not consumed, except sparingly in winter, cold or famine. That the basic Constitution of our diets should be herbs, plant based food, not animal foods.

I ask no one to accept what I have learned, I ask that you turn to the Holy Ghost and ask yourself, but be honest and willing to act on what you receive.

3rd Oct, 2012 - 5:46pm / Post ID: #

Food Survival Mormon Storage Food LDS

We have a huge food storage but the big problem is it has nothing I like! I hope we never have to be dependent on it because I might die of food storage poison. wink.gif Why can't all the good stuff be stored.

Post Date: 3rd Oct, 2012 - 11:28pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormon Girl,

Can I ask, what are the good stuff ?

If you are talking about modern processed junk foods, then you don't really understand the Word or Wisdom. It may be delicious, but in most cases, not very nutritious, if not down right poisonous to your body long term.

Speaking as one, who's food storage has left them behind, we have plenty to eat in ours, but now being wheat, and animal foods intolerant, does not leave me with much, and don't have a lot of money, to add what I can eat, though have made a start.

If you store the basic grains, and etc, and keep them cool, they should store for 20 years, some for decades. The thing to do is use and rotate your food, whether whole grains and etc or more processed foods of today. Most packaged foods for for a year or two, just have to rotate you foods to keep them good.

I find that the best foods,the good stuff, are the foods I have learned to cook, so they taste Primo to me. I have learned, if you experiment, you can make anything someone else makes, more nutritious and better tasting by far.

Living the Word of Wisdom and creating a food storage that fits your taste and health needs, just does not happen without effort. Just like one cannot keep the Holy Ghost as a companion and guide without effort, the Word of Wisdom and food storage, is no different. If you have the Holy Ghost,and seriously ask, he will show you how to do your diet and food storage, that I can promise you.

I was talking to a non member last week, my massage therapist, somehow the topic of her daughter not liking many of the foods she fixes and all of her family will not eat left overs. I mentioned to her, sounds like you are all spoiled, she said spoiled ?, then when I described Spoiled, she told me, you are right, we are all spoiled. Even Mormons have become spoiled, so used to out of the box or fast food restaurant foods. I find more and more, in general, Mormon's are sliding further and further into Babylon and the world, just a observation, not a judgment against you.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Oct, 2012 - 2:05am / Post ID: #

LDS Food Storage Mormon Survival Food - Page 2

Its not really about junk food as much as fresh food. For instance something as simple as deli slices with fresh tomatoes doesn't really fit into food storage.

Post Date: 4th Oct, 2012 - 8:40pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

LDS Food Storage Mormon Survival Food Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Mormon Girl,

I understand that, there for, the essence is to learn how to grow your own fruit and vegetables, if possible. My entire home lot is only 1/4 acre, yet most of my yard is fruit trees with raised beds for vegetables. To speak frankly, many Church Presidents have advised the Saints to grow a garden, and not only feel good about yourself, but also harvest more nutritious and better tasting food. My entire yard is a research nursery, I plant the successes, then wait for the fruits.

If you don't have a yard, tomato's and etc easily grow in large pots. Food storage is not just putting food away in storage, it is also short term, by growing you own, if conditions suitable.

There is no lawn in my yard, I guess luckily, I am in a small town, in a old neighborhood, so no one complains. My yard looks like a emerging forest of stone fruits, nut trees, palms, citrus and etc. Stone fruits are done now, but I am harvesting pluot like plums, pomegranates and fruits from my first producing Jelly palm tree(Butia capitata). In August got a few avocado from a 5 gallon potted avocado, but my first planted tree is loaded with hundreds of fruits, that are getting close to mature enough to pick.

I am in a borderline area for Avocados and other sub-tropicals, but we can each normally find things to grow, if we do the work,and learn how to do, unless maybe we live at the north or south pole.

I can imagine a time in the future, where the problem may not be a end to society as we know it, but with the rising price of fuel, it could make it so expensive that if you don't grow it, you won't have it, a very common thing during the last great depression.

The idea of food storage is, first get a one month supply of what you normally eat everyday, just a little extra every-time you shop, then shove that to 3 months. Then work on acquiring more long term storage of whole grains and other foods that that will store well for a decent length of time.

In the end food storage is about, having a food supply that will keep you alive, to keep you healthy and from starving to death. To tell the truth, if you are starving, tomato's and etc won't seem so important. We are used with so much bounty today, our ancestors did not have everything year round, they ate things in the season there of. Guess what the Word of Wisdom says, eat mostly things, in the season there in. I find my body is much healthier and satisfied, by eating this way. It also encourages me to try and eat other things, and when my favorite foods are in season, I find the absence of them in my life, brings more joy when I do eat them.

I find subsentence creates greater fondness of life and things in it, when it is available.

Reconcile Edited: DavidLJ on 4th Oct, 2012 - 8:46pm

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: LDS Food Storage - Mormon Survival Food

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,