Waterboarding Torture - Page 5 of 8

Torture is part of warfare its the natural - Page 5 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 30th Jul, 2009 - 4:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Post Date: 25th Jul, 2009 - 3:25pm / Post ID: #

Waterboarding Torture
A Friend

Waterboarding Torture - Page 5

Is this one of those things that are like say as do as I say and not as I do, or we do not do it while we secretly do do it?

Sponsored Links:
28th Jul, 2009 - 12:37am / Post ID: #

Torture Waterboarding

QUOTE (dbackers @ 14-Mar 08, 1:16 AM)
We are using it on our own soldiers, Why would we not use it on a terrorist suspect?

You guys use it for training purposes and with a set time frame, cannot be compared to a terrorist suspect that you're trying to get information from.

Torture is Torture, no matter the rationalization. You can classify them as "lighter" ones and "strong" ones, but they remain the same: TORTURE.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

28th Jul, 2009 - 7:11pm / Post ID: #

Waterboarding Torture History & Civil Business Politics

LDS

Torture is Torture,

This is circular logic.

Torture must be defined rather then just saying "torture is torture". There are some who would say that I am torturing my child if I spank him, if I ground him for a few hours (by confining him to his room), or even if I raise my voice occasionally. If "torture is torture" then I have used torture on my children, and I assume many of us, in punishing our children, could be accused of torture by some well meaning individual who may not think the same way we do.

It seems logical that there is a difference between cutting off a persons toes, cutting into his skin, or drilling into his brain, and making him listen to loud music, not allowing him to sleep, and making him sit against a wall for hours on end. If we do not differentiate between varying degrees, (which we are not doing when we say "torture is torture") then we are equivocating between acts of true cruelty and barbarity, and those acts that many may find uncomfortable to accept in a society, but really aren't "true Torture".

KNtoran

The information we get from non tortured means is a lot more reliable.

This is where I feel we have to clarify what torture is and what non torture is.
Some would say that merely yelling at a person is torture while others would believe this is part of the interrogation techniques.
Others would insist that mere isolation is torture while others would say this is an effective way to garner information.

Torture must be specifically defined, as even mere detainment is considered a form of torture to some individuals. Specifically, without defining what real torture is, then we have little room to clarify what is merely harsh treatment and what is accepted as torture that maims, kills, and destroys a life forever.

Rather off topic, but...

Golden Grove Prison

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 109 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.9%

28th Jul, 2009 - 7:27pm / Post ID: #

Page 5 Torture Waterboarding

QUOTE (dbackers @ 28-Jul 09, 3:11 PM)
It seems logical that there is a difference between cutting off a persons toes, cutting into his skin, or drilling into his brain, and making him listen to loud music, not allowing him to sleep, and making him sit against a wall for hours on end. If we do not differentiate between varying degrees, (which we are not doing when we say "torture is torture") then we are equivocating between acts of true cruelty and barbarity, and those acts that many may find uncomfortable to accept in a society, but really aren't "true Torture".

First of all let me state that the reason I said "torture is torture" is because you are clearly rationalizing what is torture to what you perceive to be just a way to make someone feel uncomfortable.

I disagree.

Waterboarding IS torture and a terrible one as well, you are immobilizing the person (restraining them), then throwing water over the face into the breathing passages, causing the person to believe she is dying. It IS considered a form of torture by experts, human rights organizations, war veterans, intelligence officials, etc. It causes the person extreme pain, damage to lungs, brain damage from oxygen deprivation, other physical injuries including broken bones due to struggling against restraints, lasting psychological damage!

Source 5

Dbackers, that's clearly torture!

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

28th Jul, 2009 - 8:14pm / Post ID: #

Torture Waterboarding

Perhaps Water boarding is torture, I am not sure, but in my opinion it is acceptable if it has in any way saved the lives of any number of civilians (though I am not conceding that it is torture yet). If it has not, or if there are ways that are less intrusive, but more effective, then it is a waste of time and it should not be used. I realize I have put myself on shaky moral ground as there are things that I would not be comfortable with, even if they did work (namely irreversible maiming of the Human Body). So you are definitely on the moral highground on this one, but I have made a conscience decision to support the use of harsher techniques only if lesser techniques do not work (start at the bottom an move up)

In my opinion war sucks, and is not pretty. Sometimes things have to be done to people that I do not like. Considering that it has been used on very few individuals as has been reported, and only on high level targets, I am comfortable with it. I am as comfortable with this as I am with the Way the British and Americans treated Nazi Spies during World War two (summary executions, harsh treatment, hangings).

Rather off topic, but...

It seems that we are comfortable with Churchhill's firebombing of Dresden that left many Women and Children burned alive, but arguably helped curb the tide of Nazi aggression, but then we try to quote him in our abstinence of Torture we get queasy. Why are we more comfortable with killing from a distance that prevents deaths by hastening the end of a war, but we are less comfortable causing pain on a more intimite level to stop many deaths. It seems illogical

Reconcile Edited: dbackers on 28th Jul, 2009 - 8:15pm

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 109 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.9%

28th Jul, 2009 - 10:21pm / Post ID: #

Waterboarding Torture

You know what? I really understand you. Now let me say I am not in moral highground on the topic but just trying to call a spade a spade. You may feel comfortable with the use of waterboarding or other harsher techniques but it doesn't mean they are not torture, I think it makes you somewhat feel better to categorize it as non-torture because morally it affects you if it is considered as torture (just my perception).

Personally, I would probably be willing to torture someone if that meant to save a loved one's life, I think anyone would to be honest, it is not something I feel proud about though but in extreme situations as studies have shown, the part of the brain that handles your morals are gone!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th Jul, 2009 - 11:54pm / Post ID: #

Waterboarding Torture - Page 5

This is one of those difficult philosophical and moral questions that tend to bring out the passion in us all, one way or the other.

I really am a soft hearted individual(no really I am), but I tend to have little sympathy for those who threaten or desire to kill United States citizens through "terrorism". I tend to believe that it is more moral to do something really, really bad to one or two "evil" individuals, then to allow something really, really bad to happen to a larger group of innocent individuals.

Rather off topic, but...

I am not sure how far I could go on a personal level to save a loved one from harm. Would my moral compass change if it involved saving an innocent person I personally know, as opposed to saving the innocent life of someone I did not know? I am conflicted.

30th Jul, 2009 - 4:12pm / Post ID: #

Waterboarding Torture Politics Business Civil & History - Page 5

Torture is part of warfare its the natural way of getting critical info from the enemy. You wouldn't tell a soldier when you are being shot at only aim for their legs if you hit them in the chest or head your're in the wrong. rolleyes.gif

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 87 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 8.7%

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

> TOPIC: Waterboarding Torture

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,