Mormon Prophet Infallibility - Page 2 of 3

QUOTE anyone ever heard a modern day prophet - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 3rd Jun, 2014 - 4:09pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
25th May, 2014 - 7:31pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Prophet Infallibility - Page 2

So basically you believe that when the Prophet speaks he is always right? In few words, do you believe he is infallibly as long as he holds that position?

Sponsored Links:
30th May, 2014 - 2:56pm / Post ID: #

Infallibility Prophet Mormon

I don't really see that big of difference. (The key word being that)

The reason we have so much trust/faith in the scriptures is because we know they are true, through the power of the spirit. We know the book of Mormon is true.

The same should hold true to our leaders. Once we know our Bishop, Stake President, or Prophet is called of God. Then we know they are lead by God. That isn't to say they are perfect (Not even all scriptures are perfect, thus the reason for more scripture). But to realized they are doing there best with the abilities God gave them! I just say its better then what I could do.

1st Jun, 2014 - 4:06am / Post ID: #

Mormon Prophet Infallibility Studies Doctrine Mormon

The prophet, when acting as the prophet in official capacity will not lead us astray. For his personal self I'm sure he makes mistakes all of us do at one time or the other.

Post Date: 1st Jun, 2014 - 5:36am / Post ID: #

Mormon Prophet Infallibility
A Friend

Page 2 Infallibility Prophet Mormon

I do not believe that prophets are either perfect or infallible. This is the Mormon version of the Catholic doctrine of infallibility, and I do not believe in the infallibility of the Pope.

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that Jesus Christ was the only perfect man who ever lived. That means that prophets are neither perfect nor infallible. If prophets were either perfect or infallible, then Moses would have fought the battle of Jericho, Jonah never would have seen the inside of a whale, and the Book of Mormon would be at least 116 pages longer than it is.

The Prophet Joseph Smith said that a prophet is a prophet only when acting as a prophet. Some interpret that as meaning that a prophet is only a prophet when he is acting in his official capacity as a prophet. I do not interpret it that way. I do not believe that the Lord takes the Prophet's free agency away from him just because he is speaking in conference or acting in his official capacity as the President of the Church.

I first ask, what is a prophet? A prophet is one who speaks for God. Thus, when the Prophet Joseph Smith says that a prophet is only a prophet when he is acting as a prophet, I interpret that to mean that one who speaks for God is only speaking for God when he is actually speaking for God. So, how can we know when the prophet is actually speaking for God? Only if we have the testimony of the Spirit of the Lord to confirm to us that what he is saying is actually inspired of the Lord.

The idea that the Prophet would never lead the Church astray is a misinterpretation of a statement made by President Wilford Woodruff and quoted immediately after Official Declaration 1. What Wilford Woodrsuff said was that if he were to attempt to lead the Church astray, then the Lord would remove him from his place. The question is, how would the Lord remove him from his place? Most members of the Church seem to assume that the Lord would remove the Prophet from his place by taking him immediately to the spirit world. I think that interpretation is unwarranted.

The key to interpreting the statement that the Lord would remove him from his place is to interpret it in context. In the very next part of the sentence that immediately follows the statement that the Lord would remove him from his place, Wilford Woodruff says, "And so he will any other man who attempts to lead the children of God astray." Other than whom? Other than the man about whom we have just been talking--the Prophet.

So, let's assume that some misguided member of the Church attempts to lead the members of the Church astray--how would the Lord remove him from his place in the Church? Would he immediately transfer him to the spirit world? No, and that's not what we see happening in the Church. What we see happening in the Church is that anytime anyone attempts to lead the membership of the Church astray, the Lord removes them from their place in the Church by acting through his authorized representatives in the Priesthood to excommunicate them from the Church.

Thus, when Wilford Woodruff says, "And so he will any other man who attempts to lead the children of God astray," That is the key to what he meant when he said that if he were to attempt to lead the Church astray, then the Lord would remove him from his place. How? The same way that he would remove any other man who attempts to lead the children of God astray--by acting through his authorized representatives in the Priesthood to excommunicate him from the Church.

That explains why the Lord, Himself, gives us instructions in the Doctrine and Covenants on how to try the President of the Church for his membership, which is very clear evidence that the Lord, at least, considers it a possibility that the President of the Church might someday need to be tried for his membership in the Church.

All of this assumes, of course, that the members of the Priesthood would do their duty and try an apostate President of the Church for his membership if necessary. But if they have been raised all their lives to believe that the President of the Church would never lead the Church astray because if he were to attempt it, then the Lord would automatically transfer him to the spirit world, then it is doubtful that they would actually do their duty, and there is the possibility that the President of the Church could actually lead the Church astray.

Post Date: 1st Jun, 2014 - 7:35pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Infallibility Prophet Mormon

How do we know when a prophet is acting as a prophet in an official capacity and when he is not?

Post Date: 2nd Jun, 2014 - 12:31am / Post ID: #

A Friend

It doesn't matter if they are acting in any kind of "Official capacity" Or not. All that matters is, are they speaking under the influence of the Holy Ghost or not?

"And whatsoever they shall speak when moved upon by the Holy Ghost shall be scripture, shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord, shall be the word of the Lord, shall be the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation." (D&C 68:4)

The only thing that matters is, are they speaking under the influence of the Holy Ghost or not? And how can we know? Only if we are also inspired by the Holy Ghost which can confirm to us whether or not they speak under the influence of the Holy Ghost. That puts the burden back on us.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
2nd Jun, 2014 - 2:36am / Post ID: #

Mormon Prophet Infallibility - Page 2

Maybe he should tell us. In the days of the pioneers it was known when he would utter "Thus saith the Lord.. . " anyone ever heard a modern day prophet say that?

3rd Jun, 2014 - 4:09pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Prophet Infallibility Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

international QUOTE
anyone ever heard a modern day prophet say that?

I haven't but again, I do not believe in the infallibility of the Prophets whether they are or not in official capacity.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mormon Prophet Infallibility

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,