Tithing Develops And Tests Our Faith

Tithing Develops Tests Faith - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 3rd Sep, 2014 - 2:29am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Mormon History
Post Date: 25th Feb, 2009 - 3:07pm / Post ID: #

Tithing Develops and Tests Our Faith
Mormon History Related

"Just over three months after the Martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith, at the time the Saints were building the Nauvoo Temple, Brigham Young wrote on behalf of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: 'Enter steadily and regularly upon a strict observance of the law of tithing, . . . : then come up to the House of the Lord, and be taught in his ways, and walk in his paths' (History of the Church, 7:282). "The strict observance of the law of tithing not only qualifies us to receive the higher, saving ordinances of the temple, it allows us to receive them on behalf of our ancestors. When asked whether members of the Church could be baptized for the dead if they had not paid their tithing, President John Taylor, then of the Quorum of the Twelve, answered: 'A man who has not paid his tithing is unfit to be baptized for his dead. . . . If a man has not faith enough to attend to these little things, he has not faith enough to save himself and his friends' (History of the Church, 7:292-93). "Tithing develops and tests our faith. By sacrificing to the Lord what we may think we need or want for ourselves, we learn to rely on Him. Our faith in Him makes it possible to keep temple covenants and receive eternal temple blessings. Pioneer Sarah Rich, wife of Charles C. Rich, wrote in her journal after leaving Nauvoo, 'Many were the blessings we had received in the House of the Lord, which [have] caused joy and comfort in the midst of all our sorrows, and enabled us to have faith in God, knowing He would guide us and sustain us in the unknown journey that lay before us' (journal of Sarah De Armon Pea Rich, Archives, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University [typescript], 42). "Like the pioneers, the obedient payment of tithing fortifies our faith, and that faith sustains us through the trials, tribulations, and sorrows in our life's journey." Robert D. Hales,
Source: Church History Gems

Sponsored Links:
29th Aug, 2014 - 10:56pm / Post ID: #

Faith Tests Develops Tithing

I know we receive many blessings when we pay our tithing willingly and faithfully so my question is why is that some people (Despite doing this every month) are not blessed financially and end up asking help to the bishop? I know a couple of families like this and it's heartbreaking!

2nd Sep, 2014 - 1:48am / Post ID: #

Tithing Develops And Tests Our Faith Studies Doctrine Mormon

I am not sure the reason why sometimes the Lord seems to let people go hungry despite obedience maybe is a test of faith like he did with Job, I don't know.

2nd Sep, 2014 - 2:01pm / Post ID: #

The famous "why the Lord doesn't..." I don't know. Maybe that's the lesson they need to learn in this life who knows what HF has in store for each one of us.

2nd Sep, 2014 - 11:29pm / Post ID: #

Blessings always come from living the commandments. But have we ever been promised a time frame or that it will be money or financial freedom? Maybe they have great happiness and love, may be they are never sick, may be he/she are blessed with wonderful children, may be may be may be... But one thing I know God never lied nor broke His promise.

Besides, we do not pay tithing because of a promise or a tax break. We are our brother's keeper and thus provide stuff for the "bishop's store house".

3rd Sep, 2014 - 2:29am / Post ID: #

You know what? I never thought of it that way. Thanks for that comment. It's true...tithing could also be consider an act of service and a way to help our brothers and sisters. Good point Robert.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Tithing Develops And Tests Our Faith

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,