Game Masters: How to Recruit Players For Your Role-playing Game
So you want to start a new Role-playing Game but you aren't sure how to get potential Players to know about it. Here is what we do to help and what you can and should do:
What We Do
* Sometimes when a new Member joins they will state I want to play 'X' and if there is a current Role-playing Game that matches that we refer them to it.
* We mention it in the Role-playing Game Newsletters
Mention it on Social Networks and other sites (No more, see here)
What You Should Do
* First you will need to start your Role-playing Game Review Thread based on: How To Be A Game Master / Dungeon Master.
* Don't wait for Support or myself to tell new Members about your Role-playing Game, you do it - you may even 'sell' it better. Go to the Introductions & Member Sharing and check who has recently joined that might fit your Game. Do not spam, look for someone who is interested in the genre you are providing. An example only: "Welcome 'X'. I am the GM for 'Y Role-playing Game' and I will like to invite you to play. Characters can be created 'Z link to your Character Creation Thread' and if you have any questions you can ask there as well"
* If you are in a real life Role-playing Game group then you can invite them. People may be put off by Play By Post but it will be up to you to show them the benefits: a. Play anywhere on any device (This site is mobile responsive) b. Play at your convenience (It is asynchronous but they should plan to Post within a 2 day period if not daily) c. Customize your Character and layout (Chose visual effects for your Character Sheet) d. Write to your delight (More time to think about what you want your Character to say and do) e. A cultured environment (Moderators work hard to keep net talk, trolls, spammers and trash out)
* Family, friends and the neighbor next door that you caught carrying some D20 dice.
* If you are in existing sites or social networks where they allow you to talk about other Role-playing Games then you can link to your Role-playing Game Review Thread.
* Unless you came here via your own search it is highly likely that you found us from seeing me putting an 'ad' or announcement of a game on a site you frequent. Think about it, what site was that? Maybe you can do the same there as well.
Feel free to add more.
"When these five kinds of spy are all at work, none can discover the secret system. This is called "divine manipulation of the threads." It is the sovereign's most precious faculty." -- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
I've meant to approach a local writer's club, that's something that you could add to the list. Collaborative writing is not as common or known as it should be and when you talk about role-play writing it is intriguing for many writers.
While I haven't actually invited people to this site one sure way is to invite those already familiar with Play By Post. They already know what to expect gaming wise although being on a new site will take some getting used to.
I appreciate the feedback Hunter and Seraphina. One important point in inviting potential Players is to ensure the person is mature and flexible enough to handle the way the site is Administered. "Mature" is not about their age, but their ability to easily adjust and respect our Policies by not trying to bring in their way of doing things from another site to this one.
For instance: using net talk or the incessant need to spam. I've found that if you do not forewarn people about the cultured environment here then stifled feelings will set in because they will say, "I can't do what I did on the other site".
Here is a reminder to Dungeon Masters and Game Masters that you can utilize the tips above if you wish to populate the games you run.
I do know there is a reliance on our sites and me to advertise your games but really this is something you can do. It may even help to filter the kind of Player that wants to participate (Dedicated vs testing the waters or passing through).
As mentioned in the first Post, I tend to be 'shy' about advertising for other Dungeon Masters / Game Masters because of commitment and workload placed on Moderators. In actuality, I can only guarantee the games I manage. Even so, if someone does enter your game it is important to understand that they may need your help, please do not assume that they know how to play or even how a Community like this works as most only know the free for all kind of atmosphere that is common with most social networks.
We rest Game Masters: How To Recruit Players For Your RPG to share interesting fact from past years:
Today is: 20th July (GMT), in history on the 20th of July, 1901 AD the following birth happened:
Vehbi Koc: Indistrialist / philanthropist