Game Masters: How To Recruit Players For Your RPG
Game Masters: How to Recruit Players For Your Role-playing Game
So you want to start a new Role-playing Game but you aren't sure how to get potential Players to know about it. Here is what we do to help and what you can and should do:
What We Do
* Sometimes when a new Member joins they will state I want to play 'X' and if there is a current Role-playing Game that matches that we refer them to it.
* We mention it in the Role-playing Game Newsletters
Mention it on Social Networks and other sites (No more, see here)
What You Should Do
* First you will need to start your Role-playing Game Review Thread based on: How To Be A Game Master / Dungeon Master.
* Don't wait for Support or myself to tell new Members about your Role-playing Game, you do it - you may even 'sell' it better. Go to the Introductions & Member Sharing and check who has recently joined that might fit your Game. Do not spam, look for someone who is interested in the genre you are providing. An example only: "Welcome 'X'. I am the GM for 'Y Role-playing Game' and I will like to invite you to play. Characters can be created 'Z link to your Character Creation Thread' and if you have any questions you can ask there as well"
* If you are in a real life Role-playing Game group then you can invite them. People may be put off by Play By Post but it will be up to you to show them the benefits: a. Play anywhere on any device (This site is mobile responsive) b. Play at your convenience (It is asynchronous but they should plan to Post within a 2 day period if not daily) c. Customize your Character and layout (Chose visual effects for your Character Sheet) d. Write to your delight (More time to think about what you want your Character to say and do) e. A cultured environment (Moderators work hard to keep net talk, trolls, spammers and trash out)
* Family, friends and the neighbor next door that you caught carrying some D20 dice.
* If you are in existing sites or social networks where they allow you to talk about other Role-playing Games then you can link to your Role-playing Game Review Thread.
* Unless you came here via your own search it is highly likely that you found us from seeing me putting an 'ad' or announcement of a game on a site you frequent. Think about it, what site was that? Maybe you can do the same there as well.
Feel free to add more.