Negative Perception Of Blacks Rises With More News Watching, Studies Say

Negative Perception Blacks Rises News Watching - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 23rd Jul, 2008 - 2:52pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Scientific research on racism, racial issues, race relations, differences in health and medical treatment by race and related issues.
Post Date: 19th Jul, 2008 - 9:05am / Post ID: #

Issues Related to Race

Watching the news should make you more informed, but it also may be making you more likely to stereotype, says a researcher studying the issue. He found that the more people watched either local or network news, the more likely they were to draw on negative stereotypes about blacks.
Source: ScienceDaily: Racial Issues News

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 19th Jul, 2008 - 3:01pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Say Studies Watching News With Rises Blacks Perception Negative

They must be interviewing or getting some rather shallow people in their surveys. I watch the news all the time, CNN, BBC, Fox news to get all my international and national news. This has not caused me to have any more of negative attitude towards anyone. I do not take people as a race and look at them as they are bad or good. I look at people as individuals who are the same as I am until they show via their own action that they are not a good person.

I think this is going to do nothing but make people feel they have to censor the news to make sure no one race is displayed in a negative manner than any other race.

19th Jul, 2008 - 4:38pm / Post ID: #

Negative Perception Of Blacks Rises With More News Watching, Studies Say Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I watch the news, but it doesn't change my outlook about any particular race. I know and understand that the things I'm watching is unique to the people they are covering. If you think about it, there is a lot of negativity on the news about Asians, but I'd hope no one stereotypes me because of it. (I'm half Asian)

Post Date: 21st Jul, 2008 - 8:38pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

QUOTE (KNtoran @ 19-Jul 08, 10:01 AM)
They must be interviewing or getting some rather shallow people in their surveys.

In my opinion, the general population in both Canada and the United States are very shallow when it comes to racial issues. It's very disgusting.

Post Date: 22nd Jul, 2008 - 2:32pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Yes you could be very correct there Daria. But I still cannot believe that so many people would let the actions of one affect the way they view the many. I guess that is just another example of the news leading the herd around. I wish more were intelligent enough to form their own opinions of others and let the news make it for them.

Post Date: 22nd Jul, 2008 - 2:42pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Well it is a natural tendancy for people to stereotype everything to make topics easier to digest/discuss and the media does have a large influence in the forming of stereotypes, due to the fact that what comes out or does not come out of the TV is predetermined by an organization.

In highschool, we were taught "media awareness" in advanced English, which I'm really glad I took. The purpose of the material was to help the students have an analytical eye when watching TV, reading magazines, newspapers, etc and to be aware of what might be false information and what might not be. The class was taught how to make sure to find credible sources of information before accepting something as fact and how to interpret written materials to separate opinions from facts.

I think everyone would benefit from better media awareness to avoid forming stereotypes based on information gained from TV.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
23rd Jul, 2008 - 5:41am / Post ID: #

Negative Perception Blacks Rises With News Watching Studies Say

According to the article, the studies were conducted in L.A., Chicago,& Philadelphia, all large urban areas with high crime and histories of racial conflicts. I think if they had used a more balanced cross-section of the country the results could have been different. Most studies are skewed one way or another depending upon the outcome the researchers are looking for and how the data is interpreted. I really do not see that much negative racially charged news casts. And, as Daria pointed out, the media is highly inaccurate anyway. If you have ever been up close and personal with a breaking news story you probably have experienced the inaccuracy of news reporting first hand. It's all in the spin.

Post Date: 23rd Jul, 2008 - 2:52pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Negative Perception Blacks Rises With News Watching Studies Say Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

I have been involved with a lot of crime and have even been the arresting officer on many of them. I still have a good outlook on all races. I do not think negative towards anyone really. I know crime is something that everyone can commit and many of us do commit a crime here and there. I know I do it is called speeding. I have seen how the news media puts their spin on something to make it more of a story. I think it is pretty bad they can not just tell the facts to let everyone form their own opinion. I have no problem talking to anyone no matter their race and know I am not prejudging them.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Negative Perception Of Blacks Rises With More News Watching, Studies Say

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,