Morfeas' Warhammer 40000 RPG Review

Morfeas' Warhammer 40000 Rpg Review - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 1st Nov, 2016 - 2:05am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

29th March 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Cleric
Cleric
Paladin
Paladin
Rogue
Rogue
Barbarian
Barbarian
Draconian
Draconian
Ranger
Ranger
Wizard
Wizard
Fighter
Fighter
Warlock
Warlock

+  1 2 3 4 
30th Oct, 2016 - 9:06pm / Post ID: #

Since there is interest in Sci-Fi Role-playing Games and it has been discussed in the past, I am suggesting to start a campaign, as a GM, in the 40K universe. The books are made by Fantasy Flight Games and are well made. Long story short:

international QUOTE

"The Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay system is explained and used with small differences in a series of independently playable games. Each has a different, narrow focus and multiple supporting books of its own:

In Dark Heresy (2008), the player characters are agents of the Inquisition.
In Rogue Trader (2009), the player characters are important members of ship crews in interstellar trade and exploration, often encountering xenos.
Deathwatch (2010), has a martial focus. The player characters are loyalist Space Marines.
Black Crusade (2011), has a martial focus. The player characters are followers of Chaos (Not necessarily soldiers).
Only War (2012), has a martial focus. The player characters are Imperial Guardsmen."
(From Wikipedia)

The game system is D10, or D100 for some rolls (Which is a 2D10 die roll). The Characters have following 9 stats:

Weapon Skill (WS): Hand-to-hand and melee attacks
Ballistic Skill (BS): Projectile and ranged attacks
Strength (S): Physical strength
Toughness (T): Physical punishment
Agility (Ag): How quickly movement and/or dodging the chracter can have
Intelligence (Int): How technology works and understanding languages and writings
Perception (Per): How quickly the player notices things and in how much detail
Will Power (WP): Resistance to horrors and used to manifest psychic abilities
Fellowship (Fel): Used for interaction with other people.

Each system has its own prons and cons. I am more interested in making a Deathwatch campaign, since I am a huge fan of the Space Marines, but for everyone, the most flexible in character creation will be the Rogue Trader with Dark Heresy, Only War and Black Crusade coming next. Note that in Rogue Trader you can select also xenos races for characters.

You can find more about the 40K lore in the (2) respective fan-made wikias but I am willing to write some basic stuff here for the interested players, just tell me so.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 30th Oct, 2016 - 9:20pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Review RPG Warhammer Morfeas

Sounds good. I think I'd be torn between Rogue Trader and Deathwatch.

Bear in mind, while I am to some degree familiar with the 40k universe, the TTRPG of it has not crossed my path before.

30th Oct, 2016 - 10:15pm / Post ID: #

Morfeas' Warhammer 40000 RPG Review Reviews RPG & Card Board

The gameplay is simple, just rolls in 2D10 with the addition of each character bonuses and the event calculation. The world is a large baroque-medieval space opera, in most of the 5 Role-playing Games is mostly humans vs everything else on the galaxy. There are lots of uncommon places for campaings:

Deathworlds: everything has evolved to be hostile to everything. Ancient ruins, chaos cults or other elements can be found there. Famous deathworlds include Catachan, Baal and Fenris.

Hive Cities: cities that soar, almost, to space and where billions of people may live in a space the size of Australia or smaller. Some of them may span the whole planet (Thus named Hive World) and the city has been built in layers that span hundreds or thousand of years. Famous Hive Cities are Necromunda, Acheron IV and Black Reach.

Forge Worlds: whole worlds where they produce everything the Imperium needs. From simple tools, bolts etc, up to the largest capital ships and the Titans. Famous Forge Worlds are Mars, Deimos, Cypra Mundi and Forge Polix.

Space Hulks: these dreaded hulks are a conglomeration of ships and debris lost in the Warp. They enter and exit the Warp in unpredictable manner and they have the size of a small continent. Inside them threse is precious arcaeotech and lost riches but also great dangers, from xenos races, chaos daemons and other. Famous Space Hulks are Sin of Damnation, Lost Hope and Wurld Killa.

There also other locations where a campaign may take place, but I list some of the most lucrative and rich to my opinion.

30th Oct, 2016 - 10:59pm / Post ID: #

Morfeas, great that you want to start a game here, however because some have recently started Role-playing Games only to become delinquent I have to ask:

1. Have you read fully: How To Be A Game Master?

2. Your activity rating is only at 20%, can you be committed enough to running it daily?

3. Do you have upcoming commitments (I think you are getting married at some point) that would suddenly halt the game?

31st Oct, 2016 - 5:20pm / Post ID: #

JB yes, I have read the relevant topics more than a couple of times to be sure. I am not getting married soon, well at least for the next 2 years. I can run it daily, my only concern being that it will be my first time as a Dungeon Master. For the last months I am posting only in the Traveller topics and I check constantly the campaign. Well, except for that part in mid-September.

31st Oct, 2016 - 5:35pm / Post ID: #

Morfeas, I do not have worries about you being able to be a good Game Master, I am sure you can do that very well. My only concerns for any new GM are: being timely, not neglecting the game once you start (Daily Posts) it and the most important part of the GM Rules: Keep The Rules & Help Us Enforce It.

Once you have your Player count it will be easy to get Players as I know many have been looking for a game and I will help you get the Threads ready to start.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Nov, 2016 - 1:04am / Post ID: #

I would be interested in this but there are two major obstacles for me: First I don't have any of the Warhammer books and second I know nothing of the setting, but if the GM is willing to guide me through the process of character creation and point me in the right direction in terms of the setting I would certainly be interested in playing.

Post Date: 1st Nov, 2016 - 2:05am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Morfeas' Warhammer 40000 RPG Review Board Card & RPG Reviews

Welp, can't help with the character creation yet, but I can give a basic synopsis of the setting. First off, you should know that the game's tagline description originally inspired the term Grimdark.

Like Dungeons & Dragons, it owes its roots to tabletop wargames. Unlike Dungeons & Dragons It is science fantasy, elves and orcs and magic mixed in with highly futuristic technology, (Or in the case of the orcs, cobbled together junk that might mimic futuristic tech in a crude way, or might explode in the user's face). Its set in a highly chaotic interstellar region that sees constant war. Alliances between races are both extremely rare and short lived.

Most of the settings he's talking about would have us acting as agents or citizens of the Imperium of Mankind. An extremely dystopian and highly xenophobic fascist regime based around worship of and obedience to the god emperor (Who may or may not currently be dead, but don't suggest the former where the fanatics might hear.) The Imperium has on many occasions burned entire worlds full of their own citizens in order to cleanse heretics from the face of the same.

Somewhat in defense of this fanatical and destructive behavior, humanity is beset within and without, with that fanaticism being among the few reasons they survive at all. The other races tend to be highly aggressive, and heresy is not always just a matter of words. Chaos demons constantly seek to corrupt and twist the minds of others, seeking footholds to breach into this reality. Entire legions of Imperium soldiers have been twisted into mockeries of their former selves, and remain a constant blight on the universe.

Also somewhat in defense of their fanaticism, the Emperor is or was an extremely exceptional individual, an apparently immortal individual with incredibly immense psychic ability. It has however been more than ten millennia since he has taken direct action in the world. Living or dead, his simple presence still radiates enough psychic energy that Imperium ships use it as a navigational beacon on interstellar jumps.

The Empire has three distinct groups they use to combat these forces. The Imperial guard are pretty much the standard army. They're everywhere, and they come in numbers, but when things start getting really nasty, they're not much more than cannon fodder. Then there are the Inquisitors, who act as the secret police, hunting down heresy before it can draw the taint of Chaos, and ending outbreaks by whatever means necessary. Finally come the Space Marines, elite supersoldiers genetically modified with samples of the Emperor's DNA who are deployed wherever the fighting is thickest. Most have been alive for centuries, spending nearly all that time in bloody war.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 1st Nov, 2016 - 2:27am

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Morfeas' Warhammer 40000 RPG Review

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,