Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation - Page 7 of 58

I've made some updates to Zunadae, - Page 7 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 21st Dec, 2016 - 4:11pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

25th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Wizard
Wizard
Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian
Rogue
Rogue
Cleric
Cleric
Fighter
Fighter
Ranger
Ranger
Warlock
Warlock
Draconian
Draconian

+  « First of 58 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...Latest (58) »
Closed
Daishain’s 5th Edition D&D RPG Main Thread Dungeons and Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 20th Dec, 2016 - 10:02pm / Post ID: #

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation
A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation - Page 7

Daishain: First I want to thank you for spotting the mistake in AC. Once I can update the character sheet I will do so.

Second, I have a ridiculous confession to make. My only experience playing 5th edition is another Play By Post game here, and we started at 1st level and have only gone to 2nd. So I had not bothered to read the block where you get a stat boost at 4th level, and I assumed it was one point only. Having seen discussion here I had to go and look at it in the book, so I have one more point to spend, unless I want to kick one back and take a feat. Having thought it over I will raise my Strength another point to 16 as well.

Currently I have been going back and forth on the Barbarian Path I will take. Berserker is easier, but part of me really likes the benefits from Totem Warrior. I think I will go Totem Warrior, with the benefit of the Eagle. I think I can even work an eagle being the first thing he sees upon awakening after the battle where his clan was wiped out. But the eagle also likes to travel far and wide, adding to Poljen's wanderlust.

I would add that the clan was extremely loyal to each and every member, always working for the benefit of the entire group. Poljen is now applying that philosophy to his new life. He now sees all good people as one big extended clan, and wishes to help. He knows that he is big and tough, and can face dangers that others should not. So he is always willing to be in the front lines, fighting to help society, but also more directly aiding his friends.

"When he awoke, his clan was wiped out. He was the only survivor. He found his father, Nels, son of Pol, and his mother, Terrya, daughter of Ayena, dead right next to one another. A large eagle sat on the ground by them, and it chased away scavengers from their bodies, though it did not protect other Snow Leopards the same way. Poljen thanked the eagle, and offered it some salted fish he found in a wrecked tent. The bird gulped it down and remained until he had built a cairn for his parents. Then it flew away westward. With few options, he collected what little had been left behind by the Stone Bears and began following the eagle. But with almost no food and wounded, he probably would not have made it far. Then he stumbled upon a camp of adventurers, who aided him."

A final question: I have been unable to find costs of magic items and weapons in my handbook. Is there a site you recommend? I'd hate to try using one that is inaccurate. Thanks!

Sponsored Links:
20th Dec, 2016 - 11:10pm / Post ID: #
Zarra Glannath
Arcane Trickster 9
Character
Follower / Middle Rear
Character Sheet ◀
Associates Has 2 Associates
Base Has a Home Base
Active Player Active Role-player!

Creation Character RPG Dragons and Dungeons Daishains

The Quiet Shadow says...

international QUOTE
I have a ridiculous confession to make. My only experience playing 5th edition is another Play By Post game here, and we started at 1st level and have only gone to 2nd.

You are still better off then I am, this campaign will be my very first experience playing Dungeons & Dragons 5e, my experience being strongest in AD&D 2e, Dungeons & Dragons 3.5, and Pathfinder. For myself, the defocus on feats is a huge change and quite an adjustment for me. That and the lack of skill ranks also feels weird.

That and to be honest I actually feel Dungeons & Dragons 5e is not quite as versatile as either AD&D 2e and Pathfinder, though now that I have the full PHB this is not as bad, though I still hope WftC comes out with other books that expand on specializations.

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 20th Dec, 2016 - 11:13pm

Post Date: 21st Dec, 2016 - 12:46am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation Archive Pathfinder / D&D

I have to agree with your assessment Thomaslee, 5E has its strengths, but in order to streamline as much as they have, they did lose quite a bit of versatility.

As for magic items, that request is somewhat problematic, as the list of magic items is spread out among a number of copyrighted and tightly controlled sources. The safest source I can send you to is 5E's SRD, which I only recently found out exists. It does list many of the magic items available, but by no means all of them. For the sake of simplicity, I'm putting all magic items with a rarity level of "Common" on the market at 150 gold. "Uncommon" items are at 500, so likely out of your reach unless the group decides to pool extra funds for something. "Rare" and above are well out of your price range for the moment, and unlike the others, their availability is far from guaranteed.

Note that prices can and will vary once we get into the game, I just don't want to mess with market conditions and haggling on top of everything else being set right now.

Also note that, as mentioned to Brandonfett, you can get a 50% discount by buying from a fence, at significant risk of wasting every single coin on a fake or a cursed/flawed item.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 21st Dec, 2016 - 12:50am

Post Date: 21st Dec, 2016 - 1:47am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 7 Creation Character RPG Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

Couple things As I flesh out my Monk. First of all he is a half elf not a human. Second when you say common magical item is that like a +2 quarterstaff? Or maybe a +3? Character is coming together nicely.

Post Date: 21st Dec, 2016 - 1:50am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Creation Character RPG Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

If you go through the pdf of the rules posted, the only items listed as common are basic Potions of Healing, and scrolls for cantrips and 1st level spells. Everything else is rare, very rare or legendary. Weapons, shields, armor, etc are rare for +1, +2 for very rare, and +3 for legendary.

Post Date: 21st Dec, 2016 - 2:25am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I could have sworn there were more common level magic items available. I'll have to see what I can do about that.

In any case, yes, +x stuff is noticeably harder to acquire than in previous editions. Not quite that hard though, +1/2/3 weapons and ammo are uncommon/rare/Vrare

PaulNelson may be thinking of +x armor enchantments, which do follow the pattern he listed.

In regards to potions and scrolls, single use items like that have a 75% discount compared to the base price (Officially its only 50% off, but that cost is too much in my opinion).

Also, noted on Cratol's race.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 21st Dec, 2016 - 2:25am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
21st Dec, 2016 - 3:44pm / Post ID: #
Sarai Tzzerit
Rogue 2 Wizard 2
Character
Loner / Center
Character Sheet ◀
Retired Retired

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation - Page 7

The Shaper of Thoughts says...

So, you mentioned "Common" magic items will run us 150gp, as already pointed out there are only scrolls level 1 and lower that fit that category, but potions of healing are also considered "Common magic items". I'm assuming you're not raising the book price of 50gp for one potion of healing to 150gp, correct?

Also, and this is your game and thus your game's economic value of magic items, but there is a table in the DMG that gives ranges for the different rarities of items on page 135 with it starting out with common at 50-100gp, uncommon 101-500gp, rare 501-5000gp, very rare 5001-50,000gp and legendary 50,001+.
Again, your game, your values. And that table is just a guide for Dungeon Masters to consider but thought I'd throw it out there.

Post Date: 21st Dec, 2016 - 4:11pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 7

I've made some updates to Zunadae, sort of built him out in a way that makes sense to me. He's got more bonus actions to choose from than God, but I don't think that'll be a problem (For me).

As far as the group goes, I think he'd be a valuable asset, and working with a mercenary group would probably not be in conflict with her mission to spy for the elves. It's possible that he might have to choose between them at some point, but that can be worked out when and if it happens.

> TOPIC: Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.