Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support - Page 32 of 948

Even if there's a resource cost, I - Page 32 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 23rd Jan, 2017 - 5:30am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

23rd May 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Cleric
Cleric
Paladin
Paladin
Ranger
Ranger
Barbarian
Barbarian
Wizard
Wizard
Fighter
Fighter
Warlock
Warlock
Rogue
Rogue
Draconian
Draconian

+  « First of 948 pgs.  28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36  ...Latest (948) »
Closed
Daishain’s 5th Edition D&D RPG Main Thread Dungeons and Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support Related Information to Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support
NOTE: Anything related to your schedule, why you could not Post, issues at home, your plans for the future and so forth go in your Introduction, NOT in this Thread. You can access your Introduction at anytime- use the button that says "My Intro" within your Posts or from your Profile. Additionally, to befriend someone, get to to know them, carry on small talk and so forth please use their Introduction by clicking on the same "My Intro" button on their Profile or Post.
Post Date: 20th Jan, 2017 - 8:29pm / Post ID: #

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support
A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support - Page 32

Since he might be helping load cargo, I will still hold off on the short rest. Once we are traveling again, he will ride in a wagon and do so. But to get it out of the way, I will roll three (3) hit dice here and now.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 21st Jan, 2017 - 8:55pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

Brandonfett, gimme an Arcana check to try and figure out more than the bare minimum Detect Magic provides.

21st Jan, 2017 - 11:38pm / Post ID: #
Sarai Tzzerit
Rogue 2 Wizard 2
Character
Loner / Center
Character Sheet ◀
Retired Retired

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support Archive Pathfinder / D&D

The Shaper of Thoughts says...

Oh, right. I actually meant to add that in but I suppose I clicked submit before adding the dice. Sorry. Here it is now.

Sarai Tzzerit Results:
  • Arcana on D20 (+3): 14 (1 roll)

Post Date: 22nd Jan, 2017 - 6:31am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 32 Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

Replying to: Thomaslee, a long rest takes a full eight hours, by the time Geoffroy completes one, the rest of the group should be done with the north camp, have moved to a campsite of their own, and settled in for the night.

A short rest (One hour long) would be more appropriate for the situation. You won't get spell uses back doing that, but can use hit dice to recover health if you wish. You'll be getting a long rest overnight anyways.

22nd Jan, 2017 - 3:27pm / Post ID: #
Zarra Glannath
Arcane Trickster 9
Character
Follower / Middle Rear
Character Sheet ◀
Associates Has 2 Associates
Base Has a Home Base
Active Player Active Role-player!

Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons Daishains

The Quiet Shadow says...

I changed the post to saying it was a short rest, so as to not disrrupt the flow of the roleplay. I just mistakenly believed more time had past. I'll have to find a different moment for Geoffroy to do a long rest, I guess.

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 22nd Jan, 2017 - 3:27pm

Post Date: 22nd Jan, 2017 - 3:31pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Assuming your night is not interrupted, people regularly get long rests when they go to bed for the night, or for the elves in the group, while trancing.

Sleeping on your long rest isn't strictly necessary, but for some odd reason people tend to do it anyways tongue.gif.

Edit: As a magic item, the bracelet resizes itself to fit Geoffroy. You could make an arcana check yourself to figure it out, you might not be trained, but could get lucky. Alternatively, you can just attune to the item. Which basically just means wearing it for an hour in this case and will give you the information you need.

Note that attuning to an unknown magic item can be dangerous, as such will activate any curses placed on it. Since Miruvial was wearing this, it is probably safe, just mentioning it for future reference.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 22nd Jan, 2017 - 5:07pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
23rd Jan, 2017 - 4:39am / Post ID: #
Sarai Tzzerit
Rogue 2 Wizard 2
Character
Loner / Center
Character Sheet ◀
Retired Retired

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules Q&A Support - Page 32

The Shaper of Thoughts says...

Ok, so how do you handle check failures like lock picking? Does Sar'ai believe that the lock is beyond her capabilities and thus wouldn't think to try again, or is it more like she fumbled with the lock and broke a pick before she got it, kind of like skyrim?

Personally in my own games, I have each set of theives tools come with 10 lock picks to start (1gp for each additional set of 10) and each failure a player gets "Breaks" the pick and if they run out of picks, they can't try to break into locks.

Post Date: 23rd Jan, 2017 - 5:30am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules Q&A Support D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 32

Even if there's a resource cost, I don't like letting checks be repeated ad nauseum. It pretty much guarantees success, because even the most unskilled individual in the world will roll that 20 eventually.

In cases like this, where you have a chance to make multiple attempts in peace, you get one chance to roll, and can 'take ten' after that. The take ten result is simply 10+ your modifier, so you can never do worse than a certain amount when not pressed for time.

So basically, Sar'ai can't quite figure out the trick to this particular lock at the moment. The chest isn't going anywhere at the moment, so she can sleep on it and try again in the morning, or she can resort to other methods to get past the thing.

> TOPIC: Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.