Japan = Imperialist Nation? - Page 2 of 2

All these apologies have everything to do - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 29th Apr, 2015 - 8:40pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Korea versus Japan - Also The East Sea?
7th Aug, 2008 - 4:48am / Post ID: #

Japan = Imperialist Nation? - Page 2

Don't get me wrong. I think that these arguments with their neighbors and the lengths that the Japanese have gone to reclaim these lands does bring about a bitter taste. They are trying to annex these islands through text books of students. In general, they are making their own ignorant to their own history. The worst part is how transparent the reasoning is for these disputes...greed. They have no real ties to the land...the lands and titles to them contain fish and natural gas. It's not like Grandma and Grandpa Yamamoto came from these islands because for the most part...no one has lived on them...ever.

Japan WAS an Imperialist nation as were many, so honestly, I it would be hipocritical to complain too much about Imperialism on my behalf being American. Japan was at times a very brutal Imperialistic Nation. Same thing could be said if I were English, Chinese, French, German or Italian because at sometime in their history, they were imperialist and in many cases they were brutal in their acquisitions. Their acquisitions were pure greed and aimed at land, spices, dyes and resources.

All that said, I always come back to the fact that Japan's last Imperialist effort failed and resulted in a "unconditional surrender". My thought is, you tried to take over all of Asia Pacific and failed, so you are left with whatever the victors want to leave you with. Had it played out differently, would Japan be returning all the lands it took from the US and all the sovereign nations? Of course not, no differently than the US returning the Texas, California, Arizona, etc...back to Mexico because they lost the war. We haven't given Florida back to Spain and we haven't given the original states back to the Indians. Think Hilter would have given all those countries their freedom back after he realized he had done bad thing? I am guessing...no.

Rather off topic, but...
To me, war is a all or nothing thing. This new idea of war where if the aggressor losses that we give them back their stuff because it feels wrong to take their way of life from them seems very strange. Because if the shoe was on the other foot, you might be speaking a different language, not own property or perhaps might even find yourself dead. If the Israel didn't survive the original war against them following the declaration of a Israeli State, would we be talking about how to give Israel back their state? Would there be any Israeli's to talk to? So if you decide to wage war in my world, you are putting it all on the table. If you win...congratulations and the spoils as well. If you lose, sorry about your luck, but you played a very dangerous game with your future and lost. If you are lucky, the people you attacked with give you your stuff back, but if not...don't cry about it.

Japan fosters a lot of their own anit-Japanese sentiment in Asia from the reluctance to teach and admit to some of the horrible things that were done during their Imperialist days. This anit-Japanese sentiment shows its head in these disputes, failure to appologize for Nanking, Korean Comfort Women and lack of support for Japanese as the area spokesman amongst its neighbors as well as visits to the Yokozunu Shrine. They can never truly make up for what they have done in the past, but admission and some sensitivity would go a long way. Plus, actually teach all the history of Japan in Japan...the good, the bad and the ugly. The Japanese are some of the nicest people you could meet. Unfortunately, they really need to understand their history, so that they can go out into the world and start to change their perception amongst their neighbors. These disputes that look like land grabs to their neighbors might be a good place to start...

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th Aug, 2008 - 11:55am / Post ID: #

Japan = Imperialist Nation?
A Friend

Nation Imperialist Japan

Check this out. This guy named Mark Lovmo who's an elementary school teacher in the US has been operating this website on a territorial dispute over an island named Dokdo between Korea and Japan since 2001. I found it weird that an American dude would bother about some island over in Asia but then hey, I realized that if he's doing it then maybe it's because he really believes in the matter and maybe it's worthy of attention. Both countries claim that the island is theirs but Lovmo is listing tons of evidence making the case stronger for Korea. The site explains everything about the matter so I suggest you go check it out. It's kinda cool actually.

geocities.com/mlovmo

Post Date: 15th Apr, 2009 - 2:01am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Japan = Imperialist Nation? History & Civil Business Politics

The Japanese government is trying to change the term East Sea in to Sea of Japan. Starting from April, Japan started the campaign in 10 languages stating that the island of Dokdo is a Japanese territory. This is preposterous. How pathetic.

When the North Korea launched the missile few days ago, I was shocked to see that the CNN and other major broadcast channels were using the expression sea of Japan. Most of the historical documents use the term the east sea instead of the Sea of Japan. I can not understand why the Americans use the term Sea of Japan.

Then I saw the American text book on the world history that used the term east sea. This textbook is used in Orlando, Austin, New York and San Diego.
The children need to learn the true history. The Japanses are distorting the innocent minds of American children.

I hope I will see more signs of the east see in the textbook. The broadcast stations of the world should be ashamed of themselves using the term Sea of Japan.

The east sea is the east sea, not the Sea of Japan.

15th Apr, 2009 - 2:35am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Nation Imperialist Japan

What happens if they call it the "Sea of Japan"? Nothing right? Don't lose your marbles over it. I'd be more worried about North Korea shooting missiles.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 23 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 2.3%

15th Apr, 2009 - 9:31am / Post ID: #

Nation Imperialist Japan

I can understand Sunflower's point. Japan has following WWII tried to ignore or even in cases rewrite its history during the Colonization and Meiji restoration time. The harsh tactics used are not mentioned and it is basically presented as Japan doing a kind thing by taking over these countries. Now, for some, they didnt mind the takeover...kind of like Hungary when Germany stormed into town. However, countries like China and Korea, did not have as nearly nice takeover (as they resisted).

Many of Japan's neighbors boil at the arguments over small islands that they claim and they way they try to write them into their historical possession.

The East Sea is the term that should be used, but I can honestly say that I see it more often as the Sea of Japan today, so the term is slowly taking hold.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

Post Date: 22nd Feb, 2013 - 9:30am / Post ID: #

Senior Japanese gov't official attends 'Takeshima Day' ceremony
Local Japanese News In English

A senior government official attended a ceremony on Friday commemorating the day the islands at the center of a dispute with South Korea were incorporated as Japanese territory, sparking a protest from the South Korean government. (Kyodo)
Source: News On Japan

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 29th Apr, 2015 - 6:41pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Japan = Imperialist Nation - Page 2

Japanese prime minister stands by apologies for Japan's WWII abuses

"Our actions brought suffering to the peoples in Asian countries," Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Wednesday, in the first address to a joint session of Congress by a Japanese leader. "We must not avert our eyes from that. I will uphold the views expressed by the previous prime ministers in this regard." He also expressed "Eternal condolences" For the American lives lost fighting Japan in the war. Ref. USAToday

29th Apr, 2015 - 8:40pm / Post ID: #

Japan = Imperialist Nation Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

All these apologies have everything to do with the recent reinforced alliance between the USA and Japan. Japan has apologized loads of times but it will likely never be enough.

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 67 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 6.7%

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Japan = Imperialist Nation?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,