3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Creation - Page 27 of 42

Hmm, still no input from the other two, might - Page 27 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 29th Oct, 2017 - 2:21am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

25th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Wizard
Wizard
Rogue
Rogue
Ranger
Ranger
Warlock
Warlock
Cleric
Cleric
Fighter
Fighter
Barbarian
Barbarian
Paladin
Paladin
Draconian
Draconian

+  « First of 42 pgs.  23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  ...Latest (42) »
Closed
Discuss  3 5 D&D As Character Role-Playing Game Create your Character here. Your Character is based on your real life stats. Dungeons and Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 27th Oct, 2017 - 10:28pm / Post ID: #

3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Creation
A Friend

3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Creation - Page 27

Ok lets see about getting the next new character in soon. Just need the rest to input their thoughts since we are at a place another can come in quickly.

Sponsored Links:
27th Oct, 2017 - 11:22pm / Post ID: #
Vickie
L4 Ardent L5 XP 5601...
Character
Follower / Right Rear Flank
Character Sheet ◀
Base Has a Home Base
Active Player Active Role-player!

Creation RPG Character You Dragons and Dungeons

The Learner says...

If the group is wondering; I've read the story line and all caught up on it smile.gif

I've also been thinking of my class and doing some reading on it. I'm liking the Paladin but I'm leaning toward the Ardent. So any input on that regard would be welcome.

Post Date: 28th Oct, 2017 - 1:39am / Post ID: #

A Friend

3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Creation Archive Pathfinder / D&D

My take:
Strength 10
Dexterity 14
Con 12
INT 14
Wisdom 16
Charisma 14

In regards to the Ardent, it is a primary psionic caster that plays a fair bit like a cleric.

Psionics in general is a pretty flexible and potent system. You can use it in any kind of armor without problem, and you don't need to worry about spell components and the like. In fact, with a relatively simple concentration check, you can use Powers with no indication that you're doing anything at all. It works off of points rather than the more familiar spell slots. Pound for pound, you will be able to manifest less than a cleric can cast in a day, but unlike them, you can use every scrap of your power exactly where it is needed. Being able to use your entire reserve on high level abilities, all on low cost things, or whatever mix the day requires, with no waste.

The first thing you'll need to decide as an Ardent would be to take a look at the mantles available and pick 2 as the primary concepts you study/espouse/admire. Creation, life, death, etc. As you level up, you'll get the chance to pick a few more mantles. These mantles determine what powers are available for you to learn, and also grant a special ability.

In picking powers, bear in mind that many psionic powers scale up if you use extra points to augment their abilities. There are many first level powers that remain very useful even at level 20.

Note, psionics has few healing powers, and those tend to be a little on the weak side compared to what divine spells can offer. So I hope you're not looking to be a primary healer with this.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 28th Oct, 2017 - 1:42am

28th Oct, 2017 - 2:27am / Post ID: #
Vickie
L4 Ardent L5 XP 5601...
Character
Character Sheet ◀
Base Has a Home Base

Page 27 Creation RPG Character You Dragons and Dungeons

The Learner says...

Jason: I was not thinking of being a primary healer with the Ardent.
Was thinking the following Mantles: Element(Fire), Freedom, Conflict or Consumption to start and build from there.

Post Date: 28th Oct, 2017 - 2:31am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Creation RPG Character You Dragons and Dungeons

Susan The first two you pick are your main ones. You can choose any two you wish. With a Druid as a healer you can make a difference with Element and Conflict *smile* I take it you want to be a Ardent?

Post Date: 28th Oct, 2017 - 3:21am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Welp, I don't know what speaks to you, but if looking for advice from a mechanical standpoint…

Elements is interesting. You should know that you don't have to declare a single element type and stick with it. You can change which of the elements you're attuned to whenever you regain your psionic focus (A full round action) However, If you were looking for offensive damage via fire/cold etc, you actually need to look at Energy

Freedom is excellent, I would highly recommend it.

Conflict is pretty decent for a character going in for martial conflict, but not much else. Is that what you wanted to build for?

Consumption is interesting, but it has a serious flaw, most of its stuff is only useful against psionic characters. Even in a high psionics game, which this is not, that makes it useless more often than not.

Of those I'd recommend looking at not on your list:
Force: Strong mix of defensive and offensive stuff
Time: Screw around with initiative order, take extra actions, temporarily erase that door in your way, etc.
Mental Might: extra power points, paired with a lot of save or lose/die powers

First level Powers I might recommend picking up with the Hidden Talent feat if not on your Mantle list: Astral Construct, Minor Metamorphosis, Psionic Minor Creation.

Overall, the key, as with any magic dependent character with a limit on spells/powers/whathaveyou known, is to pick things that you can expect to use often. There are a lot of things that would be really useful in particular scenarios, but not so much outside of said scenarios. For the most part, you need to forgo those things in favor of items that are useful nearly all the time.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 28th Oct, 2017 - 4:35am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th Oct, 2017 - 3:40am / Post ID: #
Vickie
L4 Ardent L5 XP 5601...
Character
Character Sheet ◀
Base Has a Home Base

3.5 D&D You Character RPG Creation - Page 27

The Learner says...

Thanks Jason, you've been a great help!
I will check it out soon and place on my character sheet. Soon being tomorrow for it is late in the evening for me.

Post Date: 29th Oct, 2017 - 2:21am / Post ID: #

A Friend

3.5 D&D You Character RPG Creation D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 27

Hmm, still no input from the other two, might need to poke them.

I presume when you mention added mantles and powers, you mean those are things you'll look into acquiring later?

In any case, for first level, you'll have a base reserve of 2 power points. Presuming you get the 16 Wisdom Knight and I recommended, you'll get 1 bonus PP for a total of 3.

Don't forget your skills. And also, as a human, you'll start off with 2 feats.

Flaws are in play, so you do have the option to take 1 or 2 flaws in exchange for 1 or 2 extra feats. This is, generally speaking, a good idea.

In regards to feat selection, a lot depends on what you want to do with the character, but I would suggest picking up the Hidden Talent feat. It grants another 2 power points for your reserve, and grants an additional level 1 power from any list, even ones you don't normally have access to.

Also in regards to feat selection, there's an expensive but worthwhile option I've made use of before. Earth Power feat, along with its prerequisite Earth Sense. Earth Sense isn't very exciting, but it might help locate others if blinded. Earth Power reduces the cost of powers by 1 (Minimum 1). Doesn't seem like much at first, but every bit of savings can help, and then one realizes that it also lets you access augments that are a little more powerful than you'd normally be capable of. For instance, with that, you can start off doing 2d6 damage with that Energy Ray, instead of the usual 1d6 you'd be limited to until hitting level 2.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 29th Oct, 2017 - 2:29am

> TOPIC: 3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Creation

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.