Abnninja's D&D 5e Greek Campaign Character Creation - Page 8 of 20

Oh, ok. I must have misread the two-decades - Page 8 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 30th Aug, 2017 - 11:32pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

02nd May 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Fighter
Fighter
Warlock
Warlock
Ranger
Ranger
Draconian
Draconian
Barbarian
Barbarian
Rogue
Rogue
Wizard
Wizard
Cleric
Cleric
Paladin
Paladin

+  « First of 20 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...Latest (20) »
Closed
PBP Greece Dungeons and Dragons Dungeons & Dragons 5e
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 30th Aug, 2017 - 7:43pm / Post ID: #

Abnninja's D&D 5e Greek Campaign Character Creation
A Friend

Abnninja's D&D 5e Greek Campaign Character Creation - Page 8

Ah, now I have a clearer idea what you are saying. No, your other language is German. There is no Sylvan or Druidic language on alt Earth. Your three languages would be Celtic (Your native tongue), Germanic, and Greek.

Sponsored Links:
30th Aug, 2017 - 7:49pm / Post ID: #
Keitha
Druid lvl 3
Character
Novice / Middle Rear
Character Sheet ◀
Active Player Active Role-player!

Creation Character Campaign Greek Dragons and Dungeons Abnninjas

Servant of Dreams says...

Except don't Druids have their own language, at least in Dungeons & Dragons? Also, consideration of the Circle of Dreams giving a druid understanding of the language of the fae.

Are we just going to ignore those or can I replace it with something else?

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 30th Aug, 2017 - 7:51pm

Post Date: 30th Aug, 2017 - 8:03pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Abnninja's D&D 5e Greek Campaign Character Creation Archive Pathfinder / D&D

I took that the extra languages into consideration by giving every character an extra skill and an extra took proficiency. Admittedly, when scaled some are 'paying' more for this since they have more languages. But the ability to gain expertise is a pretty strong addition. And yes, in Dungeons & Dragons they do but not on Earth. At least, not my alt Earth and if I know my history correctly they really didn't have their own language at all.

30th Aug, 2017 - 8:24pm / Post ID: #
Tellias Syntomo
Fighter BattleMaster 3
Character
Lieutenant / Rear
Character Sheet Lock

Page 8 Creation Character Campaign Greek Dragons and Dungeons Abnninjas

The Short End says...

The idea of druids comes mainly from the Picts & Celts of ancient Britain, before the Roman interventions into the land. So druids just spoke the language they did as a person of race from the Picts or Celts, the Picts being from Ireland rather than Britain, but they did settle there too. The way I understand it is that we all basically get just the one language if you come from Hellas (Which is Greek), if you come from another land then you speak the language of your own land and Greek. As Ninja said, we have been given other perks instead of languages, and the expertise is indeed a very powerful compensation for such, not to mention the extra tool proficiency.

Try not to see this as Dungeons & Dragons 5E in Greece, but more Greece based on the world of Dungeons & Dragons. By this I mean things will be a lot simpler than in the PHB and far more historically accurate. I picture this campaign as more of a Hollywood-esque view of Ancient Greece rather than a Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy romp. Think more like Jason & the Argonauts or Clash of the Titans than Forgotten Realms or Eberron for example *wink*
Tanis
Your saving throws are your base attribute bonuses. So if you have a Strength of 16 your saving throw would be +3. However, each class gains proficiency in 2 attribute saving throws. These add the proficiency bonus, currently 2, to your saving throw for that attribute. So for Tellias, my fighter, his saving throw proficiencies are in Strength & CON so I get to add my proficiency bonus to those saves, the other 4 attributes get just the modifier from their attribute. An example follows for Tellias the fighter:

Strength = 16 (+3) Saving throw = 3+2 from class proficiency
Dexterity = 14 (+2) Saving throw = +2
CON = 15 (+2) Saving throw = 2+2 from class proficiency
INT = 10 (0) Saving throw = 0
Wisdom = 12 (+1) Saving throw = +1
Charisma = 12 (+1) Saving throw = +1

When the Dungeon Master asks you to make a saving throw against an attribute, i.e. "Tellias please make a Strength saving throw." I would roll a d20 and add my saving throw from above to it. So say I rolled a 10 I would add 5 to that giving me a save of 15. The Dungeon Master would decide the difficulty in advance of the roll and then inform you if you have saved successfully or not *wink*

Also, you can get negatives to your saving throw if you have an attribute below 10... Just saying!

Hope that helps, but if you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Peace.
Robertreaper

The main thread is up, but as yet not ready for us to starting posting, as obviously not everyone is finished making their characters *wink*

Main thread is here, enjoy Ninja's introduction: wink.gif
Location: International Discussions > Index > Role-Playing Games (RPG) & Adventure > Dungeons & Dragons / Pathfinder Play By Post Role-playing Games > Abnninja's Dungeons & Dragons 5e Greek Campaign Main Thread.
Daishain

Indeed second generations could become citizens of Athens. So although your Gnomish heritage means you would of originally come from another land, your birth into Athenian society means you do indeed become a citizen of Athens & Greece, historically speaking. As to what Ninja thinks that is not for me to say. So picking a previous homeland for your father would allow you access to a possible second language and tie in that you are a Gnomish Athenian. On a side note, please remember to put your class(Es) & levels into the character class field. I.e Wizard2/Cleric1 *wink*.

Reconcile Edited: Glarion on 30th Aug, 2017 - 8:46pm

Post Date: 30th Aug, 2017 - 9:35pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Creation Character Campaign Greek e Dragons and Dungeons Abnninjas

Daishain,

Yes indeed, Athens was much more liberal granting citizenship than most of the other Polis. This is very much because of the cosmopolitan nature of the place. So you could easily be of Aegyptian descent, your father having come to Athens from Aegyptus, Carthage, or Persia and you could be Athenian.

Regarding a day in the life, it would be quite similar to the middle ages only math and the sciences would actually be a bit more advanced in some ways in ancient Greece. It took a long time for Western Civilization to overcome the destruction the Dark Ages wrought. Some equipment is not available, but we can take care of that on a case by case basis.

All,

Regarding the characters. I love the way they are going. This will be a great group. And the fact many of them are chaotic is exactly as it should be. Ancient Greece valued freedom and individuality above just about anything. That is why it never came together as country until quite recently. Each Polis valued its own freedom too much.

There is a story about when Pericles was elected leader of Athens, more of a fable really. It goes something like every citizen got two votes, one for their favorite candidate and one for their second favorite. Most everyone voted for themselves first, and Pericles second. He won my amassing the most second place votes. That is what it's like in a chaotic culture that values individuality.

The sole exception to this was Sparta, they would be a Lawful Polis. At least, the people would be Lawful as they put the welfare of the Polis ahead of themselves. This was due to Lycurgus' Laws. These were the laws the turned Sparta into the rigid military society it became and they were due to the slave based system Sparta was based on. That said, the State of Sparta was almost as chaotically wedded to independence rather than joining a union of the Hellenic world as the rest of them were.

30th Aug, 2017 - 10:21pm / Post ID: #
Photokles
Cleric
Character
Lieutenant / Right Fwd. Flank
Character Sheet ◀

The light bearer says...

Yes, even though Sparta joined in the defense of Greece as whole during the Greco-Persian wars, they were more so doing it out of making sure Persia stayed out of Sparta, as was all the other city-states at the time; they came together against a LARGER threat.
But when the Peloponnesian war broke out, that was more of a "Civil war", as pretty much everyone involved, except for the occasional outside help from Persia or Egypt, was technically Greek.

This is also why it would not be uncommon at all for quite a number of people to speak both Greek and another language, as this region we will be playing in, if it's still the same history up to current events, was where all the trade routes were. So there are going to be people from all over, citizens or not, that are fluent in other languages as you needed to be to survive/thrive. (That's why my character speaks Persion; Rhodes was conquered during the Persian invasions, but subsequently reclaimed by Greece.)

On the subject of historical pinpointing, we are told it's been two years since the end of the Peloponnesian war, so does this mean that the rule of the "Tyrannical Thirty" has passed and Athens is once again a democracy? And if so, that would mean we are around 402-400 BCE (Not sure if we want to be talking on BCE since it will be current for us… ha), and so some contemporaries would be people like Socrates and Plato?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 30th Aug, 2017 - 10:55pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Abnninja's D&D 5e Greek Campaign Character Creation - Page 8

Brandon,

It's been two decades since the end of the Peloponnesian War. The year by our reckoning is 384 BC. Still part of the Spartan Hegemony. And actually, you will find out that history has already changed some and has been changing for a decade. But that is for another time and in another thread…

So, who knows what history here will become, or your part in it.

30th Aug, 2017 - 11:32pm / Post ID: #
Photokles
Cleric
Character
Lieutenant / Right Fwd. Flank
Character Sheet ◀

Abnninja's D&D 5e Greek Campaign Character Creation D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 8

The light bearer says...

Oh, ok. I must have misread the two-decades for two years. My bad.
Just trying to put some finishing touches on my backstory and was curious about recent events.

> TOPIC: Abnninja's D&D 5e Greek Campaign Character Creation

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.