Driverless Pizza Delivery - Page 2 of 3

Any time we work on AI we have to be careful. - Page 2 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 4th Sep, 2017 - 7:00pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 4th Sep, 2017 - 3:04pm / Post ID: #

Driverless Pizza Delivery
A Friend

Driverless Pizza Delivery - Page 2

AI has been a big worry with a lot of people because of the way it is always portrayed by Hollywood. There does not necessary have something evil like sky-net take over and hunt humans. It can be that AI works very well with humans and frees up a lot of work that many really do not want to do. Nothing says that AI will be a evil thing but could be a peaceful things and bring a whole new prosperity for all of mankind.

Sponsored Links:
4th Sep, 2017 - 3:08pm / Post ID: #

Delivery Pizza Driverless

KN

international QUOTE
Around my area a driver less delivery car would make very good sense as places have a hard time filling job openings for delivery drivers. I guess people do not want that job so having a driver less car would fill this void.

It's what annoys me about our country and our decision to leave the EU. People are complaining that the "Foreigners" are taking over our towns and taking our jobs. The jobs they are taking are the ones that are hard to fill as they are usually minimum wage, labor intensive jobs. My wife's family are farmers and I can tell you now that 90% of the people they employ to do harvests or the more labor intensive tasks are all non-UK nationals.

Brits won't do those jobs for some reason as they deem them to below their status. So who is going to do those jobs if they all leave? 60% of our nursing staff in hospitals come from overseas. 75% of our hospital doctors & consultants come from overseas. Most of our takeaway food comes from overseas small business owners!

How are these areas going to function when we leave the EU? They won't. So how will these much needed services be replaced? Technology.

It's already happening. NHS Direct. Dial-a-doctor. Self diagnosis & self monitoring equipment. Online takeaway delivery & ordering. There is even talk of trials of drone deliveries for takeaways in some parts of the UK. This will all be fueled by the lack of available manpower. The lack of people in jobs will force those jobs to go and that is not something we can blame technology for, in fact it is technology we will look to, to save those services in some form or another. Sad but true (To quote Metallica!) biggrin.gif.

Reconcile Edited: Glarion on 4th Sep, 2017 - 3:09pm

Post Date: 4th Sep, 2017 - 3:19pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Driverless Pizza Delivery Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Yeah I understand what you are getting at Glarion. We need someone to fill some of these roles and it it is AI then so be it. We have a need and I think that driver-less cars can fill this need and do quite well.

4th Sep, 2017 - 3:21pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Delivery Pizza Driverless

Kyrroeth, I agree with some of those statements.

For your last paragraph though, surely that is where our schools, training centers, local & national government, colleges & universities come in? To train people into a workforce that meets the needs of the local, national & global economy and need?

We will no longer place importance on certain subjects, just as Latin & pottery were phased out in the UK, (Pottery only as an art form now not a career in manufacturing, I come from the Potteries, Staffordshire, the home of the pottery industry in the West), only to be replaced by subjects such as computers, business and science.

The level of intelligence is growing with each school year, not just generation. My daughter in year 3 was covering topics in maths I did at A level 25 years ago! And at the same age was coming home with English topics & homework I had never heard of, and I consider myself fairly intelligent and pretty well read!

As these educational shifts and improvements occur so too will the shift in career paths and choices. Even now one of our local universities has just spent millions in becoming the leading university in the country in offering Game Development & Design qualifications!

I have seen the future and it is pretty much solely going to be in the entertainment and service sectors for human. I can see a day when all manufacturing processes will become automated and IT Technicians, PR, HR & after sales support will be the only departments needed in those corporations.

Exciting or daunting? Who knows really, but change is part of the human condition and I fear that if we try to resist and combat the inevitable evolution of our workplaces and world we will fall behind the technology instead of embracing it and pushing it's development in the direction we want *wink*

Just to throw another spanner in hereā€¦ I give you - nanotechnology! If you don't know what that is I strongly suggest you look it up, but if you are frightened about robots taking jobs, then perhaps I would steer clear of it, because that truly will be the global game changer! No need for materials to make anything you want? Is that a Oh Yes Please or a Hells No I hear? wink.gif.

EDIT:
Also, the nanotechnology reference has just made me think of a fairly new innovations in two technologies that has not taken jobs from manufacturing companies but has in fact created a whole new business sector in manufacturing, support and R&D. Even though one would think initially that these two advances would spell the end of large scale corporate manufacturing in those sectors.

3D printing & laser cutting machines. These areas are fast becoming the biggest growth sectors in the technology market. Not just for in home leisure use, but for larger companies and cottage industries/home start businesses. In the past 5 years these two areas in combination alone have grown over 20,000%! Creating tens if not hundreds of thousands of jobs for the those selling the machinery and for those end users who are selling the products they make with those machines. In this case the machines have created two brand new job markets that didn't exist before the 2000s at all *wink*.

Reconcile Edited: Glarion on 4th Sep, 2017 - 3:39pm

Post Date: 4th Sep, 2017 - 3:38pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Delivery Pizza Driverless

Here is a good reason for driver-less cars in the USA. It will stop things like this. Two separate accidents at the same place.

Source 1a.

4th Sep, 2017 - 3:40pm / Post ID: #

Driverless delivery & goods transport vehicles will indeed prevent deaths on the road I would suggest. Purely in the simplest fact that there will be less people driving on the roads.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 4th Sep, 2017 - 6:48pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Driverless Pizza Delivery - Page 2

Part of my issue is because of sci-if movies. I am not alone with my concerns. Elon Musk warns of the great eat danger of AI. He said that if we aren't very careful we might face our own Judgement Day as in Terminator.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 4th Sep, 2017 - 6:48pm

Post Date: 4th Sep, 2017 - 7:00pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Driverless Pizza Delivery Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 2

Any time we work on AI we have to be careful. We are developing a self thinking machine that can learn and make decisions. Yes lots of people need protection from themselves but where do we draw the line? I have a feeling that some things are good like driver-less cars so we have less accidents and highway deaths. You can not show me a accident that was the fault of the driver-less car.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Driverless Pizza Delivery

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,