Why Psychology Sucks - Page 2 of 3

Name: SigmundFraud Country: Title: Psychology - Page 2 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 31st Aug, 2012 - 1:50am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 26th May, 2010 - 5:44pm / Post ID: #

Why Psychology Sucks
A Friend

Why Psychology Sucks - Page 2

Diagnostic agreement between clinicians has been a difficult area, however, there is much more agreement on symptoms. Often psychiatric/psychotherapeutic cures are focused more on the symptoms anyway, so this is not always as important as one might think. However, from DSM-III onward there has been considerable effort made to improve diagnostic agreement, by focusing far more on observable or reportable symptoms, rather than underlying theoretical psychological mechanisms. This has led to a great improvement in agreement between clinicians. Still, for some diagnoses - particularly personality disorders - there is still very poor interrater reliability. A new DSM is coming out soon. Hopefully there will be more improvements on this front. Even so, treatments between such diagnoses would not necessarily differ drastically between diagnoses anyway.

As to psychology being an inexact science - well that really depends a lot on what aspects you are studying. There are a lot of very exact aspects to it, but as the human mind is the most complex thing in the known universe, one would think our understanding of it would still rightly be at the beginning stages.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 26th May, 2010 - 5:57pm / Post ID: #

Sucks Psychology Why

Name: Lace

Comments: Are you a psychologists or studying psychology?

Post Date: 27th May, 2010 - 6:16am / Post ID: #

Why Psychology Sucks
A Friend

Why Psychology Sucks Health & Special Psychology

Yes, I have a MA in clinical psychology. Fizzled out working on my PhD. I preferred the clinical work to the drudgery of research. Not that it is not important - I enjoy reading it, I just don't like actually doing it! Any questions about what psychologists do, or how they go about making the decisions they do?

27th May, 2010 - 12:39pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Sucks Psychology Why

Geoff, are you familiar with Autism? Do you make such diagnosis? Where I live psychologists do not want to diagnose young children but it is my opinion that early the diagnose, better chances for a child to receive treatment.

Post Date: 27th May, 2010 - 3:11pm / Post ID: #

Why Psychology Sucks
A Friend

Sucks Psychology Why

It is true that autism is often not diagnosed until children enter school. It is also true that the earlier that treatment starts the better, however, given the variability in normal development I understand why some clinicians are hesitant to diagnose at preschool ages. I suppose the concerns of diagnosis are that one has now labelled the child, although I often think that this concern is rather exaggerated. Still, investing in treatment can be a very expensive endeavor, particularly if such treatment is not warranted.

I assume you are talking about child or developmental psychologists here, as diagnosing a child younger than 3 would be very difficult without specialized training in normative and non-normative infant development. Given the increased awareness regarding autism in the past 15-20 years, my guess is that younger child/developmental psychologists would be the most likely to have a lot of training in diagnosing autism.

28th May, 2010 - 1:42am / Post ID: #

Why Psychology Sucks

I think one of the reasons Psychology sucks is because sometimes you get several diagnosis by several psychologists on the same issue. In the end, it seems to be all a matter of perspective.

Rather off topic, but...
Geoff, since I don't want to go offtopic I continued our discussion in your intro thread located here:

Source 9

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 16th Dec, 2010 - 11:44am / Post ID: #

Why Psychology Sucks - Page 2

Name: John

Comments: What is valid in the various sub-disciplines of psychology could be folded into biology so that a scientific methodology is assured. Such as psychometrics and behavioral genetics. To reduce the " suckiness " one needs to trim away the dead wood, such as psychoanalysis in the Freudian vein.

Post Date: 31st Aug, 2012 - 1:50am / Post ID: #

Why Psychology Sucks Psychology Special & Health - Page 2

Name: SigmundFraud

Title: Psychology sucks bad

Comments: Psychology simply sucks because it tends to minimize the biology. The mind being separate from the body is a farce. Have your brains bashed in and (try to) see how much of a mind you have left.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Why Psychology Sucks

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,