Why Studying Deep Doctrine Sucks - Page 3 of 4

Oddley, and based on what you said that for - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 27th Jan, 2009 - 3:59pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
18th Oct, 2008 - 1:42pm / Post ID: #

Why Studying Deep Doctrine Sucks - Page 3

Speakingoffaith.org

Here is the website that you requesting with Brother Millet's interview. Look in the archives and you will find it. I just looked and it is there.

Personally, I find this statement a bit puzzling. Why do we need 'time to get our theology together?" Our theology comes only by pure revelation, and must be accepted by common consent to be binding upon the church. What's there to think about?

First Theology is not doctrine. Theology is a logical systematic structure of belief. doctrine can make up theology, but theology is much more inclusive then doctrine and revelation. We are still working on a LDS theology, and really have not had a lot of time to do it in. Theology is more then revelation. It is also our experiences to Revelation and finding its meanings. This we are still learning. For example we LDS do not have a atonement theology. We have doctrine, on the atonement but not a theology. partly this is because Joseph Smith was not to keen on settingup a theology, He found it limiting at times.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 20th Oct, 2008 - 2:49am / Post ID: #

Why Studying Deep Doctrine Sucks
A Friend

Sucks Doctrine Deep Studying Why

Thanks, Isiah53, for the link. For some crazy reason it didn't work for me, but I followed your example and easily found it for myself. I take it that your "quote" was a bit of a paraphrase. I still find brother Millet's quote a bit shaky. he was talking to some Evangelical Christian leaders, when they asked:

'What can we, as Evangelicals, do for our Mormon friends?' And I, I guess my mind could have gone a hundred different ways, but what I came back with was this. I said, 'Boy, I appreciate you asking that. I don't think I've ever been asked that.' But, but I said, 'Try this. Cut us a little slack, will you? Give us a little time. We're in the religion-making business, and this takes time. It takes centuries. And, and trying to explain the faith and articulate the faith, that doesn't come over night. We've really only been about that for 20 or 30 years.'

I guess I just don't get it. Joseph was actively defending our religion 140 years ago, with help from P.P. Pratt and many others. I wasn't aware that we had ever stopped. I served my mission 23 years ago. I sure was articulating the faith then.

I also don't much like the sound of "religion-making." What is up with that? We're not making it. God is. I think Brother Millet was making the best of a situation.

Post Date: 27th Oct, 2008 - 11:23pm / Post ID: #

Why Studying Deep Doctrine Sucks Studies Doctrine Mormon

Name: Rob

Comments: When it comes to Deep Doctrine becoming the never ending quest of knowledge, it begins to assume the guise of not being able to see the forest for the trees. If this is the case, then what Deep Doctrine should be the focus of our attention? Aside from the personal doctrines of repentance and baptism, what should be our collective focus? Joseph Smith certainly understood what that focus was to be. They where to establish the Kingdom of God (Zion) via accepting and living the Law of Consecration for the purpose of bringing together all the tribes of Israel and preparing a suitable Bride for the Groom. This is the reason for our coming to Earth at this particular time. So what happened...? The early saints failed at this endeavor, the Law of Consecration was replaced with the Law of Tithing, the whole church was placed under a curse and eventually driven from the chosen spot. So has anything come from the Lord stating this quest to be null and void? No. That is why we still fall beneath the curse of a broken Law. What is to break this curse? The Lord would never leave us just utterly hanging in doubt without supplying us with the answer and hope of one day resending that curse and providing us with a second chance to establish Zion. So what is our collective goal at this juncture in Church History? Are we any closer to becoming a Zionist people with one heart and mine as opposed to those early Saints who failed? According to President Benson, we had become an idolatrous people steeped in pride. We must have improved since then as we have not received much counsel regarding those matters as of late. We must also be much closer to becoming of one mind also. Just look at the way we coeiless in our political beliefs among members...sure looks as though we pull together in that regard, right? Some veer to the right, others to the left, while a few drift toward an independent ideology. I would say that the independent train of thought tends to reflect something closer to the nature of God as it separates itself from the status quo of entrenched two party politics...the Government of Man...doomed to fail regardless of party affiliation. So if we have come so far, why dose the pursuit of wealth among members seem to be the Zion we seek? I thought the desire to put the needs of others before our own was the basic ingredient to true happiness...What have we forgotten in regard to the Deep Doctrine of who we were supposed to become? Have we now become a full brood of sleeping Virgins? What will it take to wake us up? Some sort of internal crisis to shake us from our slumber...or is this just another day in paradise? The Lord has indeed left us with a solution...Read carefully, D&C 85&103. This is the solution to some future event that will rock us to the core and cause a great division among us. These are the collective Doctrines that should most concern us. Doctrines worth investigating. If these Doctrines seem a waste of time to learn,then you have no future in the Church, for its future is based upon these doctrines.

Post Date: 29th Oct, 2008 - 4:51am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 3 Sucks Doctrine Deep Studying Why

Rob you keep inferring of a change within the church. I would agree, but it is almost as if you are implying that it is the leadership itself. I would disagree if the argument is that the apostles or pophet positions will be infiltrated. You want to talk about senator Reed or Hatch... sure. Maybe even some of the lower leadership positions have ill leadership.

Leave the metophor and mystisism to the leaders. They have to talk to the masses. We on this forum don't. In other words "get down to the brass tacks".

Atleast half the people here understand that something bad is going on. Atleast half of us know the revelations from the past and presant are at hand.

I like your posts but you are coming across as all knowing and you need to say what you think and give some referenses to your angle on things.

If you are insulted then don't feel to bad. I think I have insulted practically everyone here. I just think that people should know where things are coming from.

There are many ways to cook an egg and we all cook it differrently.

And that is what sucks about deep doctrine. We all have different explanations for the same picture.

Post Date: 29th Oct, 2008 - 7:25am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Sucks Doctrine Deep Studying Why

Quasar, I appreciate your candor. I'm not offended at all. My hyde is thicker than most. I'm sorry for coming across as a know it all. Believe me, I am well accustomed to getting to the brass tacks. I've chosen this approach as sometimes an all out frontal approach to sensitive subjects tend to do more harm for the uninitiated. My intent is not to harm anyone by blasting them with things they can't handle. I try to cause a listener to find the answer for himself by approaching it from an oblique angle. I can see that I should be elsewhere. You guys have a good forum. I wish you all good fortune. I'm going back to my books.

28th Dec, 2008 - 12:59am / Post ID: #

Jarhead has explained why studying deep doctrine sucks. When everyone starts to get opinionated and contentious to some regard everyone just clams up and goes back to their own thing - that sucks!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Jan, 2009 - 3:56pm / Post ID: #

Why Studying Deep Doctrine Sucks - Page 3

We can come to know the truth of ALL things through the Holy Ghost. Most of us ,myself included need to have an intimate relationship with the Holy Ghost. It will be through his help that we can gain greater knowledge and wisdom through putting into practice that which we have already been given and implement new knowledge.
Oddley

27th Jan, 2009 - 3:59pm / Post ID: #

Why Studying Deep Doctrine Sucks Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

Oddley, and based on what you said that for you is why studying Deep Doctrine sucks?

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Why Studying Deep Doctrine Sucks

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,