Abiding in the Lord

Abiding Lord - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 14th Sep, 2008 - 8:07pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 14th Sep, 2008 - 8:07pm / Post ID: #

Abiding in the Lord

Abiding in the Lord
Mormon Singles Related / LDS Single Adults

"'Abide in me' is an understandable and beautiful enough concept in the elegant English of the King James Bible, but 'abide' is not a word we use much anymore. So I gained even more appreciation for this admonition from the Lord when I was introduced to the translation of this passage in another language. In Spanish that familiar phrase is rendered 'permaneced en mi.' Like the English verb 'abide,' permanecer means 'to remain, to stay,' but even gringos like me can hear the root cognate there of 'permanence.' The sense of this then is 'stay--but stay forever.' That is the call of the gospel message to Chileans and everyone else in the world. Come, but come to remain. Come with conviction and endurance. Come permanently, for your sake and the sake of all the generations who must follow you, and we will help each other be strong to the very end."

Jeffrey R. Holland, "Abide in Me," Ensign, May 2004, 30

Sponsored Links:

> TOPIC: Abiding in the Lord

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,