Mormon Autistics - Autistic LDS - Autism & Mormons - Page 6 of 10

Name: Martin Comments: Our son Jason had moderate - Page 6 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 23rd Apr, 2011 - 1:38pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 10 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Autistic Mormons Autism - Aspergers - Special Needs - High Functioning - Low Functioning - Autism In Mormonism - Special needs Members that face challenges in the world as Members of the Church. Are Church leaders and teachers sensitive to the issues surrounding those who may need their support with understanding the special needs of those around them? Controversial Mormon Issue.
11th Jan, 2011 - 12:14am / Post ID: #

Mormon Autistics - Autistic LDS - Autism & Mormons - Page 6

international QUOTE (Molly)
Its all up to your local ward though because no two wards are alike.

True, but I do not wait for Members to understand or expect them to understand. I just do what I need to based on what we see as best as others cannot know this, even if they sometimes pretend to just by 'looking'.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 17th Jan, 2011 - 9:22pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Autistics - Autistic LDS - Autism & Mormons
A Friend

Mormons and Autism LDS Autistic Autistics Mormon

I was grateful to see the newly updated handbooks and at least a mention of special needs. Perhaps, this will open member's minds, especially those in leadership positions, in really discussing with individuals and parents of special needs how to help them more instead of judging the parents or individual. Our 5 year old little boy has special needs and is struggling with Autism and Tourette's Syndrome. We also have an 8 year old who struggles with Tourette's and ADHD. It is difficult to try to handle the situations in public, like at church,(where their actions are triggered more) as others without knowing the circumstances tend to make quick judgments on one's parenting skills and on that individual without knowing all the circumstances.

I really liked President Monson's words in his talk in the General Relief Society Meeting in September 2011.

international QUOTE
None of us is perfect.  I know of no one person who would profess to be so.  And yet, for some reason, despite our own imperfections, we have a tendency to point out those of others.  We make judgments concerning their actions or inactions.  There is really no way we can know the heart, the intentions, or the circumstances of someone who might say or do something we find reason to criticize.  Thus the commandment "Judge not."

I admire your work with your three sons, JB. I know it is a struggle and so difficult as a parent to watch your children deal with hard things. It is hard to explain to others why you do the things you do with certain children. I have found it helpful to talk to people in my ward in an attempt to let them know and understand our circumstances. We are blessed to live in a ward that truly cares and desires to help in any way possible. We have a great support system, but it is still extremely difficult to deal with. I know others do not have that support system and my prayers go out to you that you may find the help that you need to get you through these trials. Thank you for your words, Feathertail. It is interesting to me to read about your experiences in battling Autism.

18th Jan, 2011 - 2:48am / Post ID: #

Mormon Autistics - Autistic LDS - Autism & Mormons Studies Doctrine Mormon

Pianomom, I didn't know one of your kids was autistic. Was he recently diagnosed? How are you all coping?

Post Date: 19th Jan, 2011 - 12:09am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 6 Mormons and Autism LDS Autistic Autistics Mormon

Thank you for your concern. We are doing fine. We have a very supportive, loving family that lives near as well as good friends and an awesome ward. That helps tremendously. It is our 5 year old. We have known for the last two years, but we have had more to deal with as he ages. We are doing the last series of testing right now for him to go to preschool three times a week, for three hours a day. He starts kindergarten this year, but we are blessed to live in a great school district and have a small school so he will be able to receive individualized care. I try not to talk about it too much because it makes me sad for him, possibly being teased as he gets older, but he does have 3 older brothers and 2 younger brothers to protect him so it is good that he is the middle child. I like to focus on the things my son can do, not the things he cannot.

I can't imagine having three special needs. This same son also has both kinds of Tourette's Syndrome--the vocal tics, throat clearing, head jerks, and the saying words repeatedly. Mainly, he says, "Poopy" out loud or "Butt" since he does not know any bad words. I have to be careful how I react when he learns a new word. If I react big, then he knows that is a word to start using often. If I calmly explain why we don't say a word and what it means, he does not use it. It can be embarrassing in church when he blurts out a word repeatedly. My husband and I can hear him, but most around us do not hear him most of the time. I have another son who also has Tourette's as well, but just the throat clearing and vocal tics, mainly seen when his mind is not busy and active--during movies, especially. He also has ADHD. He has a very active spirit that is sometimes difficult to control and contain. I think I may have Tourette's as well--the clearing the throat part. I have always had problems sitting for long periods of time and I clear my throat a lot when not actively doing something. I try to stay busy!

My autistic son has difficulty in social settings, especially large groups. It took me until he was three years old to convince the doctor that he had hearing problems and large tonsils and adenoids. His ears were horrendous. The large adenoids were blocking his ear tubes and he had tubes placed in his ears at age 3 1/2. During this time, the doctor says the age of 3 is when kids learn the majority of their social skills for life and how to communicate with others, including speech as well. He was not able to learn how to establish those relationships and communicate. He still has difficulty hearing. Background noise totally confuses him. He can't hear high frequency noises like alarms, buzzers, etc... In his right ear at all. The audiologist is working with him and if some of his issues are not corrected by his appointment in February, they make think about doing something cochlear for him. He has an especially difficult time at Primary, not so much when he goes to his Primary class, but during Sharing time. He does pretty well during music time--the music calms him. Our ward has been wonderful at providing good teachers that he is comfortable with to teach him. Currently, his aunt (who had special needs as a child and is a certified teacher) is his primary teacher. She is wonderful with him! He does great in class, but has difficulty during Sharing Time, wanting to wander and come and sit by me. The Primary presidency is aware of his problems so they have been very understanding and helpful. Definitely, large groups especially at church seem to trigger him.

All of their teachers are aware of all of our children's problems and we are blessed to be in a small, close knit community both at church and school where they receive more individualized help and are truly cared for. Practically, the whole school is related to us. Thanks for letting me get that out.

22nd Jan, 2011 - 3:16pm / Post ID: #

Mormons and Autism LDS Autistic Autistics Mormon

Wow Pianomom I don't know what to say. It seems like you have a lot to deal with but how blessed you are in having such a great support system! What is the treatment for Tourette's? And how mild or severe is your son's autism? I'm sending you a big hug and hope things work out for you and your kiddies.

Post Date: 10th Feb, 2011 - 9:37pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

ChicaSUD

international QUOTE
What is the treatment for Tourette's? And how mild or severe is your son's autism?

Tourette's can be treated with medication, but the side effects of the medication are, in my opinion, way worse than the Tourette's itself. For now, our son with the vocal outbursts is not medicated for Tourette's. Someday, we may decide to medicate. For now, I just try to make sure I explain words as he learns them calmly, in particular, words that should not be used. I try to explain why we do not use certain words, and that seems to have the best approach. It seems if I have a big reaction to a word he says, it tends to get used more frequently. I also make sure that people he deals with regularly are aware of his condition so they will be sensitive to his reactions and needs.
The tics don't seem to bother my sons nor are they even aware they are doing it, but everyone around them is.

My son's autism is medium/moderate, I would say. My next door neighbor's are my husband's parents. They are teachers and they have helped us in how to deal with the autism best. It is definitely a challenge having a son with autism, but we have been blessed beyond measure. I find I have to re-teach him many things on a daily basis. He definitely benefits from small groups and one-on-one time. Thank you for your concern.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
15th Feb, 2011 - 3:13pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Autistics Autistic LDS Autism & Mormons - Page 6

Pianomom you're a true inspiration to many women. You sound like a very patient person, I'm glad you are getting the kind of help you need. After reading all this I wonder how many autistic people (undiagnosed) we have in our wards you know what am I saying? I'll keep my eyes open so I could help someone who may need it.

Post Date: 23rd Apr, 2011 - 1:38pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Autistics Autistic LDS Autism & Mormons Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 6

Name: Martin

Comments: Our son Jason had moderate to severe autisim with an intellectual disability. This however did not stop him from progressing from a little firecracker who could not sit still to a happy young man who took great pleasure in passing the sacrament and sitting next to people he considered his friends. On the day of his last fast and testimony meeting his testimony galvanised the entire congregation into silence. A good friend of our family said she could see three angels standing around him, and her friend said she could hear heavenly music coming from somewhere. Our bishop at the time felt it was necessary for him to be baptised and receive the priesthood, we now know he was inspired to tell us this. he was and is one of our greatest joys and our greatest sorrow when he was taken so suddenly from us, he was hit and killed in a tragic car accident.

+  « First of 10 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

> TOPIC: Mormon Autistics - Autistic LDS - Autism & Mormons

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,