As Moses Depended upon Aaron

As Moses Depended Aaron - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 15th Oct, 2008 - 7:07pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Mormon History
Post Date: 15th Oct, 2008 - 7:07pm / Post ID: #

Mormon History Related

"The two brothers [Joseph and Hyrum Smith] sustained and supported each other through the cruelty to which they were subjected in jail at Richmond and the inhumane treatment in the dungeons of Liberty Jail. While marching with Zion's Camp, both were stricken with cholera and were literally at death's door. As they prayed with each other to be healed, Hyrum sprang to his feet, exclaiming, 'I have had an open vision, in which I saw mother kneeling under an apple tree; and she is even now asking God, in tears, to spare our lives, that she may again behold us in the flesh. The Spirit testifies, that her prayers, united with ours, will be answered' (Leonard J. Arrington and Susan Arrington Madsen, Mothers of the Prophets [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1987], p. 20)."As a result of such experiences, Joseph came to depend upon Hyrum just as Moses depended upon Aaron. Of Hyrum, Joseph said: 'I could pray in my heart that all my brethren were like unto my beloved brother Hyrum, for truly he possesses the mildness of a Lamb, and the integrity of a Job; and in short the meek and quiet spirit, of Jesus Christ; and I love him with that love, that is stronger than death, for I never had occasion to rebuke him, nor he me' (The Papers of Joseph Smith, ed. Dean C. Jessee, 2 vols. [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1989-92], 1:168)."Brigham Young said that 'Hyrum was as good a man as ever lived. . . . His integrity was of the highest order. . . . I used to think, and think now, that an angel dwelling in the presence of the Father and the Son possessed no more integrity in their hearts than did Hyrum Smith' (address given by Brigham Young, Salt Lake City Bowery, 8 Oct. 1866, LDS Church Archives, Salt Lake City). John Taylor said that Hyrum was 'a great and good man, and my soul was cemented to his. If ever there was an exemplary, honest, and virtuous man, an embodiment of all that is noble in the human form, Hyrum Smith was its representative' (History of the Church, 7:107)."The Lord Himself, however, gave the greatest tribute to Hyrum when He said, 'Blessed is my servant Hyrum Smith; for I, the Lord, love him because of the integrity of his heart, and because he loveth that which is right before me, saith the Lord' (D&C 124:15)."

M. Russell Ballard, "Brothers Bound by Love and Faith," Ensign, Sept. 1994, 65

Topics: Honesty and Integrity

Source: Church History Gems

Sponsored Links:

> TOPIC: As Moses Depended upon Aaron

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,