Mormons Having Many Wives - Mormon Polygamy - Page 2 of 5

QUOTE (alskann @ 25-Nov 08, 6:12 PM) One of - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 5th Apr, 2009 - 2:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Mormon Polygamy Mormon polygamy - Note that the depth of this Topic is covered more in other Threads within this Board such as In that day seven women shall.... Originially this Thread was to help Non-LDS undertsand the concept without going into depth about the theories associated with Mormon Polygamy.
24th Nov, 2008 - 10:07pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Having Many Wives - Mormon Polygamy - Page 2

Why hasn't the Mormon church brought back plural marriage among its members? Do you hope one day to have plural wives? This must be similar to the Muslim concept of many virgins in the next life.

Sponsored Links:
24th Nov, 2008 - 11:36pm / Post ID: #

Polygamy Mormon Wives Many Mormons

This must be similar to the Muslim concept of many virgins in the next life.

We believe that the relationship is an egalitarian one where their is equality in all things(The man and woman, though different in character and nature compliment each other and cannot be happy without the other). The relationship is completely voluntary and does not involve compulsion or subversion of one sex by another. We hold it to be more in line with the practice as it was done in the Old Testament (but a more perfected form) and less to do with that of the Muslim faith.

Why hasn't the Mormon church brought back plural marriage among its members?

Because God has not commanded us to live this law, at this particular time. It may be a law that we may have to live in the future, but until then, it is a prohibited practice to have more the one living wife and it is considered an excommunicable offense and has been for more then a hundred years.

Do you hope one day to have plural wives?

Only with the consent and approval of my current wife (Pianomom is her screen name here on international discussions).

I believe that I will be able to live this law, when I have advanced in knowledge to understand completely the necessity for the law. In theory, I understand it in relationship to an eternal prospective, but have questions concerning the fulfilment of the law in practice.

In the end I could only live this law if I had the complete support of my wife, and I was in complete assurance that this was indeed a commandment of God.

25th Nov, 2008 - 6:04pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Having Many Wives - Mormon Polygamy Studies Doctrine Mormon

Because God has not commanded us to live this law, at this particular time.

Well let me look at this for a second because I'm trying to understand it. This was a commandment from god when it was first introduced by Brigham Young or was this just based on an interpretation of the Old Testament?

25th Nov, 2008 - 7:34pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Polygamy Mormon Wives Many Mormons

It was given to Joseph Smith first as a Commandment by God.

We believe that Prophets receive inspiration and revelation to direct the Church as in ancient times, and as in ancient times the people are required to fulfill certain laws that in other times they may not be.

Examples of laws that were instituted in the past the but are not required by us today:
Law of Animal Sacrifice
Prohibition by Christ to teach anyone but the Jewish Nation as taught in the first part of the new testament.
The law of Moses
Dietary laws.

There are many more, but my point is that God institutes laws for particular peoples and circumstances. Thus the need for continuing revelation and prophets.

25th Nov, 2008 - 10:12pm / Post ID: #

Polygamy Mormon Wives Many Mormons

QUOTE (revival @ 24-Nov 08, 5:07 PM)
Why hasn't the Mormon church brought back plural marriage among its members?

One of the basic tenets of the LDS Church is to obey the laws of the land. Polygamy is against the law and so that is one reason why it was discontinued, has not been brought back and will not be brought back - at least not as long as it continues to be illegal.

And to answer, somewhat, your second question - I know very few men in the Church who have the desire to have more than one wife. Most will tell you that one is quite enough.

26th Nov, 2008 - 5:06pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Having Many Wives - Mormon Polygamy

If polygamy is not against they law then you are saying the Mormon church will start the practise again?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Dec, 2008 - 6:50pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Many Wives Mormon Polygamy - Page 2

I do not believe so, at least not immediately.
And that depends on if revelation was received to start the practice again.

5th Apr, 2009 - 2:12pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Many Wives Mormon Polygamy Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

QUOTE (alskann @ 25-Nov 08, 6:12 PM)
One of the basic tenets of the LDS Church is to obey the laws of the land. Polygamy is against the law and so that is one reason why it was discontinued

Where in the Scriptures does it say that?

and will not be brought back - at least not as long as it continues to be illegal.

I won't say so. There are countries right now where the Church is, that Plural Marriage is legal so I would not say is a legality issue.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Mormons Having Many Wives - Mormon Polygamy

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,