What If The Mormon Church Falls Into Apostasy?

What Mormon Church Falls Apostasy - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 7th Jul, 2009 - 11:15pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Hypothetical Question
27th Feb, 2009 - 11:08pm / Post ID: #

Let's assume for a second that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints falls into Apostasy, does the Church continue being the Lord's Church or no longer is?

Sponsored Links:
27th Feb, 2009 - 11:53pm / Post ID: #

Apostasy Falls Church Mormon The What

If the Church falls into apostacy it would no longer be the Lord's church by definition.

Do you believe this is happening?

Reconcile Edited: dbackers on 27th Feb, 2009 - 11:59pm

28th Feb, 2009 - 12:07am / Post ID: #

What If The Mormon Church Falls Into Apostasy? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I wonder sometimes if the changes (specially in the endowments) could be a sign of Apostasy. I recall Joseph Smith mentioning if ANY type of change will be made to the endowment ceremony it would be a sign that the Church has fallen into Apostasy. I need to find the exact words but that's basically what he said.

Rather off topic, but...
There are several things that concern me, mind you not serious enough to go less active but I ponder about them often. I guess being in an environment where the Church operates quite different from what I know to be, does not help. For more about what the Church is like here, check When you cannot commune with the Saints... what do you do? You will need to read from page one (from 2003!) to get a grasp on how things are here.

28th Feb, 2009 - 12:38am / Post ID: #

I wonder sometimes if the changes (specially in the endowments) could be a sign of Apostasy.

I guess it depends on if one believes these changes were given by the Lord or by man.

On your other point.
Though I cannot understand fully what you are going through in Trinidad, I saw some similar issue in Budapest Hungary when I was there as a Branch President. There were issues of backbiting and people not necessarily living up to their potential, and it was disheartening to see.

All in all however, there are some very good Saints there.

I think in any situation, one must rely heavily on their relationship with the Lord, especially in instances where they may not have the the best support systems. I have seen this in situations where only one member of the Family was a member of the Church and they had to dig deep to find that strength to hold on. I pray periodically for the members in Hungary that they will be strengthened in their hardships. If you don't mind, I could pray for you family also.

28th Feb, 2009 - 2:45am / Post ID: #

I am always interested in whether Satan is trying the Trojan Horse method rather than fight from the outside. You may like to look at these Threads:

* Can The Church Apostatize?

* A Century of Doctrinal Revisions

* Changes In Doctrine And Practice

* The Great Divide

6th Jul, 2009 - 7:30pm / Post ID: #

Hmmm. Should I jump in to this or not. Oh well, here goes....

Apostasy is not an all or nothing situation. It is a full spectrum with infinite variations between full spirituality and full apostasy. To me, full apostasy is working specifically against the work of God.

We are all at some level of apostasy, in that we don't accept all the doctrines of eternity that have been revealed, and none of us fully live the doctrines that we do accept. The same is true of the Church as a whole.

So, while there is apostasy within the Church, it is still the Lord's Church. The big question, to me, is whether or not the Church (or an individual) is going further towards apostasy, or moving towards greater light and knowledge.

At some point, I believe that the Church will have gone enough into apostasy that it will split up with some fraction turning only to the Lord so that they can repent and do His will.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th Jul, 2009 - 11:05pm / Post ID: #

What The Mormon Church Falls Apostasy

QUOTE (Nighthawk)
We are all at some level of apostasy...

I actually like that way of thinking about it, because we are in some form rebellious to something related to the nature of God, but is imperfection or human nature by definition Apostasy in itself?

Without drifting from the thread itself. The Church for me is very different from how it was a few decades ago, maybe the internet and suits are forcing the Church into a certain direction however this is the general action I see happening in the Church using a couple of examples:

1. The Church is showing that it is not fundamentalist but actually quite flexible to what the members and even government may insist. For instance. Plural marriage, which was supposed to be an unchanged Doctrine here to stay was 'stopped' based on what the US government wanted.

2. Endowment is too long and too personal, so the Church changes it to make time constraints and Members more comfortable. Such that was declared that it should never change.

Now there are many other instances where Policy is being made as Doctrine and vice versa and I think in many ways this is why the general Membership is confused and such issues as wearing a white shirt or not is discussed because it is a policy, but it is being seen as though it is a doctrine. Of late I have been standing back and looking at the focus of Members these days, meetings I attend rarely centers on the person and their welfare but policies. For instance you must have a temple recommend but not how to prepare for one. Activities are being pushed yet no one wants to visit or home teach. You are to give golden answers to each question asked and not stray or inquire. We are almost becoming like the Catholics where you just accept what is being handed down from the 'top'.

7th Jul, 2009 - 11:15pm / Post ID: #

What The Mormon Church Falls Apostasy Mormon Doctrine Studies

I think one of the main issues that disturb me (yes, disturb me) is the over-emphasis on worldly things. A nice suit, a big "colgate" smile, a masters degree under your belt, a good financial situation....are almost a "requirement" for a leadership position. Times and times again I have said "Such and such person will have such and such calling because they meet that criteria or they are "working" towards it" and it happened to be true, then I sit back and I wonder, why the rest cannot see what I do see? It seems like in many instances the Church has become almost pharisaic, where the "worldly" things people "praise" are happening inside the Church of Jesus Christ from the very top.

It is disturbing, concerning and sometimes even angers me.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: What If The Mormon Church Falls Into Apostasy?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,