My Safety In Trinidad.

My Safety Trinidad - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 28th Mar, 2009 - 10:06pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 28th Mar, 2009 - 3:12pm / Post ID: #

My Safety In Trinidad.
A Friend

My Safety In Trinidad.

Hello everyone...This is my first forum post...almost ever so don't be too hard on me.

I came onto this site in hopes of finding someone(s) to help me out and offer some advice.

Last night, I was talking with my father and told him that I wanted to go visit Tobago with him. He said that he wouldn't mind getting away to the beach and that it would be nice to spend some time together.

I then told him I wanted to spend a week or so afterwards traveling around Trinidad, to which he said over his dead body. My father then proceeded to tell me horror stories (one involving sugar cane fields and women left for dead) and I believe him, my father is an 81 year old man who wouldn't lie, and loves the fact that I'm like him and want to see the world and have never been afraid of doing it on my own.

Until last night I have never thought of Trinidad to be like that, I'm now feeling a little crushed.

My question is, Should I now be afraid of travelling throughout Trinidad by myself?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 28th Mar, 2009 - 5:05pm / Post ID: #

My Safety In Trinidad.
A Friend

Trinidad Safety My

I am a male who has traveled a lot over my years. I have listened and watched the stories that are coming out of the twin islands of Trinidad and Tobago. I am one who would not travel there at this time. It is that I am not afraid of the islands I just think that these two islands have a lot of unrest on them. I think I will wait till it calms down before traveling there. That is just my own Opinion.

28th Mar, 2009 - 6:17pm / Post ID: #

My Safety In Trinidad. Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

As a foreigner living here, I wouldn't recommend it, specially if you are going to be traveling by yourself or with female friends. Tobago is getting quite dangerous as well as there were a couple of murders there (foreigners). I completely understand the fears of your father. Having said that, it all depends on your plans, lifestyle, areas you will visit, etc.

Post Date: 28th Mar, 2009 - 6:24pm / Post ID: #

My Safety In Trinidad.
A Friend

Trinidad Safety My

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 28-Mar 09, 6:17 PM)
Having said that, it all depends on your plans, lifestyle, areas you will visit, etc.

So does this mean that there are some places that are relatively safe for me to travel by myself? Its just so funny because my whole life I have had this preconceived notion that "everyting irie" right its Trinidad! Now reading more and more it makes sense that there are some issues life CANT be a party at all times. Is there any programs for student from Canada who want to travel and live in Trinidad, maybe just as reassures for my father.

thank you

28th Mar, 2009 - 6:59pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad Safety My

Until LDS_forever answers here is what I would do, which you are probably already doing right now, spend time looking through the TT Crime Board and the General T&T Board and read some of the issues Discussed and that will give you an idea.

Post Date: 28th Mar, 2009 - 7:17pm / Post ID: #

My Safety In Trinidad.
A Friend

My Safety In Trinidad.

Do I sense some sarcasm? I have been doing just that and am getting a COMPLETELY different impression then the one I had in my head that made me LOVE the island.

Part of me would like to think you and LSDforever are some types of freaks that just hate the island for no reason. I guess the head lines speak for themselves.

As I'm sure you know in Toronto we have Caribana every year and its all about unity, togetherness . Need I quote some Destra song's.

Its just all very hard for me to grasp, I honestly in my minds eye would have imagined being able to come down to the island and being able to do what I please when I felt like doing it, but after talking to my father last night I am really quiet upset.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: It is not necessary to quote the entire post of the user above you. See Constructive Posting Policy.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th Mar, 2009 - 10:01pm / Post ID: #

My Safety Trinidad.

Sarcasm? I thought I was pointing you in the right direction, apparently not.

Also I do not get you assumptions, most of the sources here come from the news, statistics and other Members locally who share their opinion. Maybe you feel it is normal to see two or three murders a day in a tiny island, or feel unsafe to walk the streets or pay exorbitant prices for worthless items and services. If you are a woman then maybe it is alright for you that when you walk the streets people make sexual remarks to you and so forth. If you like vice then you will probably like it here, however to 'pass through' and live here is two totally different things.

Since you think our freakish ideas are different to what you know maybe you should read the experiences of others. I will share the following links and then will hope you will stop making this about my wife or my views and find out for yourself:

* Englishman in Trinidad: Source 3
* Italian in Trinidad: Source 4

There are many others.

28th Mar, 2009 - 10:06pm / Post ID: #

My Safety Trinidad. Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

It seems to me that you already have your mind set, so I really do not know why are you asking feedback? Just come and take whatever risks you wish, it's your life after all. Good luck. (And no I did not mean that "sarcastically" unless you "sensitive" self feels it that way)

As I'm sure you know in Toronto we have Caribana every year and its all about unity, togetherness . Need I quote some Destra song's.

Yes... Unity in drinking, partying, "whinning". It is so funny the concept that some people have about "unity" and "togetherness". Nevertheless, you should have stated this from the beginning. If you like the vice, you should move here for good, you will love it, you will become one of those Trinis to the bone, that do not see anything wrong with the country, too so crime won't even be an issue for you. Ignorance is truly a bliss. If your father is a Trinidadian, then you do not even need a visa since you are a Trinidadian as well because of him.

Have fun!

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: My Safety In Trinidad.

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,