Faithful Service

Faithful Service - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Apr, 2009 - 3:07pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Mormon History
Post Date: 8th Apr, 2009 - 3:07pm / Post ID: #

Faithful Service

Faithful Service
Mormon History Related

"Oliver Granger was eleven years older than Joseph Smith and, like the Prophet, was from upstate New York. Because of severe cold and exposure when he was thirty-three years old, Oliver lost much of his eyesight. Notwithstanding his limited vision, he served three full-time missions. He also worked on the Kirtland Temple and served on the Kirtland high council."When most of the Saints were driven from Kirtland, Ohio, the Church left some debts unsatisfied. Oliver was appointed to represent Joseph Smith and the First Presidency by returning to Kirtland to settle the Church's business. Of this task, the Doctrine and Covenants records: 'Therefore, let him contend earnestly for the redemption of the First Presidency of my Church, saith the Lord.' (D&C 117:13.)"He performed this assignment with such satisfaction to the creditors involved that one of them wrote: 'Oliver Granger's management in the arrangement of the unfinished business of people that have moved to the Far West, in redeeming their pledges and thereby sustaining their integrity, has been truly praiseworthy, and has entitled him to my highest esteem, and every grateful recollection.' (Horace Kingsbury, as cited in Joseph Smith, History of the Church, 3:174.)"During Oliver's time in Kirtland, some people, including disaffected members of the Church, were endeavoring to discredit the First Presidency and bring their integrity into question by spreading false accusations. Oliver Granger, in very deed, 'redeemed the First Presidency' through his faithful service. In response, the Lord said of Oliver Granger: 'His name shall be had in sacred remembrance from generation to generation, forever and ever.' (D&C 117:12.) 'I will lift up my servant Oliver, and beget for him a great name on the earth, and among my people, because of the integrity of his soul.' (History of the Church, 3:350.)"

Howard W. Hunter, "No Less Serviceable," Ensign, Apr. 1992, 65?66

Topics: Serving Others

Source: Church History Gems

Sponsored Links:

> TOPIC: Faithful Service

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,