Golf - Page 3 of 23

Earl was an amazing coach. I remember one - Page 3 - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 4th May, 2006 - 7:51am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (23) »
The highest paid sport, but when do they ever start to sweat?
11th Apr, 2005 - 3:41pm / Post ID: #

Golf - Page 3

That's a fair enough question, but I don't think it is the case. Let's look at the raw numbers. Starting in 1999, when Tiger burst onto the scene and started winning tournaments left and right. His scoring average was 68.43 and he held the #1 spot. The next 9 top players that year ranged from 69.17 to 69.98. Here were the averages over the next 6 years:

2000 - Tiger = 67.79
#2-10 = 69.25 - 69.84

2001 - Tiger = 68.81
#2-10 = 69.06 - 69.87

2002 - Tiger = 68.56
#2-10 = 69.47 - 70

2003 - Tiger = 68.41
#2-10 = 68.65 - 69.75

2004 - Tiger (#3) = 69.04
#1,2,4-10 = 68.84 - 70.05

So, the decline was clearly in Tiger's numbers. While the rest of the field may have increased just slightly (69.17 to 68.84) Tiger's numbers have significantly dropped (67.79 to 69.04). That's almost 2 strokes a tournament! Tiger is now simply just as good as everyone else, so his odds of winning tournaments has decreased. If you're interested, I got these stats from PGATour.com

https://www.golfweb.com/stats/leaders/r/2005/120

He is on target to beat the record for most major titles. I forget who holds that record

Check my post from Mar 16 about Woods retiring. I listed both records that he is chasing and who hold them. Oh and yeah, golf still isn't a sport wink.gif

Reconcile Edited: malexander on 11th Apr, 2005 - 3:42pm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 15th Apr, 2005 - 4:08am / Post ID: #

Golf
A Friend

Golf

I agree sometimes golf isn't as exciting as contact sports like soccer, football, or baseball. However when you see those guys (and girls) putting a 2 inch ball inside a small area, you have to admit that it takes some skill. I play golf, it's a relaxing sport. That might be why it was gentlemen only; ladies forbidden. Its an opportunity to get away from the things in your daily lives that bug you. The "Masters", like Woods and Singh, must have a lot of things that bug them. As for Tiger Woods, I think he was in a slump, but he is coming out of it. Something about a new family and a new swing. I think all the players are getting better. DiMarco for instance, the amatuer almost winning the PGA Tour? As technology has increased its gotten easier to play all the sports (new clubs, new balls) Tiger was simply behind the technology curve.

14th May, 2005 - 2:03am / Post ID: #

Golf Sports & Fashion Music Movies

Tiger's streak of making the cut ended today when he failed to qualify for the 3rd round of the Byron Nelson Championship today. He had made 142 consecutive cuts until today. Ironically enough, the second longest streak behind his was Byron Nelson at 113. I guess Tiger is human after all!

Post Date: 21st Jun, 2005 - 12:26pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Page 3 Golf

LORD OF THE GREENS

Wellington golfer Michael Campbell has stepped into New Zealand sporting folklore, holding off the world's greatest player to win the 105th US Open.
Ref. https://www.stuff.co.nz/hlc/1,,93498~3320025a10~,00.html

10th Apr, 2006 - 2:11am / Post ID: #

Golf

Phil Mickelson won his 2nd Masters tournament today and his 3rd Major tournament; all in the last 2 years. After having gone for years without winning a Major, 'Lefty' is proving that he is a world class golfer, and that he can win the big ones. I was secretly rooting for Fred Couples since he would be the oldest to win the Masters, and it had been 14 years since he last won it. However, being a left-handed golfer myself (and not a very good one) I had to root for Phil as well.

3rd May, 2006 - 7:58pm / Post ID: #

Golf

Tiger's father, Earl, dead at age 74

Earl Woods, who was more determined to raise a good son than a great golfer and became the role model, architect and driving force behind Tiger Woods' phenomenal career, died Wednesday morning at his home in Cypress, Calif. He was 74.

"My dad was my best friend and greatest role model, and I will miss him deeply," Tiger Woods said on his website. "I'm overwhelmed when I think of all of the great things he accomplished in his life. He was an amazing dad, coach, mentor, soldier, husband and friend. I wouldn't be where I am today without him, and I'm honored to continue his legacy of sharing and caring."

https://www.golfweb.com/story/9415231

I knew his father was in poor health, so this was not a real shock when I heard it. However, we all know what Tiger's father meant to him and his rise to becoming one of the greatest golfers in the world. My prayers are with Tiger and his family.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th May, 2006 - 2:45am / Post ID: #

Golf - Page 3

I was saddened to hear about the death of Tiger Woods' father. My prayers go out to their family. Earl did an amazing job raising Tiger. He's not only an amazing golfer, but a great person. I read on ESPN's website that Earl served two tour of duties in Vietnam as a Green Beret. He didn't force Tiger to play golf. He wouldn't let Tiger practice until his homework was done. He was more interested in raising a great son than a great golfer. That's a great dad.

4th May, 2006 - 7:51am / Post ID: #

Golf Movies Music Fashion & Sports - Page 3

Earl was an amazing coach. I remember one story of one of his training techniques. When Tiger practised putting Ear you to go on the green and make as much noise to be as distracting as possible. He had some very novel training techniques and is no doubt the backbone of Tiger's success.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (23) »

> TOPIC: Golf

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,