G.I. Jane - Women Soldiers - Page 3 of 9

QUOTE I was in the Marine Corps.  I still - Page 3 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 12th Nov, 2003 - 9:33am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (9) »
Best of  G I Jane,Women Soldiers The female soldier, is she worth two male soldiers? Can she stand up to the task? Everything discussed openly with a real female marine!
G.I. Jane - Women Soldiers Related Information to G.I. Jane - Women Soldiers
11th Nov, 2003 - 7:57pm / Post ID: #

G.I. Jane - Women Soldiers - Page 3

JB, I agree with you, but Nighthawk said he didn't see any evidence that women had done anything to help with the Military's mission.  You said you agreed with him completely. smile.gif  

I am objecting to any statement that says there is not a valid role for women in the military.  While I am unsure how I feel about women in certain combat roles, I just can't sit back and let it be said that women haven't and don't even today contribute in a very important way to the military today and their mission.

I have a neice in the reserves who was called up last winter and is currently in Kuwait.  She is in intelligence - translates Arabic.  She would love to come home, if she is not contributing then put some man over there and let her come back to her family.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Sponsored Links:
11th Nov, 2003 - 8:02pm / Post ID: #

Soldiers Women Jane GI

You said you agreed with him completely.

Okay, maybe I missed that one from reading too quickly, guess I will have to retract and say I agree with most but not all of what he said.

I am objecting to any statement that says there is not a valid role for women in the military.

I think women can be in the military, I just do not see the need to push for them to be in the front lines as a foot soldier. Most of all I think about the hardest point that a woman behind enemy combat lines will go through, rape.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

11th Nov, 2003 - 8:08pm / Post ID: #

G.I. Jane - Women Soldiers History & Civil Business Politics

Now, if you put it that way, I have to agree with you completely. smile.gif

Thank you for choosing your words so carefully.  LOL  ;)

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

11th Nov, 2003 - 8:25pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Soldiers Women Jane GI

Yes my dear, see you keep me on my 'Ps' and Qs'. wink.gif  My main point in agreeing with Nighthawk is the politics involved with making GI Jane. I see it being pushed so much. Looking at it on a global level it is only the USA that is doing this. You have to step back and think why other nations are not pushing it as much.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

11th Nov, 2003 - 8:39pm / Post ID: #

Soldiers Women Jane GI

FYI, I saw the movie G I Jane, it was not at all realistic.  So, don't use it as a judgement tool regarding women in the military.  It was truly Hollywood fiction.  The military is not that equal.  I don't know for sure, but I don't think women can really be Navy Seals.  I could be wrong though, and I am sure someone will let us know for sure.

I think my charisma points should go way up, since I handled myself so civilly in responding to this topic. ;D  It took great restraint.  I considered getting out the old M-16 and taking a little "target practice." ;D  

Wait on those charisma points though, let's see how I do when Nighthawk responds.  His posts are always very well thought out and thorough.  He will keep me on my P's and Q's.  smile.gif

11th Nov, 2003 - 8:47pm / Post ID: #

G.I. Jane - Women Soldiers

JB, I agree with you, but Nighthawk said he didn't see any evidence that women had done anything to help with the Military's mission.

That is NOT what I said.
I have yet to see any type of evidence that having women in the military enhances, in any way, this mission.

You will notice I only spoke about the mission, that is killing people and breaking things.  There is a lot of evidence that having women in combat degrades the overall mission.

Of course women have served in a wonderful supporting role throughout history, but especially in the last 100 or so years.  But do you have any idea what it would do to us (men) to learn that a woman we have been serving with is being raped and tortured?  Will that enhance the mission?  Will the thought that this could happen to a friend enhance the mission, or will it cause the men to be especially concerned about these friends?

Yes, the men are concerned about their buddies in their units, and we are still concerned about the POWs and MIAs, we shudder to consider what they went through and some may still be going through.  But it kills us to consider this happening to any woman.

Look at this year's example.  Jessica Lynch was in a horrible situation.  She was in an accident, captured, then later rescued.

But there are some real problems with her story.  At first, the media were all over it, putting her right up there with Audy Murphy, as being a prime candidate for the CMH.  As more details came out, we learned first that the Iraqi doctors were taking very good care of her, that the Iraqi military hadn't mistreated her in any way, or that she was in any immanent danger.  Now, there are stories that she was raped, yet once again, this story is learned to be false.

When have we seen the same type of story about a man who is captured?  There is no need to twist the facts to justify social engineering about a man, but there seems to be for a woman.

The same way we weed out the men.  Set a standard.

Great!  Set the standard and keep it!  But that doesn't happen.  I saw it while I was in basic training, and even more while I served.  The standards (physical) were continuously dropped for women, and gradually eased for men.  Instead, they should have been made tougher for all.  Now, we have (in general) an army of wimps.  The Rangers, an elite force, has a special uniform.  But we mustn't make other (inferior) soldiers feel inferior, so we give them all the same uniform.  Since we expect men and women to serve together, eat together, and, ultimately, to live together (as well as fight together), we will make sure that they train together (possibly even live in co-ed barracks(?)).  Of course, when you put a lot of physically fit, attractive 18 year-olds together almost 24 hours per day, certain things happen.  Since this is NOT agreeable to the military, then we must punish them for being young men and women.  Is this good for morale and for the mission?

Finally, what does it do to the military, and to our society in general, when a single mother of two ships off to Iraq, with no idea when she will return?  Or, better, how about the woman who ships out pregnant?  What does it do to the mission when a woman assigned to a navy ship gets pregnant on the voyage, gives birth while stationed in the Persian Gulf, and then gives up her infant?  What does it do to the father of four when he sees that any woman who wants to go home just gets herself "knocked up"?  (Believe me - it happens)  She gets to go home, yet he may not see his children for months or years.

I will accept that women contribute, a lot, in medicine, in stateside assignments such as personnel, logistics, etc., thus freeing up men to serve in combat and direct combat support roles.  I have nothing but respect for the doctors and nurses who put themselves in harm's way.  But I still cannot accept that putting women into ANY combat (including pilot) role or direct combat support role enhances the mission - at least in the long run.

It is a very different matter in homeland defense, such as Israeli women who serve in combat roles to protect their homes.  There, if they lose, they will be raped, tortured, and murdered.  In our (US) case, we purposely place women in roles (such as pilots) so that they will be captured, raped, tortured, and murdered, in foreign lands.

So, once again, I don't think that "GI Jane" is a good thing.

One more thing.  Many of the women I have seen who thrust themselves into overwhelmingly male roles (such as soldier, sailor, or airman), become hard, harsh, and (frequently) horrible.  Not all, but many.  A higher percentage than the men in the same roles.

NightHawk

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
11th Nov, 2003 - 8:58pm / Post ID: #

G.I. Jane Women Soldiers - Page 3

FYI, I saw the movie G I Jane, it was not at all realistic.

No, no, no... I am not talking about the movie, never was. When I said, "My main point in agreeing with Nighthawk is the politics involved with making GI Jane." Refers to women in the Military since the thread is called 'G.I.Jane'

12th Nov, 2003 - 9:33am / Post ID: #

G.I. Jane Women Soldiers Politics Business Civil & History - Page 3

I was in the Marine Corps.  I still have a friend who happens to be a woman in the Marine Corps.

I should have said this earlier, and I apologize.  ooops:

Thank you!

I don't want anyone to think that I don't appreciate those people, men and women, who put their lives on the line to serve in the military.  I understand how difficult it is to be a Marine, the types of sacrifices it takes, and the danger.

NightHawk

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (9) »

> TOPIC: G.I. Jane - Women Soldiers

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,