Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread - Page 535 of 590

Out of Character: Agreed, we need to either - Page 535 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 7th Apr, 2017 - 1:36pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

08th May 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Draconian
Draconian
Rogue
Rogue
Warlock
Warlock
Fighter
Fighter
Ranger
Ranger
Barbarian
Barbarian
Wizard
Wizard
Cleric
Cleric
Paladin
Paladin

+  « First of 590 pgs.  531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539  ...Latest (590) »
Closed
Forum Based Dungeons Dragons Dungeons & Dragons - KNtoran
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 7th Apr, 2017 - 11:52am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread
A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread - Page 535

Out of Character: They were ahead of us. We were heading up the hill, they're currently on top of the same. I'm not sure why Ildrahil is apparently considered out of position.

As to charging after them, Isn't the fort's kill zone up that way? I can't claim to be enthusiastic about riding into that.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 7th Apr, 2017 - 11:58am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Agreed, we've obviously been spotted. If any of them get back to the fort we'll lose any surprise we have. The fort may not know yet, but it may.

Are you sure they are ahead of us towards the fort? That makes no sense. Ildrahil should be in the middle of them. The way KN explained it I thought he was saying they were behind us. I must have misread. Time to ask a question.

7th Apr, 2017 - 1:12pm / Post ID: #
Albrecht
Druid 5
Character
Lieutenant / Head
Character Sheet Lock
Active Player Active Role-player!

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread Archive Pathfinder / D&D

The Wild Whisper says...

Out of Character: KN confirmed they are at the top of the hill and it was a scorching ray that was used. That means they are pretty close. I could try to summon a Hypogriff while we charge forward and then the next round cast impeding stone to cut off their retreat. Then we have Bastion and Albrecht in melee bashing heads with a hypogriff helping out and the others can run forward and join in ranged battle (Or spells) until we have them taken care of. We may be running towards the fort, but with this group in the thick of melee with us, they won't use the Ballista for fear of hitting their wizard (Who I assume it a pretty big deal).

Post Date: 7th Apr, 2017 - 1:15pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 535 Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Rogue,

Yes, but I want clarification on where Ildrahil is and why. I'm a bit confused right now. Ildrahil was heading towards the Fort. Why isn't he right in the middle of them? His rolls were high for being sneaky. He should actually be in the middle of them and have surprise on his side.

Reconcile Edited: Abnninja on 7th Apr, 2017 - 1:18pm

7th Apr, 2017 - 1:20pm / Post ID: #
Albrecht
Druid 5
Character
Lieutenant / Head
Character Sheet Lock

Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

The Wild Whisper says...

Out of Character: I completely agree. I was more directing those comments at the whole group to start getting a plan together. I agree 100% that you need to figure out where Ildrahil is and why you and KN think he is in different locations. While that is going on, I also want to get a plan together on how we want to respond. If we want to just lick our wounds and try to attack the fort tonight we can, or we can go on the offensive while we have a group of them outside the fort to go ahead and start picking them off. I don't think we have any surprise left and I don't think we will get much better of a chance. The drawbridge might even be down right now, since this group is out and they weren't expecting danger.

Post Date: 7th Apr, 2017 - 1:26pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Rogue,

Got it. My vote is we try to crush this group. Also, I agree regarding the drawbridge. The problem is that ballista. If we kill this group we'll have to advance over open ground with a ballista shooting at us. One hit and someone is half dead to dead. They won't hit every time but they will hit a few of us. We need to discuss our COA.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th Apr, 2017 - 1:29pm / Post ID: #
Albrecht
Druid 5
Character
Lieutenant / Head
Character Sheet Lock

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Party Thread - Page 535

The Wild Whisper says...

Out of Character:, I am hoping our 'battle mage' might have a trick to either disable the ballista or at least protect us from its shots long enough to get across the open ground. I feel really bad that our driver got hit for 6 damage, but hopefully he is just a little shook up and not too badly damaged. We'll definitely have to come back and take care of him soon.

Assuming it is a standard ballista, it will attack with 1d20-4 and do 3d8 damage. It has a range increment of 120 feet. So even though we have 1/2 mile (2640 ft) to cover, it is only effective within 240-360 feet at most. We can run 120 feet per round (In general, unless everyone is riding horses and then it is 200 feet per round), so at most it gets 1 or 2 shots off at us. With such a low chance to hit, I am not too worried about us being done in by it.

Reconcile Edited: Alchyrogue on 7th Apr, 2017 - 1:41pm

Post Date: 7th Apr, 2017 - 1:36pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Party Thread D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 535

Out of Character: Agreed, we need to either slow their retreat so we can catch them prior to them reaching overwatch range, or pull back ourselves, Impeding Stones would certainly help close the gap. That's a very nice spell, wasn't familiar with it before, it beats the pants off of Grease in most cases, and I consider Grease a must have staple.

In any case, I do not remotely recommend trying to take the fort now. We've definitely lost the element of surprise, but waiting another two nights for the new moon can still give us the biggest advantage we had been counting on, namely not having to approach the place under combined archer and ballista fire.

As to Deanna protecting us from the ballista, she already admitted to not having longer range offensive spells prepped, and the only 3rd or lower level spell that would otherwise shield us from the ballista I am aware of is Wind Wall. But even if she knows it and has it prepped, she'd need to be somewhere under 200 feet away from the fort to get the wall in a good position to cover the entire approach.

How about this, I'll go ahead and post in the leader thread about getting up on Arion and riding out while calling out to the casters to cut off their retreat somehow. That can be Albrecht's cue, and hopefully prompt Deanna to do something as well.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 7th Apr, 2017 - 1:37pm

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.