Historic Symbols Revived? - Page 2 of 3

Name: Jeff Comments: But the thing is why - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 10th Mar, 2008 - 2:42am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
14th Aug, 2003 - 1:43am / Post ID: #

Historic Symbols Revived? - Page 2

international QUOTE
But I do get impatient with uninformed, and sometimes completely off-the-wall  opinions. A failing of mine, I guess.

Probably so, especially since you are not here anymore wink.gif

Let us get back to the topic... Are there symbols that have a strong meaning of negativity that seem to be 'positive' now or made to be positive? Or even diplayed as positive but really negative?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 14th Aug, 2003 - 4:17am / Post ID: #

Historic Symbols Revived?
A Friend

Revived Symbols Historic

I live in the south and there are still people that fly their confederate flags high and proud.  I don't know if these people that have them are thinking positively about it, or wishing for the old days.  Some probably do still think the confederate flag is bad, and others probably think of it as a reminder.  

Now, in the instance of the symbol that Hitler used, I look at it and see nothing but negativity, because of all the past history from Hitler using it and current history around it.  

Of course many African-Americans still look at the confederate flag and think of slavery and the Civil War.  Yes, even some of the southern states changed their flags.  Mississippi didn't change their flag.  If I'm not mistaken, Mississippi was the only state that didn't change their flag.  The state flag still has the confederate flag in the corner.  But some African-Americans don't care what is on the flag.  Or at least the African-Americans I know and I am friends with don't care about it.  

We have a confederate flag, but not to fly and here's the reason:

Sylvanna's (my oldest daughter) father gave her a confederate flag, that was used in the filming of the movie, 'Gettysburg'.  Both her father and his father played as extra confederate soldiers during the filming.  In one shot, you can see her father really good too.  But he gave Syl the flag as a movie thing for her keep.  She has no idea what it means, and she's never asked what it meant either.  I really wouldn't know how to explain it to her right now if she were to ask.  She may not understand.  So, I have it folded up and put away for when she gets older, she can have it back.

Post Date: 15th Aug, 2003 - 12:57am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Historic Symbols Revived? History & Civil Business Politics

My response would be:  "Where do you draw the line?"  Someone is always going to be offended with something.  So how many people need to be offended before it becomes an important issue.

I find it interesting that the US Supreme Court has ruled that people can burn the American flag as protected free speech but we argue that other flags shouldn't be shown.

Seeing someone burn the American flag would really tick me off; and I know that it must offend the very core of some WWII veterans and others.  However, I have to support freedom and that is how I feel about these other symbols.  I may not like them but if the alternative is living in a police state I am not sure I would like that either.  

15th Aug, 2003 - 8:04pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Revived Symbols Historic

international QUOTE
I find it interesting that the US Supreme Court has ruled that people can burn the American flag as protected free speech but we argue that other flags shouldn't be shown.

I did not know that. You certainly could not do that here unless you wanted some jail time. I wonder, if the flag of the US can be burned... Can it also br cut up, dragged through the streets, etc? No, I am really asking, because if you can burn a flag then the others are allowable too?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 15th Aug, 2003 - 9:25pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Revived Symbols Historic

I honestly don't know the answer - in the early 90's there was a flag burning case before the Supreme Court and they upheld the individual's right as a free speech issue.  They may have addressed the destruction part but I'm not sure...generally they only cover the specific facts of the case.  However, it could certainly be infered that any of those acts were expressions of speech and if so would be protected.

Congress was trying to get a Constitutional Amendment to prohibit flag burning - but I don't know where it stands.

I suspect if someone burned a flag in the current climate(depending on the circumstances - such as causing a riot) they could possibly be charged with disturbing the peace or incitement to riot - which is not protected speech.  

15th Aug, 2003 - 9:40pm / Post ID: #

Thanks for the explanation. I think the US laws can be 'entertaining' at times. As far as symbols go though, I belive they are very important and can cause strong emotions.  I would imagine that if it does affect the majority to feel anger and disrupt peace then it needs to be removed? For instance a Nazi flag put up on a street where there is a strong Jewish community could only be for one purpose... to entice hate and/or cause pain. In a case like that I can imagine that cause and intent would win?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 23rd Jun, 2005 - 12:02pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Historic Symbols Revived - Page 2

HOUSE VOTES TO PROTECT OLD GLORY

Betsy Ross could never have imagined the patriotic discourse in Congress over whether Old Glory should have its very own constitutional amendment protecting it from desecration.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...43479%2C00.html

Post Date: 10th Mar, 2008 - 2:42am / Post ID: #

Historic Symbols Revived Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

Name: Jeff

Comments: But the thing is why should we have to sit here and take crap from people telling us that we cant have something showing on us because of someone else and I know that we should be considerate of people and I am but this is something that has bugged me along time because I mean I don't believe in god so when people wear the cross in public if it bugs me or make me feel offended about it does that mean they should take it off sense I'm guessing there more people who are like me?

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Historic Symbols Revived?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,