USA war against Iraq - Page 5 of 7

Agreed, Fireduck. Unfortunately for the Iraqis, - Page 5 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 1st Apr, 2003 - 2:36pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Closed
Post Date: 30th Mar, 2003 - 11:27pm / Post ID: #

USA war against Iraq
A Friend

USA war against Iraq - Page 5

"But I still suspect that once the main body of people are absolutely certain Saddam is dead and gone, they will be vastly relieved."

I am just thinking. If the siege that's beginning to take shape in Baghdad eventually defeats all the Republican Guards, and only Saddam and his sons are left standing. Will the US/UK invaders offer them the chance to surrender, be POWs and be brought before trial?

As I see it there do not seem to be any chance of the US wanting to take him prisoner. Bush just want him dead. Not dead or alive. Just dead. Isn't that like playing God? And if Bush wants him dead so very much, what if they catch Saddam alive, brings him in front of Bush ( and Saddam will probably still be very defiant, probably spit at Bush in the face ), will Bush be able to pull the gun trigger himself?

Or will Rumsfeld be able to do that personally? My guess is probably not. Other that the legality of it, I think they will be too chicken to pull the trigger and have blood splatter on their hands.

But, I guess it's easier to abuse the powers given, and order somebody else to do the dirty job. And it is so easy to issue another order to ask someone else's sons, husbands, fathers, wives, sisters, daughthers to go do the hit since the first batch couldn't successfully carry it out. The mafia godfather always doesn't have to do the dirty job himself.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 31st Mar, 2003 - 2:22pm / Post ID: #

USA war against Iraq
A Friend

Iraq war USA

I would recommend handing him over to the Iraqi people and letting them decide his fate.

Their relatives are the millions he has murdered. Let them pass judgement.

31st Mar, 2003 - 3:29pm / Post ID: #

USA war against Iraq History & Civil Business Politics

The iraqi military officers are getting my nerves! How they have the nerve to say that those suicide bombers are 'heroes' what's wrong with this people!!!??.
I was also watching how the iraqi civilians were trying to escape and the iraqi soldiers start to shoot everywhere when this people were walking, some of this poor people  even had small babies in their hands! Oh boy, I think I'm changing my mind in all this after hearing the Minister of Information of Iraq and watching the scenes on TV.  I have more thoughts but I will wait to see what's the latest.
By the way, I heard that the guy who built the bunker where Saddam stays said that will be impossible to destroy that bunker that it costed around 60 million dollars in the 80's to Hussein. Only a small atomic bomb will do the 'job' this guy said, he's not an iraqi by the way. The bunker is so powerful that can hold an impact similar to the Hiroshima bomb in a 200 meter of distance!. This bunker had been built in the basement of Saddam's palace. What do you all think? is he there?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 31st Mar, 2003 - 3:38pm / Post ID: #

USA war against Iraq
A Friend

Page 5 Iraq war USA

LDS,
Now you are beginning to get the picture I have of this situation in Iraq.
I have very vivid memories of '91, and carry a feeling of guilt that many of us do that that regime is still there after we had the chance to get rid of him and weren't allowed to do so.

Hard to say where he is. That first strike may well have caught him out of the bunker.
I have seen several suspicious things, several conflicting things.

We have SAS and Delta in the city right now. It's no secret, so I'm not giving anything away here. Saddam knows the boys in black are after him.

One thing is for sure. If we didn't get him that first night, we scared the daylights out of him, because he hasn't poked his head up since. He has let his lackeys do all the talking.

Post Date: 31st Mar, 2003 - 11:21pm / Post ID: #

USA war against Iraq
A Friend

Iraq war USA

LDS,

I agree with you about the civilians being shot at while trying to escape. That's horrible. And now the jittery US troops have shot and killed at least 7 members of a family. Can't really say I blame the troops in this case. But things are just getting crazier by the day. And when both sides are on high alert for days on end, something will crack.... their nerves.

And that was and still is the point for the worldwide protest against this attack or so-called war. The end result is always more civilian deaths than combatants'. The war is not good for humanity. Just like a Malaysian proverb here says, 'when the elephants fight the grass below gets trampled'.

Will this turn out to be the Vietnam of the Middle East?

Post Date: 1st Apr, 2003 - 11:27am / Post ID: #

USA war against Iraq
A Friend

USA war against Iraq

[quote]
Will this turn out to be the Vietnam of the Middle East?[/quote]

I doubt it.
There are several major differences.
One, the VC were backed by and operated out of a major government, China.

Two, we had a complete moron (LBJ) running the thing, and letting political considerations run the military strategy. The US military operated under severe handicaps (rules of engagement) that were suicidal.

Three, the VC were much better soldiers, were masters of guerilla warfare, had been fighting it against the French for years and had elaborate systems set up all over the country.

Four, The jungle terrain was a killer to fight in. Only a few of the US forces were adept at fighting in the jungle. This is the desert and the Iraqi forces are exposed, not to mention boxed in. They are sitting ducks and won't last much longer.

Five, when it gets to "urban warfare", the US troops are going to surprise you, especially the Rangers and the Marines. They have been training for just this type of fighting for about fifteen years now. It's not going to go like Saddam thinks it will.

If you will remember the incident in Somalia with the downed Blackhawks, everyone wants to call that a defeat. It wasn't. The Rangers, first of all completed the mission, which was the capture of some leaders.
Secondly, those boys that went down lost seventeen men. The Somalis lost almost 2000 men. You want to figure out that kill ratio for me? (And that was without air or artillery support. That was just old-fashioned hand-to-hand).

DO NOT underestimate the American soldiers, Fireduck, especially the Special Forces. They are very bad news.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 1st Apr, 2003 - 2:28pm / Post ID: #

USA war against Iraq
A Friend

USA war Iraq - Page 5

Stranger, I do not think it will be like Vietnam too. But because of the guerilla warfare and the deep distrust of the occupying forces, the hit and run attacks will continue until the occupiers are all gone. And that really is one of the defining strategy used by the Viets -- time and patience. No end in sight unless the 'invading' forces are kicked out.

Post Date: 1st Apr, 2003 - 2:36pm / Post ID: #

USA war against Iraq
A Friend

USA war Iraq Politics Business Civil & History - Page 5

Agreed, Fireduck.
Unfortunately for the Iraqis, their numbers are quite finite, less about 50% now, and dwindling rapidly.
They have no means for troop replacement, and when the Hussein supporters are dead, I seriously doubt the rest of the population is going to shed any tears over him.

And I certainly don't believe they are going to want to fight us, because we are going to great lengths to let them know our attacks are not directed at them.

There are many signs that the general population is well aware of this. In downtown Baghdad even the horribly biased National Public Radio reports the civilians walk the streets, confident that the air strikes aren't going to hit them.

They main population is just waiting for the Baath party to be wiped out.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: USA war against Iraq

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,