Irish Befuddled By New Blasphemy Law

Irish Befuddled Blasphemy Law - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 10th Jan, 2010 - 3:22pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

NPR's stories on U.S. and world religion, spirituality, ethics, and moral issues affecting society and culture. Subscribe to NPR Religion RSS feeds.
Post Date: 10th Jan, 2010 - 1:00pm / Post ID: #

Religious Based News

A new blasphemy law went into effect in Ireland with the new year, and it was greeted with a certain amount of head-scratching. Uttering anything abusive about matters held sacred by any religion is now an offense punishable by a fine of some $35,000. The law was immediately challenged by atheist groups.
Source: NPR Topics: Religion

Sponsored Links:
10th Jan, 2010 - 3:22pm / Post ID: #

Law Blasphemy New Befuddled Irish

This sounds very much like the laws that Muslim activists have been trying to get passed in many countries, and in the UN. It appears to me that the Irish parliament has surrendered without even thinking about it.

I especially agree with this statement from the story:

international QUOTE
"My own personal theory is that it actually had to do with the Danish cartoon controversy of about four years ago," he says. "That there was a fear that we might get a Danish cartoon-style controversy in Ireland - that some newspaper might publish something that Muslims found highly offensive - and it might have repercussions for Irish trade in the Muslim world."

> TOPIC: Irish Befuddled By New Blasphemy Law

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,