If Not Superman Who? - Page 3 of 5

You REALLY enjoy giving me fodder to hash - Page 3 - Comic / Anime PBP RPGs, Reviews - Posted: 3rd Jan, 2006 - 8:18am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
3rd Nov, 2004 - 8:30pm / Post ID: #

If Not Superman Who? - Page 3

Speed just doesn't seem enough for the best of the best. What can you achieve with speed only? The other super heroes are also stronger than the usual and have their own power. It may just be that I haven't seen enough of Flash but I don't think strength is also one of his powers. And if it's speed alone then, well, it just isn't enough. tongue.gif

Sponsored Links:
3rd Nov, 2004 - 8:44pm / Post ID: #

Who Superman If

I would not choose Flash, because of his level of immaturity is too low to handle serious issues, but my reply was in regard to you saying this:

Smudge: Flash who have no real Super powers

To say he has no real super powers is to overlook just how awesome speed can be. Imagine it this way... if you were in a room full of superheroes and all you had was speed then you could hit them all three times, disarm their weapons, tie them up and still have time to make an escape before they could even blink. That seems like a 'real' power to me.

3rd Nov, 2004 - 8:52pm / Post ID: #

If Not Superman Who? Reviews & RPGs PBP Anime / Comic

Sure, but does he have enough power to hurt them when he hits them, or to take the weapons from their firm grip? I don't know, when I've seen Flash (ceratainly not enough) he used his power only for getting from one place to another. I may be mistaken, but, yeah, either way he is too immature as you have said.

3rd Nov, 2004 - 9:00pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Who Superman If

Sure, but does he have enough power to hurt them when he hits them, or to take the weapons from their firm grip?

With speed comes momentum and with momentum comes increased force and in extreme cases even a distortion in time and continuance... all in the great comic world of course wink.gif However, keeping on topic, another good person is Dr. Strange, I always liked how he handled situations in a calm collective manner, he would make a good leader and his power seemed to also enable him to do 'anything' or be 'anything'.

Post Date: 19th Dec, 2005 - 9:10am / Post ID: #

If Not Superman Who?
A Friend

Who Superman If

I'm reading this and I find it funny that batman is thrown to the wayside not because of his anti social nature, but because of his lack of powers. In popularity, he has always been one of the favorites, as pointed out, people enjoy the anti-hero character. He remains a DC hero, so the superman crossover is covered. But weakness? The fact is, Batman can and has beaten most every villain and hero out there. He has beaten Superman on multiple occasions. People immediately tend to think he has no powers and is therefore weak, but his skill and gadgets can pretty much beat anyone when combined with his intelligence and resourcefulness. My friend once but in a very concise way what I'm saying, it went something like this.

"Batman has the money and resources to obtain anything he needs, really, he already has most everything stored away in his HQ. The fact is with at least thirty minutes to prepare, [Note: this time frame comes from the comics where he fights, and defeats Superman] Batman can beat anyone, he is worse off if caught off guard, however with his skills and the gadgets he always has with him, he can easily escape pretty much any situation and get himself the time he needs."

I agree with this, personally. Also, in the old justice league, Batman was always really the fall back guy after Superman, cause he is just that cool.

However, with all that said, I come back to my first point, and that is that Batman wouldn't be the leader, because he wouldn't want to. For this reason I pick dependable ole' GL, he is charismatic, well rounded, and powerful.

P.S. I mean either GL by the way, though the whole "I'm evil now! No wait, it was just a mind control alien demon thing, so I'm really a good guy still!" thing bugs the hell out of me.

19th Dec, 2005 - 10:59am / Post ID: #

If Not Superman Who?

Archaon, although I understand your stance, you still have not shown the ability of Batman to lead - a quality Superman has in his grasps. People respect Superman, they love him, would die for him, etc. With Batman there is a different story there where many even despise him. So, back to the topic: could Batman replace Superman - I doubt it.

On another note: your argument is best suited for this thread:
https://www.bordeglobal.com/foruminv/show.p...ST/f/178/t/8126

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 19th Dec, 2005 - 7:33pm / Post ID: #

If Not Superman Who?
A Friend

If Superman Who - Page 3

'Kay... But, thats not what I was saying... If you read the bottom quarter or so of what I wrote, I said that batman, while the smartest, has no interest in leading, and so wouldn't be the leader. Instead I picked GL.

All I was doing was pointing out the same thing you did about the flash, just in more words

I would not choose Flash, because of his level of immaturity is too low to handle serious issues, but my reply was in regard to you saying this:

Smudge: Flash who have no real Super powers

To say he has no real super powers is to overlook just how awesome speed can be. Imagine it this way... if you were in a room full of superheroes and all you had was speed then you could hit them all three times, disarm their weapons, tie them up and still have time to make an escape before they could even blink. That seems like a 'real' power to me.

Post Date: 3rd Jan, 2006 - 8:18am / Post ID: #

If Not Superman Who?
A Friend

If Superman Who Comic / Anime PBP RPGs & Reviews - Page 3

You REALLY enjoy giving me fodder to hash over.

Okay, if not Superman...who?

If you go with Golden Age...the year 1939 I think was the debut of Superman. So you HAVE to consider not only the time that the characters debuted but also the social climate of the Super Heroic age of literature emerging. With all that factored in, I give my own opinion. If not Superman then............ Captain Marvel. Not the Kree born, pink-skinned Captain Mar-Vell, but the original, Big Red Cheese. Captain Marvel...Shazam!.

Although Wonder Woman debuted around the same basic timeframe as Superman, she was and is a woman, so the social implications of a male being better than a female as a role model were still imbedded in the psyche of both boys and girls of that time ( and to a lesser extent, still present today ). Captain Marvel was VERY popular way back when, and if Superman hadn't been around, I honestly think he would be the top shelf hero of the comics industry right now. What do people like about Superman? He is super strong ( check that for Captain Marvel too), he flies (ditto for Captain Marvel), has a bright colored suit with a cape and no mask ( same for Captain Marvel, see a pattern developing yet?...laugh.gif ), his alter ego worked in media ( Clark Kent a reporter for a newspaper, Billy Batson was a Radio Station journalist ), was orphaned ( same for Billy Batson), Superman is noble ( so is Captain Marvel, who battles against the Seven Deadly Sins of Man).....etc...etc....etc..

I think that Captain Marvel fell to the wayside a little bit because his writers were [ A ] Maybe afraid of making him TOO much like Superman, so they kept him 'squeaky-clean' for too long, and thus made him a bit out of touch with readers as times changed. [ B ] a little TOO drenched in the morality issues because of his origin, and some people don't like to be constantly reminded that they might be participants of some of the 'Seven Deadly Sins' within their own lives. But the question was....Who would be the Big character if Superman had never been created, so I say...Captain Marvel.

If you want to look at Marvel Comics characters...then I vote for Captain America. He STILL gets mondo respect from the other Superheros, even though he has less powers than they do, but his leadership is second to none. Added to that you have the War Hero sort of respect that made Capt. America a hit when he came around during the WWII era. Remember those old black & white serials? Who had them? Superman. The Shadow. Captain America. Batman. Flash Gordon. So Cap gets some more credibility as a possibility of being the replacement in superhero lore if there wasn't a Superman. "'Nuff Said"....*grin*

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: If Not Superman Who?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,