Your Favorite Sci-Fi novel? - Page 3 of 3

Name: Reno Comments: Dark Tower series by - Page 3 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 30th Aug, 2009 - 8:18pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Which novel made you feel you were really there?
Post Date: 18th Jan, 2005 - 8:00am / Post ID: #

Your Favorite Sci-Fi novel?
A Friend

Your Favorite Sci-Fi novel? - Page 3

Robert Heinlein and Harry Turtledove are my favorite science fiction authors, and JRR Tolkein and CS Lewis are my favorite fantasy writers.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th Jan, 2005 - 10:34am / Post ID: #

Your Favorite Sci-Fi novel?
A Friend

novel Sci-Fi Favorite Your

David Brin: The Postman. They even made a movie, but only the book has the original atmosphere.

3rd Apr, 2005 - 7:22am / Post ID: #

Your Favorite Sci-Fi novel? UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

I'm rather partial to Piers Anthony novels myself. His incarnations of immortality series is quite engrossing. I'm sure there are better books out there though. Those were the first sci-fi I had ever read however, they hold a somewhat sentimental/nostalgic value to them.

I really want to read the original DUNE. Yet, I had just finished a fantasy book "The Dark Elf Trilogoy" (which is awesome by the way), and was eagerly awaiting the next in the series, when I came across the 'prequels' to DUNE. Having nothing else to read at the time, I decided to give them a shot. Now comes the critque:

As Smudge seemed to imply earlier, the original DUNE is mostly likely a great deal better. I'm not sure how much of the prequels are original ideas that don't have some basis from what was in the original DUNE, but I have found the prequels to be very excitingly imaginative. I have enjoyed reading them so far. They are well written for the most part, and I woudl reccomend them if you absolutely need something to read, but I would otherwise say to read them in between reading other books, as they can be a bit slow. Now, as I have said, they are enjoyable, yet they fail to capture a certain feeling that is necessary to make any sci-fi or fantasy novel great. I think that feeling is a lack of attatchment to the primary characters. It seems as though you're watching all of these events from a far-away place whereas in many other books, you feel as though these events are happening to you. I have come to the conclussion that the problem has to do with the fickleness of the books' structures. They jump from character to character and situation to situation so much that you have a hard time becoming attatched to anything. So to sume up, the DUNE prequels are good on many levels, but there are certainly more enjoyable reads out there.

Well then, I'm rambling at this point so I'll knock it off. Anyway I hope you guys have some more great book suggestions or reviews. I can't get enough when it comes to a good story. smile.gif

27th Apr, 2005 - 8:34pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 novel Sci-Fi Favorite Your

QUOTE (Areken @ 21-Jul 04, 6:16 PM)
Orson Scott Cards Enders Game. The rest of the series didn't really grab me as the first one, but the first one is just wow. makes up for the others in the series.

I'm very happy that someone mentioned this trilogy, but I can't believe you say that. Of course Ender's game was a good reading, but the other 2 were more complex, and complete. I loved Xenocide more than maybe any other sci-fi book ... well except Asimov's works.

Post Date: 30th Aug, 2009 - 8:18pm / Post ID: #

novel Sci-Fi Favorite Your

Name: Reno

Comments: Dark Tower series by Stephen King. That's all that needs to be said.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Your Favorite Sci-Fi novel?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,