Dungeons & Dragons Play By Post: How It Works

Dungeons Dragons Play Post Works - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 5th Feb, 2010 - 10:48am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

28th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Rogue
Rogue
Barbarian
Barbarian
Fighter
Fighter
Wizard
Wizard
Ranger
Ranger
Paladin
Paladin
Cleric
Cleric
Draconian
Draconian
Warlock
Warlock

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (12) »

?
Poll: After considering time, resources and overall role-play, Dungeons & Dragons is best played:
  Around a table where you face each other as it is meant to be       48.65%
  Via some kind of live web cam or interface       2.70%
  Via some chat interface       5.41%
  On a Forum or Bulletin Board like this one       43.24%
  On the computer in a solo game environment       0.00%
  Via snail mail       0.00%
  Other (Explain in your Post)       0.00%
Total Votes: 37
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
How to play Dungeons & Dragons This Thread serves as a GENERAL explanation of how Play By Post works. Each Dungeon Master may have different rules to their specific game.
16th Jan, 2010 - 11:20pm / Post ID: #

Advance Dungeons & Dragons Play By Post: How It Works

NOTE: Some of the links may be outdated because they lead to Dungeon Master Threads that are not active but the substance of what is said still applies.

UPDATE: This also refers to the style of certain Dungeon Masters since some Dungeon Masters do not use a Party Leader thread for party actions but instead interact with the Players.

For faster help use the Dungeons & Dragons Start Guide located here: MEMBER WARS BOARD

Start here: Dungeons & Dragons Start Guide

This is a rough, brief "how-to" For how the game works and how to set up your stats for easy reference during play.

Although the GM likely reads the Party thread or at least glances through it occasionally, it is mostly for inter-party discussion, roleplaying, banter, etc.

Rather than each person making individual posts for the GM to respond to, the game is done like this, in the Steps below:

1) Party Leader (Me in this case) regularly reads the Play By Post Game thread to get an idea of a situation or choice (Or result of a previous party decision) as presented by the GM. ALL PLAYERS SHOULD ALSO READ UPDATES TO THIS THREAD.

2) Party Leader presents and/or summarize the situation in the Game thread so the rest of the party understands what is going on and the main choices as he sees it, and usually offers his own intention, best guess or suggestion(S) for the group.

3) Party members and Leader roleplay and discuss things unofficially among themselves in the Play By Post Party thread, until ideally everyone has posted their final main thoughts and desired actions and any required die rolls they want their character, and the party, to make, regarding the current situation. Very slow or absentee posters, after a few days, are usually assumed to "Go along" With the Leader's choice. "Turnaround" For Game thread to Party Leader thread is usually 2-6 days, depending on: players' Party discussion activity levels, post relevancy to the situation, and clarity and conciseness of posts, providing all the info needed for the Party Leader to read.

4) Party Leader interprets (If needed) each character's actions and any necessary rolls, to put them into an easy-to-understand and read standard format, and ties everyone's posts all together as best he can in a single post.

5) Sometimes Party Leader posts his final summary or compilation of the members' actions in the Party thread so anyone can post any changes or additional info or feedback, which he responds to and adds in if necessary, but sometimes Party Leader goes with what he has, to speed things up when possible.

6) Party Leader posts Party Actions/Orders summary in the Party Leader thread. The GM regularly checks this thread to see what everyone is officially doing, and makes a response post in the Game thread for ALL party members to read.

7) No posts by anyone other than the Party Leader, in any forum, are considered to be "Official" Character actions "Submitted" To the GM, as only the Party Leader is the "Liason" That makes the official post of everyone's actions for the GM. Only the Party Leader posts in the Party Leader thread, only the GM posts in the Game thread. Out-of-Character questions, comments or discussion, usually to clarify game mechanics or etc. (What spells do I have, what should I roll to do X), should be posted in the Questions thread. Those interested in roleplaying and posting character history/background, and new developments, should post in the Character Development thread.

8) Repeat from Step 1.

*) Note: I encourage you to fill out your "Character sheet", the parts of which which appear to the right and left and at the top and bottom of any post you make, by clicking the [Edit Stats] link under your character's avatar/icon on the right hand column one of your posts - this takes you to your main Int. Discussion forum Edit Profile page, which covers more than just your general main forum info, and you can scroll down until you see the Advance Dungeons & Dragons fields, where you can enter various stats.

Advance Dungeons & Dragons Name and Class/Level/Race fields will be displayed at the top of your posts, like mine that says "Namdar Al Sattar", and "Half-Orc/Rogue/1/M/CN/6'5/320".

Tome is displayed on the right side of your every post and can be any notes you want to put there, background, religion, etc.

Spells/Skills are displayed under the Tome.

Ability Scores and bonuses and other stats (AC, HP, etc) will show up on the left column.

Equipment will be displayed at the bottom of every post you make.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th Jan, 2010 - 8:43pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Works It Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Yes that is the best way for it all to work out. I do glance in the party thread now and then but not very often. I let you all have your free space there. If I have any questions about the party order or actions I will post them in the party leader thread.

28th Jan, 2010 - 2:35pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons Play By Post: How It Works Reviews RPG & Card Board

Just to like give my two cents here. I think if the party leader posts just the actions of the character and the questions we have then we'll get more done faster because there is lots of dialogue in the party thread with specific questions that gets missed and sometimes people post questions in different places that are missed too. So like all the long conversations and stuff can be missed cause I don't think Kntroan really cares about that anyway. Something like this...

Beast will strike the orc he rolled 20 and 5 damage
Namdar does backstab ... Blah blah

We have questions:
# Can we do this...
# Can we buy magic

I think it will be less pressure on our leader too if all he has to look for is "SA" to know what to actually Post for the leader thread. Hey this is just my two cents.

31st Jan, 2010 - 9:01pm / Post ID: #

Since some of the newbies are like so lost you should probably add to this how to create a character so they like don't get themselves deleted.

3rd Feb, 2010 - 5:14am / Post ID: #

How's this, guys?

AD&D Play by Post Newcomer F.A.Q.?

It has even been stickied at the very top of the Introductions Announcement/Sticky section itself, on the main part of the site! I do wonder if it shouldn't also be here as well, but hopefully it will catch everybody there.

Post Date: 4th Feb, 2010 - 4:30pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I like the FAQ page you made Jpatt. One of the things I would have changed is under Character Creation. I think having the words "All characters created for play in the forum must be first level." This will save some time I believe.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
5th Feb, 2010 - 6:22am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons Play Post It Works

I agree, perhaps we can talk JB into adding that in where he feels appropriate.

5th Feb, 2010 - 10:48am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons Play Post It Works Board Card & RPG Reviews

I added that in the Rules long before you thought of it, but I will add it to your AD&D FAQ Thread as well.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (12) »

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons Play By Post: How It Works

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,