Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago - Page 4 of 16

I think that women dress for the same reason - Page 4 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 2nd Sep, 2003 - 4:05am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (16) »

?
Poll: [Added 24 March, 2006]: What do you think about the level of Sexual Harrasment in T&T...
  It is ridiculous, tougher laws are needed       60.00%
  It is really bad, but is now an 'acceptable' culture       26.67%
  It is bad, but I live with it       0.00%
  I really have not thought about it       13.33%
  I am guilty of this and need to change       0.00%
  I am guilty of this and will not change       0.00%
Total Votes: 15
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Why do women in Trinidad & Tobago have to be disrespected and persecuted? If you are fed up of it come let us know!
Post Date: 27th Jun, 2003 - 9:05pm / Post ID: #

Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago
A Friend

Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago - Page 4

whow lds....I am hearin u here..I mean I am an average looking person and I cant even walk out of the house without feelin as if I'm under a microscope I have even stopped wearin too revealing clothes when I go out now because I do not like the comments made to me when I do...I mean I dont mind a little male appreciation I mean if u look good u do but some of these men take it to the extreme and have me wonderin if their mothers taught them respect for females at all...I guess u also would know the crass and disrespectful things some of them have to say to u if u do not take them on ..callin u all sorts of names and casting a shadow over ur character..to the males I would say sometimes a look says it all as lds said u all need to use ur brain sometimes instead of ur pants cause I do not like walkin the roads of my country feelin like a piece of meat..I have a brain and I would like to be respected for it and not for jus how I look...some women might like the treatment u give them but this one certainly doesnt and u would gain more points with me if u could conduct urselves like GENTLEmen instead of sex starved barbarians....thank u ....

21st Jul, 2003 - 2:37am / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Harassment Sexual

[quote] i am an average lookin person and i cant even walk out of the house without feelin as if im under a microscope[/quote]
From what I see, it does not matter if you are Ms. Universe, average or the 'ugly duckling' because they are going to watch. I actually find that most Trinis involve themselves with watching. Yes, it sounds funny, but that is what they seem to do on a regular basis... watch.

Post Date: 28th Jul, 2003 - 6:39pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

i agree theirs alot of harrasment of women that is so unnecessary.if yu have a girlfriend and both of you are going out or together the men dont even show respect.they make it bad for the real gentlemen who are seeking a honest date.women in trinidad do not know who to trust anymore.

Post Date: 19th Aug, 2003 - 9:07am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 4 Tobago and Trinidad Harassment Sexual

The situation is really annoying.  However, I'm a very friendly person, so I smile with most people and tell them good morning etc etc.  When these men utter their various "mutterings"  I simply smile and move on.  I've seen guys disrespect girls who chose to ignore their "cat calls" and I mean really disrespect them telling them things like "She feel she so nice, but if ah only hold on to she ah go.........." with his male genitalia.  If that should happen to me I would literally melt with embarrassment.  Therefore, to avoid that, I simply acknowledge them and disappear.  I know it tramples on my rights as an individual, but Trini men will be Trini men ( gentlemen out there, you know that I'm not talking about you), and it's just something I think that I have to live with.  In a situation like that, I'd rather just let them feel that they have won, than to have to fuss about my rights.  However, as the caption says......I'M FED UP OF IT!!  

19th Aug, 2003 - 11:18am / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Harassment Sexual

The situation is really annoying.  However, I'm a very friendly person, so I smile with most people and tell them good morning etc etc.

This is what I don't understand about Trini women, they say is 'annoying' but at the same time, they answer them... If it's so annoying why to bother answering them in the first place?.

When these men utter their various "mutterings"  I simply smile and move on. 

Smile is a sign you like what they're saying or you want to hear more (yeah, that's what they get from your smile! is that really what you want to show?).

.  I've seen guys disrespect girls who chose to ignore their "cat calls" and I mean really disrespect them telling them things like "She feel she so nice, but if ah only hold on to she ah go..." with his male genitalia.  If that should happen to me I would literally melt with embarrassment. 

And because of that, you rather to smile back to this losers!? If they did that to me, oh boy, they better back off if they don't want to lose their genitals for sure! I will definitely confront them and embarrass them in front of everybody! I can be a great actress when I want to, but I will not smile them back just because of fear, not at all!

Therefore, to avoid that, I simply acknowledge them and disappear.  I know it tramples on my rights as an individual, but Trini men will be Trini men ( gentlemen out there, you know that I'm not talking about you), and it's just something I think that I have to live with

Sorry I totally disagree with you. The old saying of our grandmothers of 'Boys will always be boys' must stop! Why do you think there are so many Trini controlling men in this country? why do you think there are so many rapes? so many incest? so many men killing their wives? because....women do not stand for what they believe is right and because of the old saying 'boys will be always be boys'. I will never justify such behavior. You even acknowledge that they're trespassing your rights as an individual but you then says that Trini men will always be like that, they will until the women in Trinidad and Tobago have the enough courage (I want to say another stronger word but I cannot) to stand for what they believe and fight sexual harassment and other issues like this in this country. Men are the way they are because nobody is complaining about it, they don't see a big deal about it and because the women are in the comfort zone and I'm definitely not one of them!.

In a situation like that, I'd rather just let them feel that they have won, than to have to fuss about my rights.  However, as the caption says...I'M FED UP OF IT!

That's how Trinis in general handle most of the things, they know they're right but they rather not do anything about it...sorry but I just cannot understand it!*shaking head* it goes against any concept of common sense!.
What's going on Trini women, don't you all love yourself enough?

Post Date: 19th Aug, 2003 - 3:30pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

It's not that Trini women don't love themselves enough, LDS,  I love myself, but I'm just not up to getting into a fight with these people........I know that there are many women out there who would handle this situation very differently, but that is my way of handling it...... it's all about my peace of mind, knowing that I don't have to watch my back everywhere I go. Let me give an example: 

I remember a few years ago I confronted a man who was harrassing me in a fast food outlet and I let him have it.  I speeched him off and then complained to the manager of the outlet that the guard on duty did nothing when I told him that the man was harrassing me.  Where did it get me??  The man threatened to "chop me up like a piece of meat", and further pointed out that he knew where I lived and that I would pay for embarrassing him.  I promptly reported the matter to the police who told me that they would "look into it."  A few nights later, a car with three men pulled up at my grandmother's house where I used to live and, at gunpoint, robbed my aunt and uncle who were at home at the time.  When they were leaving, they told my aunt to "tell your niece that she wouldn't get off so easily next time."  How do you think I felt when I found that out?  Do you think that I would ever put my family's life at risk again??  Not if I can help it.  Truth be told, I don't think these men are worth losing any sleep over.....they say what they have to say, I let them feel that they have won, and I move on.  I'm not going to stand and argue with anyone about rights, for the simple reason that in this country, the law abiding citizens have none.  

In theory the rights issue sounds good, LDS, but in reality it's a different story.

19th Aug, 2003 - 3:44pm / Post ID: #

Sexual Harassment Trinidad & Tobago - Page 4

[quote]In theory the rights issue sounds good, LDS, but in reality it's a different story. [/quote]

Sad but true Marina. First of all, sorry to hear about your story. Several times I have been in situations when a guy is harrasing me and I answer him back (NOT insulting him but telling him 'Do I know you?' or something like that) never happened anything bad though but I do understand what you mean. My whole point here is that it must stop somewhere! we cannot allow ourselves to live in fear because of these bandits, the whole system is terrible like you mentioned but I do believe (strongly) believe that if the citizens of this country get united they can make a difference not only in this issue but in any other issue. I have lived in different countries and I can tell you I have never seen in anywhere else people who are so comfortable in the way they live (example: The flour prices rises and trinis complaint about it but guess what? they still going and buy the bread!) I never heard of real rebelion or "thousands of trinis complaining about the health system or the crime situation, you just heard talking with each other but really they don't get together to do something about it!. Why do you think the Governments in power are the way they are? because they know they can do whatever they want and nobody will seriously complain or fight about it. They don't care about their rights and yes, Trinidadians have rights and they need to wake up.
Like I said before, I understand your point and fear (Of course, I will be scared too!!!) but something must be done about it...all citizens must get together and fights for all these injustices. Trinidad could be such a great and beautiful place to live! but people treat it like a Banana Republic...come on...we can do better than that! so when they come with this Vision 20/20 I laughed, because people still hanging out of trees to get some mangoes and they talk about Vision 20/20. *shaking head*
Sexual Harrasment in Trinidad is a big issue, men don't think they're harrasing but rather being 'sweet talkers' and somebody has to let them know otherwise. By this I mean, stronger laws for those who act in this way and so many other programs and options. But like I said before, for this to happen, Trinis must want the change, so far I have not seen they really serious about it.

Post Date: 2nd Sep, 2003 - 4:05am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Sexual Harassment Trinidad & Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 4

I think that women dress for the same reason men do. Clothes help define who we are. Just go by the theory of residual self image from the matrix. If a woman desides to wear skimpy clothing then there must be some sort of desire for sexual attention from another. You can be dressed to look good but also not to be offensive or to offer yourself off as a meal ticket.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (16) »
Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,