Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago - Page 6 of 16

[quote]there is nothing wrong in saying good - Page 6 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 13th Nov, 2003 - 8:35pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 16 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...Latest (16) »

?
Poll: [Added 24 March, 2006]: What do you think about the level of Sexual Harrasment in T&T...
  It is ridiculous, tougher laws are needed       60.00%
  It is really bad, but is now an 'acceptable' culture       26.67%
  It is bad, but I live with it       0.00%
  I really have not thought about it       13.33%
  I am guilty of this and need to change       0.00%
  I am guilty of this and will not change       0.00%
Total Votes: 15
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Why do women in Trinidad & Tobago have to be disrespected and persecuted? If you are fed up of it come let us know!
15th Oct, 2003 - 6:34pm / Post ID: #

Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago - Page 6

What is even more sad is how quickly they forget. For instance in this same inncident they supposedly caught the criminal after the staff did a sweep of the campus' grounds, but these 'sweeps' or checks should be a constant thing, but it will soon die and become forgotten until the next rape.

Post Date: 22nd Oct, 2003 - 2:14pm / Post ID: #

Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago
A Friend

Tobago and Trinidad Harassment Sexual

I feel your frustration LSD_forever! I had my shares of those "disgusting bird calls" every time I went up for a visit to St. Lucia.  My sisters and I couldn't  even go for a short stroll down the street with my cousin without hearing the faint hisses and the ppsssstttt....the blowing and smacking of kisses and the hey baby, or come here girl..... or receiving "invites". Some of these "nuisances" were bold enough to show their faces and the rest hid behind bushes. Some were far away but still manage to send out a call. One even approached me and I had to give him a "shake down" against a COCONUT TREE! I have to agree with someone (maybe JB_Trinidad) who said that these obnoxious callers were nothing but drug dealers, lazy bumbs, street roamers, or just nasty people. **My cousin and granny gave us the dirt.**

I have met some really nice guys and they make up for the others foolishness!

But, I've learned NOT TO SHOW THEM THAT I AM UPSET anymore..... I simply ignore them. Don't show them that they are getting to you. When you ignore them, they are the ones who get their "feelings" hurt.

22nd Oct, 2003 - 6:35pm / Post ID: #

Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Hiding in the bushes? I think they are wimps at best. The Trinis seem more bolder, brash and upfront. You could be walking down the street with your mother and they would still tell her something in front of you.

23rd Oct, 2003 - 12:30am / Post ID: #

Page 6 Tobago and Trinidad Harassment Sexual

CaribeRose, thanks for replying to my thread smile.gif. Wow St. Lucia seems like not a nice place to visit lol...yes you ignore them but you know, I have blood on my veins lol...in a moment you're fed up and explote! you know what I mean? even walking with your own husband and child they dare to tell you something! can you believe that? *shaking head* is desgusting...sickening!!!!!!!!

Post Date: 23rd Oct, 2003 - 7:55pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Tobago and Trinidad Harassment Sexual

I agree with you JB. They are wimps! From my experience, the bolder ones will follow you until you talk to them. It's sad.

LOL! LDS_forever, you're a hot blooded latina! My latin friends are a walking time bomb for that kind of nonsense. As my sister told me over a million times, "Don't entertain them. They like it even more when they see you mad." But I understand your frustration. What can you do?  They'll be who they are....weasels! (I could say a lot worse, but I don't have a foul mouth.)

24th Oct, 2003 - 12:49pm / Post ID: #

[quote]They'll be who they are....weasels! (I could say a lot worse, but I don't have a foul mouth.)[/quote]

LOL who is the latina now? lol wink.gif

Post Date: 9th Nov, 2003 - 7:15am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Sexual Harassment Trinidad & Tobago - Page 6

AMEN! This issue is long over due! I am so sick of the harassment and one thing about it is people getting ty up between being friendly and sexual harassment! There is a BIG difference...there is nothing wrong in saying good morning even to a perfect stranger, there is nothing wrong in saying have a good day, but when you go beyond this type of greeting to total degradation is unacceptable, the thing is dat some men even resort to violence if you choose to ignore and if you choose to respond and be as degrading as they are you don't know how far that will lead... my worst experience was one day my girlfriend and i was walking and a group of men started up with  their hassel "pssst...ay darling.... sweets... darkiee...ect" and because we choose to ignore and not look at them, next thing you know somebody throws a beer bottle that hits my friend straight in her head there was blood spouting from her head i couldn't believe it i started to make noise and do you know someone even had the audacity to tell us" dat is wha alluh get fuh blankin people"   WHAT?.... this is the type of things women have to deal with? What makes things worse is that we were 13 and 14 yrs old they were almost grown men!....what was sad on her part was there were no hospital visit and no police report. This topic will have to stop being just a TOPIC! JUSS TALKING ABOUT IT WON'T STOP IT, trinipeople have this tendency we love to talk, first start up an issue and then drop the subject altogether and the government won't do anything about it because people have to realize it is not a 'cultural thing' I hated it that I had to pass a bunch of men everyday howling like dogs it's very annoying but I still stood up for myself, I heard someone said it's easier to smile and pretend you love this type of behavior than to do something about it but who says freedom comes easy? Because of this type of slackness even little girls lose their innocence very early, child molestation, rape, INCEST is on the rise but everything is hush hush, I now live abroad and I have met several women from Trinidad speaking about how they were raped, and some women including men that have had some form of molestation, incest and or totally degrading unwanted sexual advances.... who is really paying the price? ... unite go to the local newspapers write to the government set ah date to protest this type of behavior and make it a law to protect women young and old......... stop smiling at this... it's SEXUAL HARRASMENT!

13th Nov, 2003 - 8:35pm / Post ID: #

Sexual Harassment Trinidad & Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 6

[quote]there is nothing wrong in saying good morning even to a perfect stranger, there is nothing wrong in saying have a good day, but when you go beyond this type of greeting to total degradation is unacceptable[/quote]
That is why sometimes you can't even say, 'morning', because they think that means you 'like' them. Trinidadians are so primative in this area, just because someone greets you does not mean they want to go on  a date with you.
[quote]I could talk about this with regards to dating, but that is another thread.[/quote]

Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,