Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago - Page 8 of 16

Trinidadian men have this socially conditioned - Page 8 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 3rd Dec, 2004 - 10:07am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 16 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...Latest (16) »

?
Poll: [Added 24 March, 2006]: What do you think about the level of Sexual Harrasment in T&T...
  It is ridiculous, tougher laws are needed       60.00%
  It is really bad, but is now an 'acceptable' culture       26.67%
  It is bad, but I live with it       0.00%
  I really have not thought about it       13.33%
  I am guilty of this and need to change       0.00%
  I am guilty of this and will not change       0.00%
Total Votes: 15
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Why do women in Trinidad & Tobago have to be disrespected and persecuted? If you are fed up of it come let us know!
Post Date: 17th Sep, 2004 - 10:36pm / Post ID: #

Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago
A Friend

Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago - Page 8

Thanks JB for your reply. Let me start by saying that in dialogue we must agree to disagree. You ended your thread with some sarcasm. You implied that I was not being constructive... I respect your opinion. I am not knowledable of the amount of females that you associate with, however, I have quite a lot of female friends and these are the topics that we engage in. You alluded that only low class women respond to that type of behavior. You have shown your ignorance about male female relations on a human social level. I can name... well bring to your attention quite a few women who have subjected themselves to misogynistic behavior and are not of any low class. I don't want to bring into question your lack of relevant reading on the subject matter but this is not a one-sided issue. These cat callers will not use the same approach if it has failed in the pass. And any use of that type of behavior on a "higher class level" simply indicates such.
What do you mean by a big "if"? Don't make vague statements. This is a forum and you should say what you mean and make your point!!!!

You said that there are manuals to learn about women. Please direct me to them.
I believe that you are misguided in the area about human social behavior. We are not monolithic so you can't read a book and treat all women the same. Open dialogue will allow us to know each other- not a book. Remember we are also driven by instinct.

Again, you have dismissed my point of view and have not made a rebuttal to support your disagreement with my statement on "why women like thugs". Please lets make this discussion a free flow of ideas and opinions. I cannot learn from you if all you do is say."No", "I disagree" "not true" etc.

17th Sep, 2004 - 10:49pm / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Harassment Sexual

You ended your thread with some sarcasm.

We do not use sarcasm here. The link provided for you is to READ what we consider to be constructive. What I am saying to you is to read it! This advice has also been given to you on your intro thread.

I see you consider yourself knowledgable, BUT you must first become knowledgable about how discussion takes place on the forum. I have nothing to prove nor teach you. I am merely enforcing the rules. Rather than start to stereotype my knowledge and be deleted READ the FAQ of this community, learn it well and then return and post constructively.

Now you have made me go offtopic sufficiently to warrant that you have been warned.

You said that there are manuals to learn about women. Please direct me to them.

Off the top of my head I can think of two:
As A Man Thinketh - James Allen
Men - (author's name I cannot remember)
Bible - Excellent information there
Book of Mormon - Load of info there
Achieving a Celestial Marriage
Need more?

Lastly, your reply shows the typical arrogance displayed by most men who think that what they say must be swallowed. You expect me to provide you with a certain discussion which you have been unable to provide yourself. As I said before... read the FAQ.

Offtopic but,
UPDATE: The user was deleted as he had a perverted sense of humor. He did not know we were tracking the posts and boards they were trying to look at from New York. *shaking head*

Post Date: 18th Sep, 2004 - 8:47pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Now here is an interesting subject. but before you read this you have to recognize the source. I am a 250pnd 6'2" construction worker with a weathered apperance and long hair. I have been in and out of jail. And a lot more. I have never committed any sex crimes, but I have a misunderstanding of life and women. Well I have said some pretty crude things.
Construction workers are noted for their keen abilities in sexual harassment. And I have to say I have done my share of it. I understand the natural man and the sickness it breads. There is flirting, and then there is sexual harassment. Flirting is done with the intention of attracting the opposite sex. Sexual herrasment is done with the idea of over powering the opposite sex. I am assuming that this leaves the female feeling sick and powerless. When You flirt it shouldn't make the female feel sick. When I flirt I usually do it very passively now. Or I just act myself. Sexual harassment I think stems from wanting to show the women how strong you are, and a sick since of self gratification. I agree with JB. It is a very weak and ignorant character that has to sexually harassing women for attention. If one has to abuse women to feel like a man then he is a whimp. I know some women are attracted to that. And those women have weak characters. I don't think a lot of times they know how far it will go. I don't think a lot of people know the difference between harassment and flirting.
About 1.5 years ago me and my crew were working on a house in a rich niehborhood. About 2 o-clock in the afternoon this beautiful redhead that was about 30 walked by. That is when the heckling began. We thought she was walking by just for us. She ignored it. This happened for a few days till she told us how disgusting we were. We started laughing. One of the guys bet me I wouldn't go and talk to her. I took that bet, after all I was a man. I walked up to her and started saying some pretty bad things. She kept walking and I kept going. I didn't want anyone to see I couldn't do something so simple. So I got in front of her. She was looking down. I told her to look at me. She looked up crying. I remember feeling so sick. I apologized 10 times to her. I don't even like thinking about it. Maybe she was monitoring us, or just walking. I would have monitored us. She was a person and I must have made her feel like nothing. Sticks and stones will brake my bones, but words will never hirt me. That saying is wrong. Words do hurt. The crew said I was a sissy. About 2 days later they said it again. I told all 5 of them to get down and come talk to me. I challenged each and every one of them to fight. They didn't. I then challenged all 5 of them at the same time. They didn't. I did that to prove a point. The point was they were weak, but I had to reestablished my position and I don't allow any more heckling. The moral is that there is a pretty visible line between flirting and harassment. And if you dig a little, I think everyone instictivly knows the difference.
And you guys can write all the letters you want, but if it doesn't hit the local goverments pocket book. Then it wont do any good. I know there is power in media. But I would try to find someone with legal and political power. I am sure if it is a real serious problem there then there is already someone working on it. Support them. Protests are aggrivateing. What you protestors call negotiation, politicians call damage control, but I really don't know it might work.

18th Sep, 2004 - 9:55pm / Post ID: #

Page 8 Tobago and Trinidad Harassment Sexual

Excellent Killian, and people like Valantine are the whimps that make men look bad, they prey on the weak because it makes them feel good (similar to your construction buddies). Little do they know.... every idle word...

As for what you said about the government - sure, there are reports in the newspapers, laws are inacted , etc. etc. The problem is that the people in authority and even the police themselves are doing this so how can the people be expected to be upstanding. You have to understand the Trini culture. The people are born into a vice like lifestyle where drinking, partying and disrespecting women are all considered a normal part of life and if you think otherwise you are the weird one. There are some families who are deeply religious that do not allow this... but that is the problem, people have to be religious to understand respect?

18th Sep, 2004 - 10:47pm / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Harassment Sexual

Killian, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It takes a 'real man' to admit when you have done something wrong. In my experience with real people every day here in Trinidad, I still thinking that a particularly class of women like that kind of 'attention' and 'harrasment', the mistake of the men here is that they are not smart enough to know with which kind of women that will actually 'work'.

Post Date: 19th Sep, 2004 - 7:02pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Sounds hopless to me. That sucks. I wonder how many crimes dont get reported there. I would carry rotwieler, some mace, and a colt 45. It sounds like a lovely culture.

20th Sep, 2004 - 1:14am / Post ID: #

Sexual Harassment Trinidad & Tobago - Page 8

Sounds hopless to me. That sucks. I wonder how many crimes dont get reported there. I would carry rotwieler, some mace, and a colt 45. It sounds like a lovely culture.

Look at today for instance, my husband had a meeting today at Church so I left with my 4 years old son, I was standing with a whole bunch of other people waiting for a taxi and when I passed this guy, he said 'Hi beautiful'. I know people may think that's nothing wrong with that, but through the internet I cannot express the tone of voice he used, not to mention that I was holding hands with my 4 years old boy....for heaven's sake! what's wrong with this people?. And you see if you do not 'fall' for it, they think 'Oh, she thinks she's too hot!' rolleyes.gif
It's really sickening...and you know what's sickening the most? is that they tell these things to ALL women, no matter how they look like!: fat, skinny, short, tall, young, old, you name it!.

Offtopic but,
The crime situation in this country is really bad, I'm from Argentina and my husband is a Trinidadian, that's why we live here but we are hoping to move to Argentina in January, the crime situation there is pretty bad too but I hope is not as bad as it is here, specially the sexual crimes.

Post Date: 3rd Dec, 2004 - 10:07am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Sexual Harassment Trinidad & Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 8

Trinidadian men have this socially conditioned behavior towards women, which is passed on generation to generation, because you see it as early as when boys are in primary school entering high school, due to what they have seen & heard growing up.
I would admit I have cousins who cannot see a girl without throwing a comment their way, but on the other hand my brother doesn't do this due to his upbringing and respect for us.
Heckling women is almost like part of the culture now.
Women don't fight it anymore because the harassment has become a pre set bias.

Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,