Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago - Page 9 of 16

Actually, this harassment issue has gone to - Page 9 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 1st Apr, 2006 - 7:47pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 16 pgs.  5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...Latest (16) »

?
Poll: [Added 24 March, 2006]: What do you think about the level of Sexual Harrasment in T&T...
  It is ridiculous, tougher laws are needed       60.00%
  It is really bad, but is now an 'acceptable' culture       26.67%
  It is bad, but I live with it       0.00%
  I really have not thought about it       13.33%
  I am guilty of this and need to change       0.00%
  I am guilty of this and will not change       0.00%
Total Votes: 15
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Why do women in Trinidad & Tobago have to be disrespected and persecuted? If you are fed up of it come let us know!
23rd Feb, 2005 - 11:16pm / Post ID: #

Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago - Page 9

What is the solution? Do women in Trinidad & Tobago want to find a resolve? I have never really seen or heard any women of influence taking a strong public stand on the matter.

24th Feb, 2005 - 12:59am / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Harassment Sexual

Do women in Trinidad & Tobago want to find a resolve?

I do not know what do you exactly mean by that...I think the men are the ones who need to stop the harrasing, therefore, they are the ones that need to come up with a solution.

24th Feb, 2005 - 1:03am / Post ID: #

Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Yes, the men need to stop, but what I am saying is that if women just expect the typical man on the street to stop then they have another thing coming. Of necessity there will need to be some tough laws and some women to bring up men who do this.

24th Feb, 2005 - 1:08am / Post ID: #

Page 9 Tobago and Trinidad Harassment Sexual

How can women in Trinidad be expected to bring men into court for sexual harrasment when it is a cultural thing?. From the CEO to the taxi driver, men in Trinidad are sexually harrasing women on a daily basis...yet think they are being "nice" to them. Some women even like that kind of "attention" (why do you think they dress the way they do here!). So really, I do not see any solution at all, but I forsee a much worst situation.

3rd Mar, 2005 - 10:54pm / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Harassment Sexual

While passing through one of our busy towns today I saw a guy licking his lips, when I looked to see if it was a box of chicken and chips that was alluring his saliva - lo and behold it was a woman - a latina to boot (maybe I should have put this in the 'Trini men love Venezuela women more' thread). Walking a little further I saw a man eyeballing something as though there was a hot sale, nope, not really a sale - a woman just simply standing waiting to take a taxi. With this level of vice in the men's minds it seems like they undress every woman they see - sick.

Post Date: 3rd May, 2005 - 5:11pm / Post ID: #

Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago
A Friend

I guess there should be a more generalized thread including women from all over the place... because it's the same thing everywhere. We just have to accept that men are men, and whether provoked or not, they will continue to be this way until the end of days. (keep in mind... not all men... but most) I know plenty of men that are respectful of women, and with that said, it doesn't mean that they don't have urges and thoughts like other men, but they just have the ability to control it, and not salivate as a nice looking woman walks by.
I have actually changed frequently visited convenience stores/grocers/restaurants for the simple reason of being disrespected by men loitering around the entrances. LDS said it too, that she even gets "the calls" when her son is with her! I now go out of my way to go to different stores (etc) to just be able to go in and do what I need to do. I think it's sad, but it's obvious that nothing much is going to change. And, it's not that we are choosing to be submissive, but we know it is a hopeless fight.

Post Date: 1st Apr, 2006 - 4:05pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Sexual Harassment Trinidad & Tobago - Page 9

QUOTE (ReneeTpaUSA @ 3-May 05, 12:11 PM)
I guess there should be a more generalized thread including women from all over the place... because it's the same thing everywhere. 

Absolutely - I'm glad someone else said it. If getting cat-calls on the street is what we're calling sexual harassment here, then I've been harassed in New York, Toronto, Venezuela, Barbados - you name it.

Before I try to fight against the "boys will be boys" attitude, I'd try to fight discrimination and harassment in the workplace. Women in Trinidad get passed over for promotion, or even in hiring, for men all the time. They'd rather hire us as secretaries or receptionists, even when we're more qualified than the man they hired in our place, as manager. I've been there, believe me.

I'd fight against the managers who think it's their right to harass, touch, or even sleep with their female workers - and would fire her if she doesn't "play along". Believe me, I've been there too, and I've seen it happen to my friends, repeatedly.

Tackle the big issues, the smaller ones will follow.

1st Apr, 2006 - 7:47pm / Post ID: #

Sexual Harassment Trinidad & Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 9

Actually, this harassment issue has gone to another level where the women are also taking up the habit. On several occasions I have also been the target of both heckles and stares by women much to my surprise, what is this place coming to?

QUOTE (Trinichic)
Absolutely - I'm glad someone else said it. If getting cat-calls on the street is what we're calling sexual harassment here, then I've been harassed in New York, Toronto, Venezuela, Barbados - you name it.

You know, I have lived (not just visited) in many areas of the world and I do agree that it happens everywhere, but not to the degree that it happens here. I think it becomes disturbing when from your house corner to the street corner almost each man both walking and driving has to say something - this is not an occasional thing - it is an all the time thing.

Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,