This kind of thing would make me think twice about being a teacher there. I am glad that I am a security expert instead. :)
Each night TV6 shows amateur video of senior school children fighting. Much of he footage is of a girl fighting a girl or a boy fighting a girl in what I call pot hound style fighting. Rarely do you see a boy fighting a boy unless it ends in hospitalization or murder. What do you think is the solution to this?
There were a couple of important points brought up today via Education Authorities:
1. Metal detectors should be installed in schools
2. Violence stems from the children being severely abused at home
1. Not sure if it will work specially in those schools with a large amount of kids.
2. Did they do a research to find out THAT? I'm mean, come on! They don't have to be geniuses to come up with that conclusion.
I'm seeing a serious issue with school violence in Trinidad however I don't see many shocking people, why? As I read the case of Niyoka Folkes who was brutally beaten outside her school many thoughts came to my mind...
One of them is...sometimes you hear of school fights in other places (I lived abroad so I know) and you know sometimes young people encourage each other to fight and they say things like "Hey hit him!" and things like that (of course its unacceptable) but what these girls were saying to one of them?
STAB HER, STAB HER! What the hell is wrong with our people? Can we see that Trinidad is sinking and sinking deeper and deeper every day? This is not normal behaviour!
There is a project being conducted by UWI about secondary school violence. According to TV6 News the complete findings will be available in June but for now it was found that:
* 86% of students have been involved in school violence
* High percentages of students have contemplated suicide
* Most of the influence for this negative thinking trend has been attributed to 'gangster' music available through the internet.
In a report by TV6 the latest escalation of violence in certain Trinidad schools is for pupils to pick fights and then have their friends record it and post the video online.
JB, that's not new! They have been doing that for years. I don't know why TV6 is showing it like it's something recent, it has been going on for a long time.