How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live? - Page 25 of 35

Why are they moving to Trinidad? Why can't - Page 25 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 25th May, 2013 - 10:45pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 35 pgs.  21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  ...Latest (35) »
When thinking of a good place to live, you must first seek after safety and security, not rum and fete.
How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live? Related Information to How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live?
7th May, 2013 - 2:19pm / Post ID: #

How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live? - Page 25

There is no area without crime now, everyone is touched by it. You're more likely to be outside the constant crime areas if you can pay top dollar but real estate in Trinidad so expensive that you have to sell your soul to the devil in order to get a shack to live in.

Sponsored Links:
7th May, 2013 - 7:01pm / Post ID: #

Live Tobago and Trinidad Good How

international QUOTE (JoePublic @ 7-May 13, 2:09 PM)
I [am] thinking of moving back home but I would like to know which is [the] best area to move to don't want no crime area.

All posh areas are crime prone as those are the areas that criminals would target. To lessen the chance of a break in, you would have to try to live in a gated community. The following are some of the better areas in Trinidad:

Port-of-Spain and surroundings: Federation Park, Ellerslie Park, Moka (Gardens and Heights), Perseverance, Fairways, La Seiva, St. Clair, Westmoorings, Bayshore, Goodwood Park, Parts of Diego Martin. Opposite the Long Circular Mall has some expensive apartments as well.

The East: Valsayn Park, Parts of Maracas Valley, Parts of Santa Cruz

Trincity especially Millennium Park and even Sunrise Park.

Arima/ D'abadie: Crescent Gardens, Santa Monica Gardens, Timberland Park, La Resource (D'abadie), Parts of Calvary Hill, Santa Rosa West, Sierra Vista, Christina Gardens, Leotaud Lands (O'Meara), Buena Vista? Or Vista Park? Manadalay on the Cocorite Road

Central: Lange Park and Orchard Gardens (chaguanas). A new area is Roystonia in Couva but it is more normal middle class, Cedar Park (Couva)

South: Sumadh Gardens, Bel Air, Gulf View, St. Joseph Village, Palmiste Park

25th May, 2013 - 9:34pm / Post ID: #

How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live? Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

international QUOTE (tinydancer)
My questions were: can they go to school there? Is there tuition for foreigners? Furthermore, he is a middle school student taking high school classes and she is in an advanced elementary school. Will they be placed appropriately? Thank you for listening. I have many questions to follow including health care.

From your Introduction I will try to answer you here. If your daughter has no blood / marriage connection to T&T then she will need a work permit before she can get a job here. This can be very costly, I do not know the current figure but it is around US$3,000+. I am not certain about the children getting into the school system without some kind of visa / permit either. I implore you to seek the attention of the nearest T&T Consulate / Embassy to her current location and find out. Some of your other questions are addressed in the other Threads I linked to in your Intro Thread but I can forewarn you from experience (I attended high school in the US) that the US / Trinidadian systems of education are vastly different not only in the curriculum but more especially in the teaching methods.

25th May, 2013 - 10:01pm / Post ID: #

Page 25 Live Tobago and Trinidad Good How

international QUOTE
My questions were: can they go to school there? Is there tuition for foreigners? Furthermore, he is a middle school student taking high school classes and she is in an advanced elementary school. Will they be placed appropriately? Thank you for listening. I have many questions to follow including health care.

Hello, I read your intro thread. I am also an Educator. How old is he? We do not have middle school here and unless they go to one of the few good/prestigious public schools who tend to be located in Port of Spain, I doubt he will be placed in some sort of advanced class in a normal public school. Not to mention the very poor infrastructure of most average public schools where a lot of times, the classrooms are divided by curtains.

If you tell me at least the location in Trinidad where your family will live, I could give you some names of some schools so you can find out. Keep in mind that the few prestigious public schools (or government-assisted schools) tend to be single-sex schools and children in primary school must pass a rigid exam in order to be given a place in these schools, so space is extremely limited.

Post Date: 25th May, 2013 - 10:14pm / Post ID: #

How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live?
A Friend

Live Tobago and Trinidad Good How

Thank you so much for the information. This is a complicated situation. The only information I have is that she is moving to POS. She is still here in America and is planning on looking for an apartment in June and bringing the kids to Trinidad in August. I understand the cost of housing/apartments is very high in the safe parts of POS. I don't see here able to afford the nicer areas. Are there any magnet schools in the outlying areas where housing is less expensive? As I accumulate information, more questions arise. How safe is it for two white children to go to school there. How safe are they in this country with single Mom that has only been there for two weeks on two occasions? I want to stay open minded.

25th May, 2013 - 10:38pm / Post ID: #

How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live?

Crime is a big issue here, and as foreigners the kids will stand out especially if they are Caucasian and live in areas outside of the West or where foreigners normally do live. If they can pass for Trinis then they should not have a problem so long as they stay street smart. You will most definitely need someone to show you where to go and where not to. Living further away from the higher priced areas will also be an even greater culture shock for them. The word "Primitive" Can easily sum up how many areas outside of POS can be when compared with the US. With this said I do not know their background or standard of living so I cannot ascertain if they can get used to things if you don't have the money with which to 'umbrella' the transition. I think you should invest some time looking though the pages of this Board: Trinidad & Tobago so you can get an idea of what it is like.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th May, 2013 - 10:39pm / Post ID: #

How Good Trinidad & Tobago Live - Page 25

Rent everywhere in POS is very expensive, and if you see the apartments, it's nothing luxurious but they charge you in a lot of cases in US dollars and in the thousands.

You mentioned two white children and I am getting a little concerned due to the very serious crime situation in the country and the false impression that white people are wealthy and if you end up living in a not so nice area, they can be easily targeted. Crime is a VERY serious issue here with 142 murders for the year so far. I am not trying to scare you, I am trying to inform you so you know what the reality is. We even have a local TV show dedicated only to crime, that's how bad it is.

If you are making a move here from the US, you need to be able to afford the nicer/safer areas.

25th May, 2013 - 10:45pm / Post ID: #

How Good Trinidad & Tobago Live Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 25

Why are they moving to Trinidad? Why can't they stay in the US? Two white children living outside the West it's like calling for trouble. This isn't Hawaii if that's what your friend thinks, safety is a daily issue. The safer area is West Trinidad, possibly West Moorings, Bayshore but the rent in those areas is US$2,500 and up (monthly).

> TOPIC: How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,