How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live? - Page 26 of 35

As a white person from the developed world, - Page 26 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 26th May, 2013 - 3:20am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 35 pgs.  22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  ...Latest (35) »
When thinking of a good place to live, you must first seek after safety and security, not rum and fete.
How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live? Related Information to How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live?
Post Date: 26th May, 2013 - 1:29am / Post ID: #

How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live?
A Friend

How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live? - Page 26

She has a friend that has duel citizenship, US and Trinidad. The friend and her are moving back to start a restaurant, but both together cannot afford to live in the high rent districts. Thiperson s is not my friend. It is my daughter and grandchildren. My daughter has been there two times this year for two weeks each time, once for Mardi Gras. She also met a guy and this is another motivation to go. The kids will have no legitimate health insurance if they are injured or get ill. I understand the health insurance is free for citizens but the quality is questionable. The kids are used to a middleclass lifestyle in the US, they are excellent students, involved in sports, music and genuinely nice kids. Thank you for confirming my fears.

Sponsored Links:
26th May, 2013 - 1:42am / Post ID: #

Live Tobago and Trinidad Good How

It is interesting that you as the grandmother is the one concerned, how does your daughter feel about all this? We are talking about children here.

Coming to Trinidad for a few weeks and then move just because she wants to open a business and yet cannot afford a good area is a huge red blag, she also needs to be careful about the kind of guy she met here. Perhaps he is a genuinely good person but there are also many of the other kind who are abusive and don't like to work and taking into consideration that she has young children, she needs to be extra careful. She seems to be rushing into this move, I advise against it (with all due respect).

Experiencing the island as a tourist and living here is a completely different story and it's crazy to think about moving after spending only a few weeks, sorry for the bluntness.

I would strongly suggest to think carefully about this. If money wasn't an issue and she had no children, I would have said well let's see and move to the nicer areas but this is not the case, and because of that it is something she needs to seriously considered.

I live in the West (West Moorings) where most foreigners live and even though it is considered probably the top and most exclusive neighborhood (along with St. Clair and a few others), we still have our own problems with burglaries.

Post Date: 26th May, 2013 - 2:28am / Post ID: #

A Friend

How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live? Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

My daughter believes her Trinidad friend. When I suggest that for many reasons this is not in the best interest of her or her children, she tells me I do not know what her friend knows about Trinidad. She believes her friend will help her out with the new culture. She seems to be blind to the evidence. In all my research, it is hard to find any good reason for a single white American mother to take her children to Trinidad.
Believe me, my daughter-in-law is from Central America and she came to America to learn English and pay off her college debt. She met my son and now teaches at an international school. People from third world countries come here for a better life, seldom do we leave to live in third world countries. Unless, of course, we have money to live safely and comfortably.
I have no legal rights to the children and cannot stop her from taking them.
I am hoping that she cannot get an extended visa. I don't know how much influence her friend has in getting her an extended visa. Information has been hard and often conflicting. Often, the embassy phones are not manned. The wonderful people on this blog have been the most helpful. Many Thanks!
I appreciate your input!

26th May, 2013 - 2:37am / Post ID: #

Page 26 Live Tobago and Trinidad Good How

Tinydancer, what a difficult situation. She seems to have her mind set about it and will not believe otherwise, maybe she wants to move so quickly and so badly because of the person she met.

I just hope she knows what she is doing because with no money that can afford a nice living here (and by that, I mean living like she is accustomed there, US middle class which here is considered upper class) then the kids will suffer.

In the worst case scenario, at least when they reach make sure to get the children registered in the US Embassy in case of emergencies.

26th May, 2013 - 2:52am / Post ID: #

Live Tobago and Trinidad Good How

There are several options in the East such as Valsayn, Maracas Valley, Trincity (East Gate on the Greens) that are cheaper than the West and I've known foreigners to live there. There are a few white lecturers in Trinidad and they live in places like Trincity, Santa Margarita, St. Augustine and Valsayn.
In Trincity, Millennium Park, Sunrise Park and EastGate on the Greens are gated communities and there's a mall nearby along with Trinity College East and Bishop's Anstey High with more modern facilities. I see some white foreigners and latinos in Trincity Mall all the time so if she really needs to come here she has options that are cheaper than western Trinidad.

26th May, 2013 - 3:00am / Post ID: #

Those areas Cagel mentioned may be a bit cheaper but they are still very expensive. If you're coming without money then you don't want to start out paying high rent.

I'm curious though. Why doesn't the guy she likes go up there instead? Or if its really something serious then I hope he has a good job and his own home because if its that you have to rent and have children already then it will get expensive fast.

Maybe you can take care of the kids while she properly checks out Trinidad and the guy first and make sure she really likes it.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 26th May, 2013 - 3:19am / Post ID: #

A Friend

How Good Trinidad & Tobago Live - Page 26

Thank you for suggesting registering the children at the embassy. Do you know if they have to be there or can this be done beforehand? The little girl loves to run and wins races and is very accomplished soccer player in the US. Her team is comparable to some of the best soccer teams in the country. What are the opportunities for her to play soccer? Will she be respected or bullied?
Both kids are excellent students. The boy is taking high school courses, plays the violin and is an accomplished soccer player. The girl is in a top ten elementary school in our state. Will they be placed appropriately? Are there tests for placement? Is the education free for them or tuition? I asked this question before, but I didn't get an answer yet. I looked into private schools but the cost very high. Are there scholarships for kids?

26th May, 2013 - 3:20am / Post ID: #

How Good Trinidad & Tobago Live Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 26

As a white person from the developed world, she may find it hard to find acceptable housing below $5 000TT monthly which would still get her an ok house in Santa Monica Gardens, D'abadie and she would have PriceSmart not too far away. There are no really nice schools in the area though nor are there many expats to hang with.

Foreigners from the developed world come to Trinidad sponsored by oil and petrochemical companies or at least to work in the professions. It is not expat-friendly outside these sectors.

> TOPIC: How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,