How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live? - Page 7 of 35

TriniChic, you make some good points, but - Page 7 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 1st Apr, 2006 - 3:39pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 35 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...Latest (35) »
When thinking of a good place to live, you must first seek after safety and security, not rum and fete.
How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live? Related Information to How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live?
20th May, 2005 - 9:43pm / Post ID: #

How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live? - Page 7

So, now I am observing from the outside and I have to wonder... is Trinidad going down the tubes? I mean look at the headlines just for today only:

* SHOT SON DIES Cop on bail re-arrested, faces murder charge
* Man slits throats of two women (one of them was 84 years old)
* Cops search Panday's office - now we are talking about the Opposition Leader here
* Man dies in pipeline explosion
* Third body found (of three that washed on shore)
* Car slams into firemen, 5 injured
* 2 more killed when men break into home announcing they are there to rob and kill
* Woman bites cop

Now the funny thing about this is usually these would be the headlines for maybe over the course of a week or two for anywhere else in the world, but as you can see this is the happenings for ONE day in Trinidad... come on... a small island with 1.1 million has all this happening in one day?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 22nd May, 2005 - 7:29pm / Post ID: #

How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live?
A Friend

Live Tobago and Trinidad Good How

Greetings. I've read the thread. It comes down pretty hard on Trinidad. I haven't visited the country and plan to do so. I've thought, based on very little information but the great geography, that I might want to retire to Tobago. Most of the posts focus on complaints about Trinidad. What about Tobago? Are people kidnapped and subject to a lot of crime there as well? A few posts talked about racism. As I am white, would I be subject to a lot of racism in Tobago? Thanks for your help. Ralph smile.gif

22nd May, 2005 - 7:42pm / Post ID: #

How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live? Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Well, what would you want - the truth or colorful words from a tourist magazine? The thread seems scary and it is... and I bet you if you ask anyone anywhere about Trinidad and say, "What are the best things about Trinidad & Tobago?" they will hardly to never mention anything about safety, education, economy or health, but there will be talk of liming (partying), fetes (partying), great beer or rum (associated with partying), etc.

However, as far as the weather and landscape it is beautiful, unfortunately the people do not care much for their country so you have to wait til you go to natural and / or tourist places before you see this beauty.

You asked about Tobago. Until about a year ago Tobago was basically untouched from most all of the things that are described in this thread, but unfortunately that is changing, but crime is still no where as near the level it is in Trinidad. Many foreigners live and own property in Tobago including many movie stars so you will not find yourself isolated - the locals are used to this.

Post Date: 15th Nov, 2005 - 7:10pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 7 Live Tobago and Trinidad Good How

Hey guys,

I have been travelling to Trinidad for almost 12 years now, I have seen this island grow, and I mean grow. The money is flowing.

I am in the process now of opening a business in Trinidad, Port of Spain because of the opportunities in Trinidad. In North America it is very hard these days to make a buck, you can not just go out and open a business like you can in Trinidad.

Now in Trinidad if you apply North American / Canadian standards to the way you do business, you are sure to succeed.

Yeah thye crime is bad in T-N-T but just try to blend in, don't drive the BMW M3, don't flash cash. I am a white boy and I have never had a problem down their, and their is no where I would not go in Trinidad at any hour. ( Maybe it is my Tattoo's) I don't know, but I feel safe all over the island.

I am friendly with anyone I meet, and the more people you know the safer you are. Yes the island is a little corrupt, but what Toronto isn't ?

As for schools, well if you are coming from Canada, you must look at Private school, the Maple Leaf school is excellent. I mean excellent, it follows the Ontario standards.

Good luck, and see you at Smokey and Bunties

3rd Jan, 2006 - 6:44am / Post ID: #

Live Tobago and Trinidad Good How

QUOTE (Kawasakikid)
Good luck, and see you at Smokey and Bunties

No pun intended, but your last line is classic with the thinking of Trinidadians... in fact, Smokey and Bunties was the scene of another bomb explosion that injured a couple of people. Sometimes blending in helps, but really, what are people to do. You could have been just passing by and been involved in this act of terrorism. Here is another example, some girls went on an outing in Toco, they get robbed and one is kidnapped. They were not flashing anything, they were just trying to have some fun within a house.

Post Date: 1st Apr, 2006 - 3:25pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 13-Dec 02, 8:27 AM)
If you ask them that (why they do not come back) they will say that the US has, the money, the education, the opportunity, etc. So then in reality they are saying T&T do not have money/education/opportunities... all we are good for here is fete and party.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Trinidad's standard of education (not counting the International School, or Maple Leaf) is actually higher than the US and Canada - which is why, when our students get the opportunity to go to college/university over there, the "c" average student here, all of a sudden is an "a" student over there.

As for life in Trinidad being so difficult... yes it is difficult, for the middle and lower class people. Why is that? Because our upper class is so very corrupt. When arguably the wealthiest man in the country is willing to obviously purjure himself in court to 'cover' a political bribe - I see that as a prime example of the worst of our nation's problems.

As a wise man once said, "society, like fish, rots from the head, down - not in the other direction"

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Apr, 2006 - 3:34pm / Post ID: #

How Good Trinidad & Tobago Live - Page 7

Trinichick:

I don't know if you've noticed, but Trinidad's standard of education (not counting the International School, or Maple Leaf) is actually higher than the US and Canada - which is why, when our students get the opportunity to go to college/university over there, the "c" average student here, all of a sudden is an "a" student over there.

I used to think that way, but as I teacher (I worked in private, government and the so called "prestigious" schools here) I noticed the standard of education have dropped dramatically, you get a very few of those students who may go to the US and Canada and become an "a" student over there. Most of the students are average and the curriculums compared to other countries are not as demanding as it was before. This is of course just my perspective based on my experience living in three different countries.

Now, regards to the upper class being very corrupt, I think you're right but let's not forget that the lower and middle class are also very corrupt. You see it every day but the small illegal acts people commit and think it is "normal" because everybody do it.

1st Apr, 2006 - 3:39pm / Post ID: #

How Good Trinidad & Tobago Live Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 7

TriniChic, you make some good points, but corruption in powerful positions is something that exists in every country. I doubt that it is the sole reason for the problems in T&T. It certainly doesn't help the situation, but it is not the reason. Your assessment of education is also valid, but from my first-hand experience, education is only afforded to those who pass exams, and I believe that doesn't help.
I have been exposed to the education system both in the US and Trinidad. In the US, everyone is given a fair shake, even those who are less intelligent, or can't take tests well. In Trinidad, if you are not intelligent to pass CE, guess what, you don't get to go to school. Now you have to figure out what to do with your life. Most likely that person is going to get into bad things. I have seen it with my own eyes, people who drop out of school because they fail CE and then turn to crime. By the time I am taking CXC's, they are into drugs, in jail, or dead.
A good society starts with the young people, and education is the best remedy for that, in my opinion. So the young man who fails CE at the age of 12, give him another opportunity to do something. Don't tell him he is not worth anybody's time.

> TOPIC: How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,