Carnival - Good or Bad? - Page 3 of 6

This is nothing new, they have been talking - Page 3 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 26th Feb, 2008 - 10:23am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

?
Poll: Do you like Carnival?
  Yes       76.92%
  No       23.08%
Total Votes: 13
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Trinidad Carnival
Carnival - Good or Bad? Related Information to Carnival - Good or Bad?
16th Jan, 2008 - 12:32pm / Post ID: #

Carnival - Good or Bad? - Page 3

BestCook:

From reading the paper or watching the news it is always some bible toting Christian that has a problem. And u can tell what they are extreme from the context of their letters or speech(church this church that).

I don't really understand. I assume you are not a religious person (belong to any religion) otherwise if you do belong to a religious organization then it is logical to follow what that particular religious group teaches about certain issues. I do not see that as "Bible toting Christians", extremist or fanatics but simply being true to the faith you chose. Let me also remind you that not all Christian groups are against Carnival. I was quite surprised to see the amount of support the Catholic folks give to the whole event.

But I believe if people have a problem with carnival they should try their best to bring up other opposition points other than "the church".

Well I suppose is a little harder because most of our beliefs in life are somehow connected to religion or dogma. Let me give you an example. If I say I think one of the bad things about Carnival is that women do not respect themselves by wearing practically nothing (not mentioning "The Church"), I would connect that with the sacredness of the body (religious dogma) when someone who is not religious may see their body only to show it off.

Sponsored Links:
16th Jan, 2008 - 1:24pm / Post ID: #

Bad Good Carnival

Actually, looking through this Thread the only person that brought up religion was BestCook, such irony in that. We do not talk about religion outside of the Religious related Boards and thus contributions made here have to do with morale standards of each individual poster and not necessarily religious concepts. I think the kind of Discussion you are looking for can be found at: This Location.

16th Jan, 2008 - 3:17pm / Post ID: #

Carnival - Good or Bad? Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

I love carnival. There you see some of the most beautiful women in the world and then after that they all go in hiding laugh.gif.

Post Date: 26th Jan, 2008 - 6:51pm / Post ID: #

Carnival - Good or Bad?
A Friend

Page 3 Bad Good Carnival

JB umm I believe that I am pretty internet savvy and I can find my way around the boards just fine thank you. As for the religious thing I never said anyone in this post brought it up...I was just stating my overall observations. rolleyes.gif

26th Jan, 2008 - 7:02pm / Post ID: #

Bad Good Carnival

Who you rolling eyes at? Being internet savvy has nothing to do with our policy. We simply do not emphasize religion outside of the Religious Boards. Carnival being good or bad: right now we have a crime wave, things are grossly inflated, people are in many cases without homes or proper care, but guess what - let's all jump to music, drink until we are silly and spend enormous amounts on one costume for a couple of days - does that sound good or bad?

5th Feb, 2008 - 2:58pm / Post ID: #

Carnival - Good or Bad?

Carnival safe? Crime-free? Yeah right. rolleyes.gif

Carnival violence leaves five dead

The Carnival has been marred with violence, as five men, among them the brother of attorney Wayne Sturge, were killed in separate incidents during last Friday's Soca Monarch competition and J"Ouvert morning.

Their deaths have pushed the year's murder toll to 50.

Several others were stabbed and robbed during the Carnival celebrations.

It was only last week that Police Commissioner Trevor Paul announced that no one would spoil the mas, while Tourism Minister Joseph Ross said tourists had nothing to fear.

Nicholas Sturge died at Port-of-Spain General Hospital on Sunday, after he was stabbed during Friday's Soca Monarch at Queen's Park Oval.

Sturge, 25, of Greenhill Village in Diego Martin, died after suffering from multiple stab wounds to his back, detectives said.

A report said Sturge was at the competition around 5 am on Saturday when he was accosted by two men who attempted to rob him.

Sturge struggled with the men and was stabbed in the back. The men disappeared in the crowd.

Sturge was taken to hospital, but succumbed to his injuries.

Three other patrons were stabbed at the Oval and taken to hospital for treatment.

Up to late yesterday evening, one partygoer was listed in critical condition. The other two patrons were treated and discharged.

Wayne Sturge Snr, father of the deceased, complained in a telephone interview about the lack of proper treatment at the hospital and from the police.

He said nurses ignored his son when he complained of breathing problems.

"My son cried in pain and we (relatives) told the nurses, who only said he saw a doctor half-an-hour ago."

"I don't want money; it can't bring back my son. I want justice for them doctors to face the penalty. They are lapsing." .

The irate father said when he spoke to a police officer, he said he could not do anything, because of the lack of evidence.

Former Laventille Executive Council member Sheldon "Croc" Scott, of Picton Road, was killed on Sunday night at Fatima Trace in Laventille.

Police said Scott, described as "Most Wanted and notorious," died around 9 pm.

A report said residents heard several loud explosions. On checking, Scott's body was found in a pool of blood.

Macdonald Padmore, public relations officer of the Laventille Executive Council, said men were killing for fame or a stupid cause....

https://guardian.co.tt/news1.html

And these are just the murders (that pushes now to 50 for this year). I am not counting the stabbings and shootings (list available on same link).

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th Feb, 2008 - 1:57pm / Post ID: #

Carnival Good Bad - Page 3

What a tremendous waste of money and resources! Can you imagine how much could be done with $450 million dollars for Health, Education, Prevention of Crime and so many other issues affecting the country? But what the heck I am talking about if this is the land of fete and rum! And they like it so. rolleyes.gif

Construction of the new National Carnival and Entertainment Centre will start in September, Culture Minister Marlene McDonald has said.

"Construction will start in September 2008 and we are hoping that by the first quarter of 2010 the Centre will be completed," McDonald told the Express in a telephone interview.

"The design is finished but we are just doing the final tweaking. We will then invite tenders and award contracts."

Construction of the proposed $450 million National Carnival and Entertainment Centre came to a halt last year because the design was being reviewed.

Prime Minister Patrick Manning had made the announcement of the work contract stoppage in November 2007, almost a month and a half after the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (Udecott) said the Requests for Proposals for the project were to have been issued "in the coming weeks".

Manning then said: "The Carnival Centre is on hold because of the events of Carnival this year and the need to rethink the design in the face of all of that."

26th Feb, 2008 - 10:23am / Post ID: #

Carnival Good Bad Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 3

This is nothing new, they have been talking about it for years. It is just another way to boost tourism here. Another way to also ensure that the noise levels around the Savannah reach the usual unbearable limits as I am sure it will be used year round for other events.

Carnival - Good or Bad?
Carnival - Good or Bad? (Hover)

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Carnival - Good or Bad?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,