Carnival - Good or Bad? - Page 2 of 6

I did not necessarily call you a religious - Page 2 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 16th Jan, 2008 - 3:56am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

?
Poll: Do you like Carnival?
  Yes       76.92%
  No       23.08%
Total Votes: 13
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Trinidad Carnival
Carnival - Good or Bad? Related Information to Carnival - Good or Bad?
22nd May, 2004 - 4:20am / Post ID: #

Carnival - Good or Bad? - Page 2

Yes, you do Alex because the mentality of the population is what need to be changed. I agree with most of your points, but you see? some Trinis think that in order to have fun you have to get drunk, have sex with everybody and if you don't, it is because you don't know how to have fun rolleyes.gif It is sickening.

Sponsored Links:
30th May, 2004 - 5:13pm / Post ID: #

Bad Good Carnival

some Trinis think that in order to have fun you have to get drunk, have sex with everybody and if you don't, it is because you don't know how to have fun

Why is this? Why do Trinis have this mentality more so than other countries? Don't you think the calypso songs promote and encourage this type of behavior? People speak about the American culture and how corrupt it is, yet you dont see the type of vulgarity that exists at Carnival, and if you did, it is quicky diffused.

30th May, 2004 - 9:04pm / Post ID: #

Carnival - Good or Bad? Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Self-Respect is key. Most North Americans at least have some kind of value system where they set limits for what is acceptable behavior in public, but here the limits are almost gone, they are also established by the music which proclaim, 'Do wa yuh want', 'misbehave', 'wine', etc.

9th Mar, 2007 - 8:19pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Bad Good Carnival

Long ago, Carnival was considered an art but nowadays, it is a great opportunity for those to make money. Bandleaders like Peter Minshall, Wayne Berkeley and Raoul Garib were the real artists in Carnival. Especially Peter Minshall. It is sad to see that the costumes that are designed every year by these so call new generation of costume designers, show no creativity at all. It is the same thing over and over except for changing the colours in the costume. These costumes are bearing a strong resemblance to those seen in Rio De Janeiro! What amazes me the most is that people never seem to object to paying for more and receiving less and less each year. Many years ago, I remember someone even joked about buying a costume. The person says that he remembers paying for his costume by placing the money in an envelope and receiving his costume in an envelope! Carnival also seems to be a good time for those to shed all our morals and values. It is no wonder why Aids is on the rise as well as unwanted pregnancies! Personally, the only good thing about Carnival is the two days you are allowed to take a break from work and to spend time with those you love.

26th Jul, 2007 - 7:01pm / Post ID: #

Bad Good Carnival

I never liked Carnival but as I have lived abroad I see where Trinis can be more civil minded and behave themselves more. People can have fun without being rude! Nothing wrong with whining and other stuff but that gets old real fast!
Where is the couth in T&T?

Post Date: 15th Jan, 2008 - 3:01am / Post ID: #

Carnival - Good or Bad?
A Friend

Carnival - Good or Bad?

I respect the other opinions in this post but I for one love Trinidad Carnival! I am not a born and bred trinbagonian but I am second generation. I recently started going to Trinidad for carnival and I must say it is one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen(an I've seen alot). Sure Carnival has lost its way from what it was in the past(my mom always tells me stories) but its still a truly great celebration. I mean why do you guys think so many people from all over the WORLD are coming down to join in the festivities? The recent surge in the popularity of Trinidad Carnival had lead to many returning carnival goers to seek accommodation elsewhere as all the regular places are booked earlier and earlier each year! I live in the US and I cant count how many Trinidad carnival specials I have seen and visitors always have positive reviews. Every Year I manage to encourage more and more of my friends to come down, I even did a presentation at school on Trinidad Carnival and got a standing ovation! My whole class including my professor said they would come down.
The only time I hear about people not liking carnival is when religious extremist decide they want to protest or write in to the newspapers saying that "Carnival filled with to much of vice, etc". I mean come on has anyone seen Mardi Gras(girl taking off their tops for beads of all thing), The Island of Ibiza(its a wild party there 24/7 and 365), Brazil Carnival(I have heard very slack stories from my male friends who have visited),etc. I'm sure there are more vice filled festivals in the world that I have left out. My point is that its a celebration and some people get a little extreme and do distasteful things but everyone is not like that. Many people enjoy the carnival season without an alcoholic beverage, cigarette, or illegal drugs! Carnival is a time for visitors and the people of Trinidad to take a break from there cares, "free up", take a lil jump and wine(not skin up like a villa capri jammette) and enjoy themselves. Some of you would scare people doing a little research on carnival into thinking that its like some kind of extreme roman pagan festival with naked people in the street drinking and doing drugs along with some kind of big orgy! Gimme a break guys.
My only problem with carnival in Trinidad is that the government is taking the whole thing for granted and not allotting enough police and army officials to secure its tourist and citizens from criminals. The government also needs to keep the craft of wire bending alive. I see a resurgence in the love of Pan with more artist making pan songs for the season.
I'm sorry for those of you who do not love soca and the Carnival festivities but I'm elated to tell you that Trinidad carnival will not change(except for the gripes I pointed out), and it will continue on forever because too many people love it and it is too much of a money maker for the Island.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
15th Jan, 2008 - 3:52am / Post ID: #

Carnival Good Bad - Page 2

Bestcook:

I mean why do you guys think so many people from all over the WORLD are coming down to join in the festivities?

Because a lot of people love vice.

I live in the US and I cant count how many Trinidad carnival specials I have seen and visitors always have positive reviews.

And let me guess..the positive reviews are about women, drinking and wining? Yep: VICE.

The only time I hear about people not liking carnival is when religious extremist decide they want to protest or write in to the newspapers saying that "Carnival filled with to much of vice, etc"

laugh.gif I did not know I was a religious extremist. Nice one. Anyhow, your choice of words are interesting..so those who do not agree with exposing their bodies like fresh meat, having a complete stranger behind your butt simulating sex are suddenly religious "extremists"?

I mean come on has anyone seen Mardi Gras(girl taking off their tops for beads of all thing), The Island of Ibiza(its a wild party there 24/7 and 365), Brazil Carnival(I have heard very slack stories from my male friends who have visited),etc. I'm sure there are more vice filled festivals in the world that I have left out

Oh yeah, I am sure there are a hundred more...but in my opinion does not make it acceptable just because other countries do it.

I'm sorry for those of you who do not love soca and the Carnival festivities but I'm elated to tell you that Trinidad carnival will not change(except for the gripes I pointed out), and it will continue on forever because too many people love it and it is too much of a money maker for the Island.

You are absolutely right. That's why the country is in the state that it is..."people like it so". And because it is (as you said) going to continue forever, it is better to work hard and get out of the ship as soon as possible. Just like you did.

Post Date: 16th Jan, 2008 - 3:56am / Post ID: #

Carnival - Good or Bad?
A Friend

Carnival Good Bad Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 2

I did not necessarily call you a religious extremist...I am saying what I have observed while in Trinidad. From reading the paper or watching the news it is always some bible toting Christian that has a problem. And u can tell what they are extreme from the context of their letters or speech(church this church that). And I don't have a problem with peoples religion as my mothers family are baptist and Orisha. But I believe if people have a problem with carnival they should try their best to bring up other opposition points other than "the church".
And I respect your views since you did your best to separate the two and bring up other valid points(even though Hiv for one is spread year round since I have observed Caribbean men on the whole have little respect for condom use).
As for me jumping ship, it never happened since I never really lived in Trinidad outside of an extended vacation of 6 months.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Carnival - Good or Bad?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,