Spanking Children In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 4 of 6

I am unsure if I would be using England, Canada - Page 4 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 10th Sep, 2008 - 1:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Disciplining a child in T&T - giving licks - spank
Post Date: 30th Dec, 2006 - 12:06am / Post ID: #

Spanking Children In Trinidad & Tobago
A Friend

Spanking Children In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 4

I don't agree with physical punishment for children but I see that here in Trinidad is something very common. What are your thoughts about spanking and physical punishment in general?

This was the original question and I hope to provide another perspective, as I believe that there is a greater issue that is foundational. In was looking for information regarding my country of birth and I came across this website and was very taken by the information, opinions and ideas placed forward that gave a me a better sense of what is happening in the country at present.

A common thread is violence and the resultant social dysfunction in the overall breaking down of societal norms contained within the oxymoron of operative chaos. I understand that people will become defensive and I respect that but look at some of the topics presented and try to imagine that you are an outsider looking in. The two primary exports from Trinidad and Tobago are oil and people, education and energy, and from the sounds of it that will remain a constant. The country was blessed/cursed with the luxury of not having its inhabitants, like the vast majority of counties in the Caribbean, run around with a plate of food in one hand and drink in the other. However, there is still this ill-fitting reference to Trinidad as a developing country. A quote from the United Nations years ago reads something to the effect that- you can judge the character of nation by the way that it treats its children.

The references that are made by people describing this subject are spankings, discipline, punishment, corporal punishment and the colloquialism of "licks" and it is noteworthy to mention that, I do not believe that anyone who was born in the country used the term beating. I want to move from this because the application of semantics is simply the gentrification of and seeks to classify and grade what has been essentially recognized by the civilized world as an act of violence.

It is correct to assert that the level of severity of someone hitting someone with a hand, stick, belt, or whatever is accessible is viewed by common law in the assessment of the charge and the seriousness of the injury however; it is adjunctive to the first charge, which is assault. By your own words these acts are commonplace and infusive in your society and are carried out by care givers of children on every level insofar as it is ingrained and accepted in the state sponsored educational system therefore violence becomes a sanctified method of social interaction and conflict resolution. The cycle of violence is reinforced and learned in the development and social stages of childhood development. It is not surprising that domestic violence in Trinidad is beyond epidemic and also an unmentioned and renowned export of the country that rivals pan music, roti, and carnival. Reflecting on the list of social problems plaguing the country a large majority can be traced to this "cultural practice" as a foundation for the development of a country and it comes as no surprise that it is in such a disgraceful mess.

Violence against children is nothing new to societies however; it is an anomaly to societies with universal suffrage and the rule of law. No one should be able to hit anyone else; it is assault, which is an offense that punishable by law. It is really that simple and it stretches from the classroom to the bedroom.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please learn how to use the Quote Tags. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

Sponsored Links:
30th Dec, 2006 - 2:13am / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Children Spanking

Charles, you make some great points. Yes, it is assault, it is violence but Trinidadians in general do not see it as such, they think in extremes...they think is abuse or assault when a parent reaches the point of burning the hand of their child in the stove or sexually abusing the child. I cannot count the many times I heard "If licks are so bad, then look at me, I did not turn that bad" and what do you think this same person is doing with their child? It's a vicious cycle that needs to stop.

It is part of the culture of Trinidad and Tobago, it is so internalized within it that have become socially acceptable in all sort of areas. Some people are even bold to continue hitting kids at school knowing that it may cause them legal problems. In the last school I was working (private one) I saw the Principal beating up a 13 years old kid on his bottom with a thick wooden stick 10 times. I tried to stop him but he won't listen. The kid had LOTS of issues but instead of helping him the choice was "licks", after all, it is "his" fault. But is his? He is just a victim of a savage society that believes physical punishment is the solution for almost all problems.

You know how hard it is as a mother to see another mom beating a child who can hardly walk in public? Many of these "moms" are teens who are so frustrated by their overwhelming responsibility that end up treating their own kids in the most cruel manners.

I will say 90% of the population in Trinidad is in favor of some sort of physical punishment towards kids, the saddest thing is that a society that does not learn through sad experiences (recent child murders and abuse becoming prevalent) is a society that needs a wake-up call and if murders of kids in the hands of their own parents does not move anybody to stop using violence, then...nothing else will stop them.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 30th Dec, 2006 - 2:16am

Post Date: 3rd Sep, 2008 - 12:42am / Post ID: #

Spanking Children In Trinidad & Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Name: Missymiss

Comments: First of all the Bible says,"spear the rod spoil the child". Even though beating was used as a form of punishment in slavery, it is also a form of discipline.

3rd Sep, 2008 - 1:42am / Post ID: #

Page 4 Tobago and Trinidad Children Spanking

I think sometimes that morals are relative, and only apply relative to societies.

In Western societies, people in general don't really care that much about homosexuality for instance, but I notice here that people are more opposed to it. I think Trinidad also is a more religious society and that religion plays a greater role in daily life.

So the spanking of children is probably more attuned with Trinidadian morals. I suppose it's the old idea that children should be seen and not heard.

10th Sep, 2008 - 3:54am / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Children Spanking

I think we should understand first and foremost that Trinidad is a young nation. We are going through all the trials of becoming First World. OK the slave masters used the whip and some people think that this is the only form of guidance available to us. What we are enduring is the 'ironing out' of all the kinks in the system. The US say they are going to ensure peace in the middle east by declaring war on terrorism. Yeah drop some bombs over there and kill a few thousand people, that will surely bring peace. Back to Trinidad, our education system is based on the British system, corporal punishment was used there until not too long ago, they have abolished it and they too are reeling from the backlash of it. Results, positive results, cannot be achieved overnight. It takes time, corporal punishment is not as rampant as it was a few years ago, I have been in the system for some time now, I am seeing a change. It maybe too slow for some but I believe it will happen.

10th Sep, 2008 - 4:07am / Post ID: #

Spanking Children In Trinidad & Tobago

QUOTE (lordryoko @ 9-Sep 08, 11:54 PM)
our education system is based on the British system, corporal punishment was used there until not too long ago.

England abolished corporal punishment in government schools 20 years ago!

As long as the mentality does not change, teachers will continue beating children. I am not surprised though, I find people in general quiet aggressive here and quick to physically react when things don't go their way.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
10th Sep, 2008 - 5:31am / Post ID: #

Spanking Children Trinidad & Tobago - Page 4

uh exactly my point England did it 20 years ago, we abolished it less than 10 years ago, As I said we are still ironing out the differences. You will be surprised at the number of parents who do not agree with corporal punishment.

10th Sep, 2008 - 1:12pm / Post ID: #

Spanking Children Trinidad & Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 4

I am unsure if I would be using England, Canada or the USA to form any school after.

Violence in rampant in them as is disrespect for the teacher and other students. In all three countries I personally know teachers in young grades. the stories they tell me which are not uncommon occurrences are awful.

I say keep corporal punishment and god in your schools!

Then maybe you will over achieve in the goals you seek. A swat is just that one swat on the bottom with a bare hand and should not be done in school. There are many ways for corporal punishment and that is what the rod is you are break a basic moral and we are going to let you know it is wrong. The part most forget is to reteach that moral and teach the child to repent its wrong and seek to make atonement.

What was the old saying my mind only remembers what my bottom does not forget.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Spanking Children In Trinidad & Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,