Overcoming Game Addiction - Page 4 of 17

As for game addiction I don't believe - Page 4 - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 8th Jul, 2008 - 8:42am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (17) »

?
Poll: Are you addicted to games to the point that you need help?
  Yes       19.30%
  No       61.40%
  I am not sure       19.30%
Total Votes: 57
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
There must be a point and time when you can put down the joystick and paddles and hit the off button, if not, you need help.
Overcoming Game Addiction Related Information to Overcoming Game Addiction
3rd Apr, 2006 - 4:13am / Post ID: #

Overcoming Game Addiction - Page 4

I myself had a very bad game addiction in my later high school and college years. I found myself spending most all of my spare time and much of the time that I should have been resting on my computer. I kept the excuse that I just wanted to accomplish one more quest before I go to bed. But as with all RPG based games each quest does nothing more than open up yet another. I was spending a minimum of 3 nights without sleep each week on top of spending my entire evening playing. I do not recall ever actually seeking help from anyone nor really talking to anyone about it. At the time I do not believe that I really felt that I had any type of addiction. Finally I had a girlfriend influence me and help me to see that I did have a major problem. She pointed out that not only was I spending all of my time playing I was also using my computer at work for many times 4 or more hours per day. With much effort from her I was able to finally break the addiction. For this reason I am very careful when I start researching a new game that I would like to try. I feel that it would be all too easy to fall back into my old habits if I do not keep a tight hold on myself at every point that I choose to play.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 6th Apr, 2006 - 3:58pm / Post ID: #

Overcoming Game Addiction
A Friend

Addiction Game Overcoming

I'm not addicted to video games, computer games on the other hand, I might. I bought Elders Scroll IV: Oblivion on March 21, 2006, April 2 at 10:30 I had beaten Oblivion. So I had beaten the best game ever created in 12 Days. Do you think I'm addicted. biggrin.gif

6th Apr, 2006 - 4:04pm / Post ID: #

Overcoming Game Addiction Gaming Video & Issues Computer

Weisenberger, not only are you addicted, but I think you may have just a little bit too much time on your hands that could be spent doing something else? spock.gif

Post Date: 26th Jun, 2007 - 11:50pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Page 4 Addiction Game Overcoming

VIDEO GAME ADDICTION 'DISORDER' - DOCTORS

New Zealand psychologists say video game addiction should be officially recognised as a psychiatric disorder.
Ref. https://www.stuff.co.nz/hlc/1,,93498~4109044a28~,00.html

Post Date: 26th Jul, 2007 - 9:10am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Addiction Game Overcoming

I Used to have some serious trouble, Morning, Day and Night was spent non-stop on one of the MMORPG.
The only thing that helped me quit was my now darling wife.

I could not see anything better then sitting infront of the screen for 15-20 hours a day, very little sleep then straight back at it. I put on a load of weight and became quite prone to colds and bugs.
I look back now and cant believe how much of a slob I was whilst into that RPG, Never ever again will I get addicted.

8th May, 2008 - 12:06am / Post ID: #

QUOTE (News @ 26-Jun 07, 6:50 PM)
VIDEO GAME ADDICTION 'DISORDER' - DOCTORS

New Zealand psychologists say video game addiction should be officially recognised as a psychiatric disorder.
Ref. https://www.stuff.co.nz/hlc/1,,93498~4109044a28~,00.html

Now I think it's quite ridiculous that the same people who want to ban GTAIV also want to recognize game addiction as a real disorder. I already don't trust them.

Anyway- I don't agree with JB's assessment of what you do as being a signal of video game addiction. I don't know anyone who doesn't get mad at a game when something goes wrong- you get over it in 2 seconds- probably respawn- and go play again. about the not responding when someone calls your name... I've done that while reading a really good book- it just means I'm really involved in what I'm doing at the moment. You must have latest game at all costs- I think that's in line with buying the latest clothing- your friends want it, you need it. I haven't bought GTAIV- it doesn't interest me as much as game I look forward to. Am I going to buy it anyway- it's a possibility.

The other two about spending your last penny and talking about video games at the table I have to agree with you on. That's a bit over the top and someone who does that needs to get their priorities straight.

You could also have added playing games non-stop for more than 18 hours straight- I think that's a sign of addiction. I could never do that with reading a book- my eyes get buggy reading for super long times (5 hrs or more- I have done that). And that's the problem with adding this- there isn't really any other hobby out there that takes away your sense of time as much as video gaming. You like sports, hiking, other athletic activities- you have to take a break, your body gets tired. You like making things with your hands- can get close b/c you can lose your sense of time with that- but eventually your body would get tired from being in awkward position (say in making a wooden table or something of that nature). Video gaming- you body never lets you know time's passing except in needing to go to the bathroom (go and come back) and eating (you eat while you play).

So that one doesn't really work. And I have played a game for about 18 hrs straight, maybe slightly longer. Body needing sleep didn't enter the equation somehow- I wasn't drinking energy drinks or anything- I was just really involved.

The good thing is if I don't have a game I want to play I don't play anything- I've gone months without playing a video game.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 19th Jun, 2008 - 6:05pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Overcoming Game Addiction - Page 4

To the person who is looking for a way to convince his g/f to let him play the game he wants, the best way is to get her to join you. If that fails, you strike up deals. For every hour that you play your game, you have to do something for her or with her that she likes. Other than that, I can't think of anything.

As for the computer game addiction thing, I'm definitely addicted. Horribly addicted. However, as I get older, outside activities are getting more and more interesting. For instance, I met the most wonderful man in the world and spending time with him is way more enjoyable than any game. I also recently bought myself a really expensive bike and it's such a joy to ride. Then there's the other fact that I'm adult now and I have to work to pay the bills and do groceries and clean the house, etc, etc. The more I do things like this away from the computer, the easier and easer it is to a) stay away from the computer altogether and or cool.gif spend less time at the computer in one sitting.

Post Date: 8th Jul, 2008 - 8:42am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Overcoming Game Addiction Computer Issues & Video Gaming - Page 4

As for game addiction I don't believe that I am addicted, Infact I believe game addiction comes with your view on games themselves.

I myself view games as art and have grown up with all the best of games and I look specifically at obsessive lengthy storylines and gameplay features, Games with 60 hours of gameplay would last me about a 2 months depending what other games I am playing at the time.

As for not being able to hear people talking to me while playing games, I usually wear a headset and listen to some old rock in the background of playing the odd adventure game, but my brother just listens to in game sound and I admit if I shout at him, he would not hear me.

Getting mad at games for losing comes with your natural state of mind and how the developers of the specific game wants to make you feel (Like when you've been killed and the enemy, Real or A.I and it, he or she taunts at high speed), it also associates with how comfortable you are with losing and your ego, honestly, games that have a single and multiplayer modes are the best examples of ego builders, playing a Single player mode in which most games gradually build up your confidence and make you feel the best, then switching to online mode just to get Destroyed with all your pride, this is why most games say "Game Experience may differ online" but wanting to get better at a game can lead to addiction, my brother was Cursing and throwing insults at the screen the other day, I found it quite amusing but also don't like to see him getting worked up playing a game, it is in fact just a game after all.

As a hopeful Game Developer in the future I am constantly reminded of the latest games and accessories yet I still do not feel the need to burden myself with getting them, unless it is a particular game that interests me, and still I would have to go and read reviews of them before I do.

In actual fact game addiction isn't all that bad if its a game like Brain Training, Wii Fit or a game with educational properties.

Nighfox [Cy]

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (17) »

> TOPIC: Overcoming Game Addiction

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,