Overcoming Game Addiction - Page 12 of 17

I've been addicted to gaming since - Page 12 - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 5th Mar, 2017 - 11:55pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 17 pgs.  8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ...Latest (17) »

?
Poll: Are you addicted to games to the point that you need help?
  Yes       19.30%
  No       61.40%
  I am not sure       19.30%
Total Votes: 57
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
There must be a point and time when you can put down the joystick and paddles and hit the off button, if not, you need help.
Overcoming Game Addiction Related Information to Overcoming Game Addiction
Post Date: 3rd Mar, 2016 - 4:03pm / Post ID: #

Overcoming Game Addiction
A Friend

Overcoming Game Addiction - Page 12

international QUOTE (Comstat @ 3-Mar 16, 4:42 AM)
I don't know Chris, you can like something a lot without becoming addicted.

I am aware of what I need to do to get by such that I won't have to give up my addiction. You know how some alcoholics "Manage" their drinking? They might have a bud light when they wake up in the morning, and they'll need another one in the afternoon, and probably one more in the evening, just to make it through each day? Some of them seem to get by, and do ok, so long as no one offers them a shot of whiskey and they give in, and lose control again. Of course there are a lot of alcoholics who cannot drink like that and would basically kill themselves if they didn't stop drinking completely.

Rather off topic, but...
Years ago I used to smoke more than a pack a day of cigarettes, I quit without patches or medication. So I have some personal experience with other forms of addiction. I used to binge drink - I stopped drinking that much, because I knew I didn't want to have to give up alcohol completely, I dreaded the idea of being an alcoholic who simply couldn't drink at all.

When I was in high school I turned to computer games as an escape mechanism, as a kind of therapy for myself. I think there's good chance I would not have survived to adulthood without that escape from reality.

I continue to turn to a video game to escape from reality, and there are some things that I would like to accomplish, that I don't, to a large extent because of the time I spend/waste playing this game. It's not entirely a "Waste", it does serve some purpose, but it also is not very productive, and not a good value in terms of "Return" on the amount of time invested.

[..]

When I have time to myself, instead of being productive I use this game to escape. I have a couple stories that the few people I've shared with said are really good, but I'm very discouraged about pursuing them further.

Sponsored Links:
8th Mar, 2016 - 11:24am / Post ID: #

Addiction Game Overcoming

Perhaps Chris can find an alternative method that also makes his time productive. For instance instead of a video game maybe a physical game that way you get your exercise in as well. Chris' example is a classic example of how someone sees that they have a problem but at the same time aren't direct about what actions they will take to correct it. In other words they are satisfied with their state. This isn't to say that Chris' video game addiction is seriously affecting him but that even he has noticed that its not productive in his life.

13th Apr, 2016 - 12:20pm / Post ID: #

Overcoming Game Addiction Gaming Video & Issues Computer

My gaming consumption is like my alcohol consumption. I don't do it all the time (Maybe 1/2months), but when I do, I binge. I will find one cool game that has been out for a while and finally buy it (Or around the holidays and get it for a present), but then I'll play it for an entire weekend to the exclusion to almost anything else. I am happily married and my wife is fine with this. She helps me make sure I take care of myself whenever I do binge play video games, but likes to see that I have interest in something. Most of the time I am working or interacting with my family, but once every couple of months I need me time.

I also don't agree with your (JB) assessment of how to qualify as addicted to video games. I would add the caveat that if you meet any of your qualifications to the point that they actually disrupt your life. I ignore almost everything while I am playing, but I don't play often enough for it to actually disrupt my life. I get upset when I lose while I'm playing to the point that my mood changes for the worse significantly, but not to the point that I am abusive (To myself or others). And I may talk about the cool game I am playing quite frequently, but not to the exclusion of letting others talk or in taking interest in what they have to say.

28th May, 2016 - 1:40pm / Post ID: #

Page 12 Addiction Game Overcoming

The best way to overcome one addiction is to become addicted to something else healthier. The thing about games is it has no other value other than entertainment so as an addiction you won't get anything else done. At least if you're into sports your body gets exercise.

Post Date: 14th Jun, 2016 - 10:42am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Addiction Game Overcoming

Video game playing negatively influences adequate sleep and bedtimes

A new study found that gamers will push off obtaining adequate sleep in order to continue video gaming. Results show that on average, gamers delayed going to bed 36 percent of the nights they played video games. Average game playing was 4.6 nights per week. The average delay in bedtime on the nights spent gaming was 101 minutes. Ref. Source 4e.

Post Date: 14th Dec, 2016 - 1:04am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Man admits to spending $1M on video game

A Northern California man pleaded guilty in federal court last week to wire fraud and money laundering, admitting he stolen nearly $5 million from his job as a heavy-equipment operator and spent about $1 million of it on a video game. Ref. Source 1z.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 5th Mar, 2017 - 9:50pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Overcoming Game Addiction - Page 12

I'm addicted to gaming, but it's the least expensive addiction I've seen so I'm alright with it. I don't allow it to interrupt my time with my wife and daughters, but I certainly do miss out on some sleep most nights!

Post Date: 5th Mar, 2017 - 11:55pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Overcoming Game Addiction Computer Issues & Video Gaming - Page 12

I've been addicted to gaming since I was young. I think it's because I have an active imagination. That said, I don't see it as a bad thing. Sure, I'm a bit of a geek, but I'm a bit not. Just like everyone else, I'm complicated and this gaming addiction is part of me.

> TOPIC: Overcoming Game Addiction

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,