Violence & Sex in Games - Page 3 of 23

I've played all !! - Page 3 - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 8th Nov, 2004 - 5:40pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (23) »

?
Poll: I think Violence and Sex in video games is...
  Terrible and should be removed       29.82%
  Okay once it is done in good taste       28.07%
  Fine, nothing wrong with it at all       42.11%
Total Votes: 57
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Discuss  Violence & Sex in Games Is all that violence and sex in video games really necessary to entertain?
26th Aug, 2004 - 3:22am / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games - Page 3

ReneeisXena, although I understand what you are saying the point remains is this... how can that be entertainment? How can shooting people with no purpose behind it be 'fun'? Now if you have a WWII game and you are killing the Germans to rescue some captured soldiers then I understand the 'purpose', but how does you as a 'criminal' (as in GTA) start shooting people and trying to escape and break the 'law' add up to fun? For me the brain is like a sponge - whatever it soaks in that will it do. You may not think the game is affecting you, but wait til the moment is just right when all the forces that be act upon you and suddenly you realize that you reacted rather violent or aggressive to a given situation that you might have normally reacted that way..

Post Date: 26th Aug, 2004 - 12:49pm / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games
A Friend

Games Sex and Violence

JB, Exactly what I was thinking when reading her post. I still don't get it, no one has ever told me how being the criminal is fun. I think its discusting personally. Like JB said, I can see the point in games like Ghost Recon, where you kill terrorists, but games like GTA, The Streets of LA, True Crime, Ect.. are pointless killing games.
There are fun games out there that arn't pointless like the ones stated above.

26th Aug, 2004 - 4:10pm / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games Gaming Video & Issues Computer

JB, I don't worry that I may someday become overly violent because I play Vice City. You see I know the difference between real life and a game. In Vice City you get to live vicariously through a gangster. You are chased by the police and hunted by gang members. It is exciting to outwit the police, to make it to a pay and spray where your vehicle is changed so the police don't recognize you. I have no desire to do the same in real life. I have played all kinds of video games since the mid 70's and some have been violent and some haven't. In most of the more popular games there is some kind of violence. I understand your concerns, I don't like the idea of children playing these games. I think the age limits should be strictly enforced. You pointed out that in war games you are against a force like the Germans in WWII. That's true, but in a game such as Age of Empires there is no clear cut enemy, in the campaign mode you can choose who to be and who will be the enemy. This isn't as graphically violent as Vice City, but it still involves killing and conquring others. Whether the 'end' is to gain land and defeat armies or to acquire money and property as in Vice City, the game play is fun. This is only my opinion of course.

26th Aug, 2004 - 5:07pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Games Sex and Violence

JB, I don't worry that I may someday become overly violent because I play Vice City. You see I know the difference between real life and a game.

I never said anything about becoming overly violent, read what I said again neither knowing the difference between reality and fiction. My concern is how the violence can be considered 'fun'. The fact that something like that can be considered 'fun' already indicates some 'absorbtion' by the brain as was discussed earlier. The result may not be manifest in radical violence or aggression, but sure - there are other factors.

This isn't as graphically violent as Vice City, but it still involves killing and conquring others.

I am not sure I understand your point here. They are two different games entirely, one is about history and the other... well... we are discussing that now. All in my view.

26th Aug, 2004 - 5:56pm / Post ID: #

Games Sex and Violence

Point taken JB. I guess 'fun' is a relative term. Some people find jumping out of airplanes 'fun' personally I think it's crazy. Maybe what I should have said is that Vice City and the like, are exciting. There are other things in this game besides killing. One of my favorite things is Unique Stunt Jumps. That's where you would use a Motorcycle to jump over or on top of things. The object is to set a distance or height record. I would never even ride a cycle much less jump over anything, but it's fun to do it in a game. I again say that age limits on these games should be very strict and parents need to know what their kids are playing. This is just my opinion of course.

Post Date: 28th Aug, 2004 - 2:00am / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games
A Friend

Violence & Sex in Games

I may be stating the obvious, but another thing I would like to point out is this: older players who enjoy games with sex and/or violence should be constantly aware of others in the same room. This goes especially for parents or mature teens who have younger siblings. Of course, noone would want to disrespect an elder by subjecting them to one's questionable tastes either.

In my house there are certain games I forbid my husband to play when our sons are awake.

Reconcile Edited: fugitive247 on 28th Aug, 2004 - 2:01am

Post Date: 8th Sep, 2004 - 12:59am / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games
A Friend

Violence & Sex Games - Page 3

Content in games has caused me to rethink my game buying strategy (as well as "less than stellar" gameplay, but that's another matter). At first it was just sex based material that I was avoiding completely, but I've noticed I've never cared for shooters much either (except for about 2 or 3). Worse yet, my favorite genre, Role Playing Games, is plagued with problems that stem back to ESRB's rating methods, which I believe consist of the company sending a video clips from the game to ESRB (mentioned here on their website). I've found three separate games that had nude content that was not mentioned in the descripters, on the box OR online (one of those being Wizardry 8). That said, I now have to be even more careful.

Anyway, I have only four or five games I'm keeping an eye on that I'm think won't have any bad content beyond violence. All RPGs and four of them on PS2. Sadly, two of them have an extremely high chance of not getting released in the USA (Dragon Warrior 5 and Tales of Symphonia for PS2). *sigh* sad.gif

Post Date: 8th Nov, 2004 - 5:40pm / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games
A Friend

Violence & Sex Games Computer Issues & Video Gaming - Page 3

I've played all !! One of my favorit was "Carmagedon" ; that was a bloody game...
And being that was it's only asset. And it was toons of FUN !!! I can not explain way, but it was... I can not understand what is with this big debate about the violance in games . There is far more in the TV Jurnals... are those rated anyway?
There is this will of any parents to keep tha cildren out of reach of anything that could spoil ther minds, to keep everything under control...well that is imposible. Do you realy think that banning your cildren from something, anything...will acomplish something. No way...you have to raise him right and if you will do that will prouve to be enough. But you already know that and is not helping ...right?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (23) »
Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Violence & Sex in Games

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,